What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Storm Boss Breaks Silence

Surrogate

Juniors
Storm boss breaks silence

10:10pm, Apr 28
BRIAN WALDRON Former Melbourne Storm CEO

Ex-Melbourne Storm boss, Brian Waldron, on success, failure and salary cap scandals.

Sport can be murderous, cold blooded, ferocious and cruel.

I’m not dramatising. I expect the likes of Matthew Elliott, Steve Kearney, Damien Hill, Michael Voss and Mark Neeld would agree. Scott Watters, Dean Robinson, and Cronulla coach-in-exile Shane Flanagan would also be nodding their heads in support.

Let’s ask the families of David Furner, Neil Henry, David Evans or Shane Flanagan if they think I am being melodramatic. They are most likely to feel the residual effects of their loved ones’ fall, be it through failure or disgrace. They provide the love and support to help them overcome the trauma of their demise and the public humiliation they endure.

Finger-pointing starts when a season that begins with promises and expectations rapidly becomes quicksand that leads to despair. It evokes a multitude of opinions about who is at fault and what remedial action is required.

For some clubs this is a regular occurrence while others routinely sit at the pinnacle, annually challenging for premierships. What sets them apart?

Sustainable success in sport is rooted in strategising, planning and, most essentially, executing plans. This is to mesh reality, align people with goals, and stay disciplined to achieve expected results.

Few clubs plan and execute well. Those that do rarely visit the wilderness. The best are easy to spot. Geelong’s latest version of their plan is titled Good to Great. It’s been a rolling plan since 1999. It states its purpose and has delivered. It’s no fluke. They’re in an elite class that includes Hawthorn, Manly and the Storm.

Regretfully I got ahead of myself. It’s absolutely appropriate that I apologise to all those hurt by my actions and I do so without reservation.
Others fail. Sometimes they fail on execution, incapable of staying the course. Or they can fail because of poor coaching appointments. Reputations of the highly-decorated have been corroded when they are coerced to give it one more go. Allan Jeans at Richmond and Malcolm Blight at St Kilda come to mind. Fortunately time heals these small nicks in magnificent careers.

There’s the impatient former great on-field warrior prematurely thrown in the deep end as head coach. Their spirit is willing but their inexperience is a burden. Some have never known failure. When confronted with it they can’t cope.

We’ve seen the anointed ones mentored by highly successful coaches. They appear ready but fall short. The expectation and pressure combined is too much.

Clubs can also fail because of poor recruiting. The short-term approach is the riskiest of strategies. Those who take this path can endure hardship for years. For a Richmond supporter, the mere mention of the selection of Richard Tambling over Buddy Franklin and Jarryd Roughead delivers excruciating pain akin to a Slurpee brain freeze.

Arguably the gravest failure in clubs is that driven by ego and emotion. It is a dangerous cocktail of trouble.

Invariably disaster happens when those in positions of authority or influence let their emotions and ego determine their decisions. Actions occur that are detrimental to the club, the interest of the code and sometimes even the health and well-being of the players. It causes great pain and invariably ends in tears.

In such situations boundaries are pushed collectively and individually. Processes are broken. Policies are ignored. Risks are taken. Expensive decisions are made in search of that competitive edge.

There are ramifications. Consequences can be dire and often near-terminal. Years of rebuilding may be required. Draft picks may be lost and financial penalties imposed. Points, even premierships stripped. Reputations and careers torched.

Responsibility for failure is rarely exclusive but it is appropriate that responsibility is attributed to leaders. This is just. Leaders are accountable whether by their actions, their inactions or their naivety. Be it about salary cap breaches, recruitment errors, coaching appointments or the pursuit of scientific advantage, the buck stops at the top.

I was a CEO across three major sporting codes – AFL, NRL and ARU – until revelations of salary cap breaches during my time at the Melbourne Storm led to my departure from the then fledgling Melbourne Rebels rugby union club.

For years I had a quote on my PC desktop from former Wallaby Coach Alan Jones. It was my mantra. It read:

There are no apologies in the pursuit of victory. In a tough caper like our’s, hard, far-reaching decisions have to be made that affect egos, income and careers.

I have received both praise and indignation for my work in sport administration. Regretfully the good is quickly forgotten when wrongdoings are laid bare. I understand and accept this is the consequence of inappropriate actions.

Regretfully I got ahead of myself. It’s absolutely appropriate that I apologise to all those hurt by my actions and I do so without reservation.

In sport people come and go and learnings are lost with them. It needn’t be that way. While failure can be a better teacher than success, I know which one I prefer. Good sporting organisations share the same philosophy.

Brian Waldron is a former CEO of St Kilda, Melbourne Storm and the Melbourne Rebels. He will write regularly for The New Daily on the business of sport.
http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2014/04/29/brian-waldron-clubs-fail-others-succeed/

4 years too late. He shouldn't have paid attention to Alan Jones.

