What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

mxlegend99

Referee
Their best player in the trial last week was Eli Clark. His path is blocked by Crichton and Xerri, We had plodders in the way. Different at the dogs
We also had some absolute beast guys that were developed and/or debuted with us even when we had Kingston, Walsh and Burns in the spine.

Coote at fullback developed by us... while we also had Lewis, Grant, McKendry, Jennings, Gordon, Graham etc. in the side. Not fringe first graders. But rep players. Guys to atleast be proud of developing.

Outside of Preston, who can Bulldogs be proud of developing? They've taken guys developed elsewhere and for the most part turned them to shit. I really hope that doesn't happen to Critter. Though if it does, we can get him back for cheap and he will thrive once again when he's not asked to carry a shit side on his shoulders.

Black Panther

Juniors
We also had some absolute beast guys that were developed and/or debuted with us even when we had Kingston, Walsh and Burns in the spine.

Coote at fullback developed by us... while we also had Lewis, Grant, McKendry, Jennings, Gordon, Graham etc. in the side. Not fringe first graders. But rep players. Guys to atleast be proud of developing.

Outside of Preston, who can Bulldogs be proud of developing? They've taken guys developed elsewhere and for the most part turned them to shit. I really hope that doesn't happen to Critter. Though if it does, we can get him back for cheap and he will thrive once again when he's not asked to carry a shit side on his shoulders.
Pretty sure Preston wasn’t a Junior Bulldogs player. I thought he came from Norths reserve grade.

Goonji

Juniors

Preston???

snickers007

Juniors
But f**k me dead the Bulldogs truly are pathetic when they can't pick a captain who has even played for their club yet. How can they not be embarrassed by that?

We've done the same thing in the past, eg. Civenoceva and Tamou

A true leader is a leader regardless of where they learnt their trade. And when you're trying to break the cycle of mediocrity you want the outside influencers to be the ones showing the way.

Probably the best decision Ciraldo has made since he went to the Dogs to be honest.

mxlegend99

Referee
We've done the same thing in the past, eg. Civenoceva and Tamou

A true leader is a leader regardless of where they learnt their trade. And when you're trying to break the cycle of mediocrity you want the outside influencers to be the ones showing the way.

Probably the best decision Ciraldo has made since he went to the Dogs to be honest.
I have no issue with where the players come from. It's captaining a club you haven't even played for yet that's my issue.

James Tamou was named captain in 2019. He had already played two seasons for us by that point. 2 and a half actually. It was mid-season and his taking over was when we went on a winning streak having just lost 6 straight under Maloney as captain.

Petero being named captain without having played for us was terrible. Especially when we had kind of veteran players in Tony Puletua, Trent Waterhouse and Luke Priddis at the time... and a young Luke Lewis. But what do you expect when we were being coached by Matt Elliott at the time and he had just come off winning a spoon. Dude was terrible at just about everything he did.

Petero ended up having himself and a group of others thinking they should run the club. Dude was an amazing player, but I don't think he was a good captain for us.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I have no issue with where the players come from. It's captaining a club you haven't even played for yet that's my issue.

James Tamou was named captain in 2019. He had already played two seasons for us by that point. 2 and a half actually. It was mid-season and his taking over was when we went on a winning streak having just lost 6 straight under Maloney as captain.

Petero being named captain without having played for us was terrible. Especially when we had kind of veteran players in Tony Puletua, Trent Waterhouse and Luke Priddis at the time... and a young Luke Lewis. But what do you expect when we were being coached by Matt Elliott at the time and he had just come off winning a spoon. Dude was terrible at just about everything he did.

Petero ended up having himself and a group of others thinking they should run the club. Dude was an amazing player, but I don't think he was a good captain for us.
Our worst ever signing

The yak

Juniors

Puletua was too quiet as captain in 06. Lang appointed him after Gower’s nudie rampage.
Elliott at that stage was trying to get rid of a lot of 03 side. Especially Priddis. A lot of those players left before their contracts ended.
He wanted Petro. Went hard for him. Maybe the carrot for bringing him here was captaincy?
I don't know. A lot of what Elliott did here didn't make sense

Last edited:

I remember the disharmony towards the end, I can't remember what it was about?

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Puletua was too quiet as captain in 06. Lang appointed him after Gower’s nudie rampage.
Elliott at that stage was trying to get rid of a lot of 03 side. Especially Priddis. A lot of those players left before their contracts ended.
He wanted Petro. Went hard for him. Maybe the carrot for bringing him here was captaincy?
I don't know. A lot of what Elliott did here didn't make sense
The carrot was paying him rep halfback type money. Very silly stuff

Fangs

Coach
Petero was pure luck. He was promised more pay at Brisbane but they went back on their word. He went to market and we were the only team who could pay.

Alternate history is grim. We stank back then and no one was really keen on playing here. That first Petero deal was a good one.

Sime_11

Juniors
if you had a King Wally/ Artie type player leader come to your struggling club - would you have an issue them as club captain without playing for the club?

those leaders you'd make an exception surely?

Critta as Dogs cap seems strange - but kudos to Critta - another W for the Panthers :)

Latest posts