What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former referee Kevin Roberts dies

getsmarty

Immortal
kroberts.jpg

MEDIA RELEASE

Former referee Kevin Roberts dies
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Wed 3 Jan 2018, 11:40 AM

The NRL has been saddened following the passing on Tuesday of former leading referee Kevin Roberts, aged 76.

Mr Roberts officiated in 272 first grade matches in a distinguished career from 1975 through to 1988.

He refereed three grand finals (1983-85), six State of Origin matches (1982, 1984-86) and four Test matches (1984, 1986).

Roberts was a Life Member of the Eastern Suburbs Referees Association, the South Sydney Referees Association and the NSW Rugby League.

As a player, he also represented South Sydney in 13 first-grade games (1960-62 and 1964-65).

“Refereeing lost one of its finest last night,” NRL General Manager Officiating Tony Archer said.

“Kevin’s on-field achievements were outstanding, but it was his support of others which stood him out from the rest.

“He always displayed a strong discipline - no doubt a quality from his policing days - and instilled that as a requirement in all young aspiring referees.

“The thoughts of the entire refereeing group go out to Kevin’s wife Annette, his two daughters and three grandchildren.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/03/former-referee-kevin-roberts-dies/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Todays referees tell the players to get up, get off him over and over.
The referee should not have to say a thing.
The players should know where they stand.
Roberts let the players know quick smart with a penalty or two if they were holding down too long or off side.

None of the rubbish of today where the refs talk the whole game.
Thats not earning respect from the players.

I tell you, they are all soft nowadays!

Vale Roberts.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes , he was a good ref and as OKB1 mentioned, he let the players know who was running the show . Not like those store mannequins , who pass for refs nowadays , who allow the beggars to get away with blue bluudy murder , just as long as the players remain on a first name basis with them .

TonyT6

Bench
Todays referees tell the players to get up, get off him over and over.
The referee should not have to say a thing.
The players should know where they stand.
Roberts let the players know quick smart with a penalty or two if they were holding down too long or off side

Yes , he was a good ref and as OKB1 mentioned, he let the players know who was running the show . Not like those store mannequins , who pass for refs nowadays , who allow the beggars to get away with blue bluudy murder , just as long as the players remain on a first name basis with them .

I know I shouldn’t speak Ill of the dead but he will never be forgiven for what he did to us in 84 & 85

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Agreed G67, today’s refs can’t make a decision yet spend the whole game talking...... funny that.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I know one should 'forgive and forget', but Roberts' actions in '84 and '85 still rankle.

It was a time where the term 'match fixing' entered my mind.

TT6 and Saint JimmyG, Forgot about all that. I do remember Hartley starting to be the show pony that he became.

Thanks gents for your timely reminder.

71saintsimon

Juniors
I know one should 'forgive and forget', but Roberts' actions in '84 and '85 still rankle.

It was a time where the term 'match fixing' entered my mind.
rip referee Roberts
Yes I remember the 84 preliminary final against parra he absolutely hammered Craig young with penalties drove parra up field and they scored at the death to go to grand final and again in 85 decider showed biased refereeing in favour of the dogs