What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former first grade players in the local comp

Spike

First Grade
I was wondering if anyone can give me a run down on any former first grade players (Knights and others), playing in the local comp?

Scott Conley
Daniel Quinn
Scott Coxon
Daniel Smailes
Danny Costelloe

these are a few that I think might be playing, any others?

Juniors
Can't think of any others but Daniel Smailes plays for the mighty Cessnock Goannas and Scott Coxon recently retired from the Raymond Terrace Magpies.

Dunno of anymore. Is Troy Fletcher still going round for Western Suburbs Rosellas???

I'll do a bit of research and see if I can come up with anymore.

Matt23

Staff member
Troy Fletcher & Ben Donaldson are at wests, Fletcher is unsure weather he will play on or not...Wests are also trying to sign Justin Holbrook.

Troy Fletcher will shortly be announced Wests' Captain/Coach, he just has to wait out the end of his or the former coach's current contract before it becomes official.

Brett Grogan went to Raymond Terrace and played some great football for a few years, but his age started to catch up with him last year and he went back to reserve grade up there. You should see the smaller players try to tackle him.

Jason Moodie has just moved back to the area and is seeking a run with a local team. Tough to say who he'll go with at the moment, but expect a decision soon. I'd guess Souths for now. Ashley Gorden (sports teacher at Jesmond High) took over the coaching job there for a few years, he didn't do much with the team and lost the job.

Steve Storrie is still around as well. Leo Dynever has been lighting it up at the Blues for a few years now.

There's a ton of them.

roopy

Referee
There is starting to be a good bit of back and forth interchange between the Knights and the local comp, which should have always been the case.

I have to admit that I didn't get to a single local game this year, even though my side, Macquarie, had their best season for close to a decade. Anyway, I didn't see any of them running around, but guys who were signed to the Knights but not needed due to Flegg only going for a short time this season like Luke Dureau, Brad Wallace, Paul Hampson, Blake Tremain-Cannon and several more all played for different clubs in the local comp.
Other guys who were at the Knights last season like Clarrie Moran and big Dan Quinn had good seasons for local teams as well.

A few guys over the years have dropped back to the local comp from the knights and have improved their play and made a comeback. The most notable is Daniel Abraham who played the 2000 season for lakes I think, and Jarod O'Doherty became country player of the year after dropping out of the Knights, and then got re signed for two years and played a fair bit of firstgrade.

I think having Rip Taylor on the coaching staff of the Knights is the big difference this year, and also having Steve Burraston coaching at Macquarie and Troy Fletcher coaching at Wests. Rip knows the Newcastle comp inside out, and the other two are getting to know it, so ideas on players are flowing both ways now.

I think it will be seen as normal for guys to spend a season or two in the local comp as part of their footy development now. I still think Luke Dureau and the Wallace brothers will one day be star firstgraders, despite playing real NRL this season for much of the season.

The_Ben

Juniors
Dave Woods (Ex Parra and Penrith) and Jason Williams (Ex Dogs, Souths, NZ rep) play rugby for Hunter's Hill.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
Troy Fletcher will shortly be announced Wests' Captain/Coach, he just has to wait out the end of his or the former coach's current contract before it becomes official.

Brett Grogan went to Raymond Terrace and played some great football for a few years, but his age started to catch up with him last year and he went back to reserve grade up there. You should see the smaller players try to tackle him.

Jason Moodie has just moved back to the area and is seeking a run with a local team. Tough to say who he'll go with at the moment, but expect a decision soon. I'd guess Souths for now. Ashley Gorden (sports teacher at Jesmond High) took over the coaching job there for a few years, he didn't do much with the team and lost the job.

Steve Storrie is still around as well. Leo Dynever has been lighting it up at the Blues for a few years now.

There's a ton of them.

I was so happy when the knights got rid of grogan. He and rudder were the 2 players I couldn't stand the most and by a long way.

Grogan was one of if not the worst handler when it comes to holding on to the football. He was terrible against any kind of kick and his positional play was very poor.

Yeah... remember the day he scored 2 trys in reserve grade then backed up to score another 2 trys in first grade?

Probably working that day, huh?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
Yeah... remember the day he scored 2 trys in reserve grade then backed up to score another 2 trys in first grade?

Probably working that day, huh?

You can't honestly say he was a great player. He played well in reserve grade. But he wasn't upto first grade.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Can't go one day hey. Well that's a lie. But hey, we expect that from you.

You haven't bagged your great mate gidley yet today. What's wrong.

Terminator

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:

There's a ton of them.

I grew up with Steve Storrie in Kotara south, we werent mates or anything, I heard he played with the Knights about 12 years ago but didnt like the strict training, hes still a great player and to be still running around in 1st grade is a big achievement, I would say he would be going on 34.

About that, I'd say, Term.

Roopy, would I be right in saying Storrie had more than one attempt at making it with the Knights?

Latest posts