Last edited:

Tayjack

Juniors
geez ur into him, warranted i suppose - but what about the way he apologised, it was almost like he was diverting attention from the apology to the fact it is seen as a common practise for people in that position to achieve success. Now thats ok, that it is - and it definitely happens elsewhere and will continue to happen in the future until the next club gets caught. But f**k me, if your going to apologise , just apologise - don't ramble about the other.

as a fan of the parramatta eels a club directly affected by the salary cap scandal i say shove your apology right up your arse wally then turn it sideways and push it in again

dont try to muddy the waters you didn't make a mistake you CHEATED both willfully and deliberately then went to great effort to hide evidence of said cheating from the nrl

i was very angry when this scandal first came to light at everyone the club, the players, the coach i have forgiven the club, players and coach but i will NEVER EVER forgive brian waldron

Patorick

Staff member
Differing subject, but still moar:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2014/04/30/new-afl-chief-needs-take-charge-asylum-waldron/

New AFL chief needs to take charge of the asylum

8:30pm, Apr 30
Brian Waldron Former Melbourne Storm CEO

The AFL has looked fast and loose since Andrew Demetriou announced he was leaving. New boss Gillon McLachlan and his president Mike Fitzpatrick need to regain control.

For decades the AFL has had a competitive edge over other codes. Its commission stood as a bastion of true independence devoid of the self-interest its competitors were riddled with. Indications are this position of strength is at present somewhat vulnerable.

Gill McLachlan has been appointed the new chief executive after what AFL Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick described as an exhaustive process. McLachlan is the devil the commission knows, a smooth transition a seemingly safe bet. They believe he exhibits all the attributes to lead a future that requires a restoration of confidence.

The well-schooled polo player is intelligent, articulate, engaging and entertaining. He has many friends in the game, going by those invited to his recent 40th birthday. Many in the media also ‘share the love’ it seems, going by recent readings.

This is not to denigrate his abilities or his performance. McLachlan has stood side by side with Demetriou since 2006. Together their achievements were significant. Competition expansion, momentous stadium deals and outstanding media deals are just a few of many. On field they have crafted it into a wonderful testament of skill and courage.

The most telling comment McLachlan made in his savvy first-up performance was that he would have left the code if he was not been appointed to the CEO role. Interesting.

I am not privy to how the current commissioners viewed this threat, however I suggest such a position would have been inconsequential to former Chairman Ron Evans. Ron was dextrous with a genuine stature that generated tremendous respect. Under his direction those in the game all knew where they stood and how to act.

We were wet behind the ears at the Saints in early 2000, led by new President Rod Butterss. Rod was successful, articulate, smooth and captivating. His rawness made him the perfect fit for a new St Kilda.

Butterss is also wise. After a fireside chat with Evans he realised that that life was far easier in bed with the AFL than out of it. Once we stopped head butting City Hall they became a vital partner we were heavily reliant on.

Evans’ leadership was most significant. He held court at the regular president and CEO Meetings like no other. He was the voice of strength and reason. On more than one occasion I saw him place a calming hand on Demetriou and assert authority over difficult situations or sensitive matters when the hair on Andrew’s neck was bristling.

Under Evans and Demetriou the game was tightly managed. Since announcing his departure Demetriou has said little. This silence seemed to release a few lunatics from the asylum.

We had numerous experts in club land openly offering opinions espousing the credentials of the next in line. There is no greater interest than self-interest and it was heavily at play in recent weeks. Under Evans this would not have been tolerated.

With Evans the press also knew where they stood. As the appointment process unfolded certain journalists seemed to have access to information that ultimately destroyed its credibility. Perception is reality for many. From the outside, the process to appoint McLachlan was a sham. This is unfair to the successful and the unsuccessful. It gave the AFL’s integrity another backhander.

The new CEO inherits a healthy business. It is financially buoyant with strong growth in developing markets likely to underpin hefty media rights increases. Participation rates are high and player health and well-being seems the AFLPA’s only ongoing concern. Players are well compensated.

However the game has serious challenges. In recent times its brand and reputation has been wounded. The Essendon sport science melodrama lingers like a leaking sewer. Inequalities remain a scourge without an obvious solution. Issues around integrity, expansion and pricing will require expertise in planning and execution. The game’s commitment to social issues must be vigilant.

Don’t ignore the challenges from outside. The NRL now has its own independent commission. It appears well governed and has deep pockets with expansion plans on the horizon. Soccer, too, seems in good hands. Rugby union has issues, however they do have the Wallabies brand to leverage if they can get their act together.

Such challenges can only be managed with a clear delineation between the role of the commission, the executive and the clubs. This structure set the code apart, ensuring the game was governed clear of interference and self-regard.

It’s now Gill and Mike’s wheel to swivel. McLachlan will undoubtedly require similar guidance to that Demetriou received. Fitzpatrick’s role in rebuilding confidence and credibility cannot be underestimated.

The integrity of the code starts the commission and executive upholding their roles as the most important people in the game. They must act with authority and take back charge of the asylum.

Brian Waldron is a former CEO of St Kilda, Melbourne Storm and the Melbourne Rebels.

Pot?

Kettle?

Surrogate

Juniors
The lesson for all NRL clubs is never hire an AFL stooge. They don't have passion for the game and only seek fame and notoriety.

some11

Referee
I would respect him if he just said "I'm sorry I got caught"

About 4 years too late.

LESStar58

Referee
The lesson for all NRL clubs is never hire an AFL stooge. They don't have passion for the game and only seek fame and notoriety.

I remember one commentator at the height of the scandal describing Waldron as coming in to the NRL like he was walking off a luxury yacht and his AFL background played a part.