What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum sevens contest - all welcome

roopy

Referee
Just to see who is interested in essay contests and to get a feel for what needs to be done - this is to be a contest between regular posters on the Knights forum.

I will arrange for an independent judge to mark the entries.

Just post an original 750 word essay in this thread by 9pm 18/5/04.

Because this is in the Knights forum, the essay should be Knights related in some way.

I would suggest that all members who have been in these contests before make the effort to get in early so that novices can have a look at your entries to see what is required.

Everyone should have a go, even if you are currently playing for another side and have no intention of joining the Knights team at this stage, just so we can see the standard of entries that will be needed to compete.

Thanks all.
roopy

roopy

Referee
Unlike other forum sevens threads - feel free to use this thread for discussion as well as entries. It is all about learning what is needed - so ask questions if you don't understand something.

roopy

Referee
antonius said:
I have one I can post Roopy, not really Knights related though, what do you reckon?
Sure,
This is just a friendly contest between us - so anything goes, but I'd assume it will be marked down if not Knights related, as that has been stated as a criteria.
I wouldn't see a problem with multiple entries from the one person if someone wants to try out different things to see how they score.

roopy

Referee
Just to put a bit of pressure on the official judge, I think we will have a poll to decide a 'people's choice' winner as well.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'll see what I can come up with. I've already posted my submission for Easts, so I've got some spare time.

roopy

Referee
IanG said:
I'm sure I can come up with something. How current does it have to be?
Just as long as it is Knights related - it doesn't have to be about the current team - it could be about anything from your first Knights experience to how you see the team developing over the next few years.

IanG

Coach
roopy said:
Just as long as it is Knights related - it doesn't have to be about the current team - it could be about anything from your first Knights experience to how you see the team developing over the next few years.
Ok then roopy. Where do I post my entry? I'm sure I wont have a problem getting the 700 odd words. As you may've noticed this week's Insight is longer than normal. It worked out it was 565 words.

antonius

Coach
OK here is my entry.

*****Antonius ****

Mr Bean.

It is after a lot of soul searching that I relate this story to you.
My son decided he wanted to miss soccer for a year and give league a try. I was dubious, but he wanted to play. We signed him up, bought the shorts, socks and various bits of padding, and awaited a call from the coach. We were eventually contacted, not by the coach but the club secretary, “ Mr Saxby, we are asking some fathers if they could assist with the coaching of their child’s team, would you be able to help out?” Well it was only under eight’s, league’s a simple game, pass and catch the ball, can’t be too difficult I thought, so why not?
I arrived at our first training session, all the kids were eagerly punting their footies around, throwing imaginary match winning passes to their mates, keen as mustard. One kid caught my eye, he was half the size of the others, with jet black straight hair, legs like a chair, his skin was pale, like he’d been indoors all his life, he was busy running around arms outstretched, being an areoplane. The other kids had already in a matter of minutes dubbed him Mr Bean. He spotted me, and decided I was his new best friend. It didn’t take a lot of observation to realise Scott (Mr Bean) also suffered from A.D.D.
The season began, Scott would arrive at the games, his mum would comb his hair, and then he’d rush over, latch onto my leg, and give me a run down on the events of his week. At footy Scott was hopeless, he would languish out on the wing, waving to his mum, and trying to catch the eye of his father, who would always be some distance away from the other parents. If any opposing player came near him, he would flinch, and move out of the way to avoid being trampled. There were rumblings from other parents that Scotty shouldn’t be getting as much game time, but I figured he’d paid his money, and probably wouldn’t see out the season anyway. Not only did he see it out; he was back the following year. I realised footy was the only interaction he got with other kids outside school, even though the kids made fun of him, it was worth it to be part of the team. He could make you cry, one game Scotty was standing on the field shouting out to Dad, who as usual was up the other end. I walked up to him, and pointed to his son. Dad looked over, Scotts face lit up as he waved to his dad, that’s all he wanted, dad to recognise he was out on the field. He could also make you laugh. One gala day, a couple of the kids went down the local paper shop; they came back with a bag full of those toys they give away in the newspaper. Some of them were plastic dinosaurs, and Scott had to have one. I told him he’d only get one if he scored a try. The day went on, and our star player had scored around 6 tries, we were on the attack, and I called out to the ball carrier to pass it to Joel, “No don’t do that” screamed Scotty “he’s already got 6 dinosaurs!” I couldn’t stop laughing, that’s all Scotty had worried about all day.
We reached the semis a couple of times, but never progressed, I had a bet with Scotty in his 3rd season that if he ever scored a try I’d give him $20.00. In three years of coaching I’d never missed a game, imagine how shattered I was when one night whilst at home recuperating from an operation, the phone rang. The boys were playing a postponed match, and you guessed it, Scotty had scored the first and only try of his short league career.
Scott never came back for a fourth season, I figured he’d achieved what he’d wanted. I see him at Knights games occasionally; he’s turned into a fine young man, he ref’s junior league, and says he gets a lot of pleasure from it. I wonder what life would’ve been like for Scott if he hadn’t spent those few years at footy, I would say vastly different, you see it’s not all about being an Andrew Johns, or a Brad Fittler, it’s also about putting something into the lives of kids like Scotty.

Word count 750 excluding name and titles.
This is a true story, the names have been changed.

Jedda

Juniors
I don’t make tackles. In fact I’ve never played a game of footy. I can kick the ball, but only if it’s straight up in the air. I’ve caught a few wobbly kicks off my mate’s untrained boot, but only when it’s us at the park.

I’ve been to a couple of matches, but never attended games week in, week out.

Who am I?

I’m a Newcastle Knights Fan.

I may not be born and bred in the Hunter; and I certainly never followed the team from the first kick off way back in 1988 but I guarantee I’ll wear to the grave my beloved Knights jersey.

Being a supporter of a team based on the other side of the Tasman isn’t easy. Thesports news here is full of Union and Rugby League only ever seems to get a mention when a new drama rocks the sport. I rely on the Internet and Rugby league publications to get my weekly fix of footy news. I will talk anyone’s ears off if I get an inkling that they have a passing interest in the game I love.

During the season I scrape together my meager wage for that one trip to Australia, whether it is a home game against a detested opposition or the final match of a favourite player in an against-the-odds game.

When the game is on, I’m in my favourite seat with my Knights jersey on. The phone is turned off. Family and friends have been pre-warned and know not to drop round for a visit. For that sole 80 minutes each week my attention is only on those 17 men representing the team I love. Superstitions abound. The pre-game cigarette, the loud cheer and clapping as the team runs on to the field, the running commentary and abuse hurled at the referee and opposition via the television as the action takes place. When that final whistle blows there will only be one response. A jubilant cheer of victory rocks the lounge and signals to the neighborhood that my team was victorious or a heart-wrenching wail of defeat announces to all that I'm to be avoided for a good few hours minimum. There is no going back each week. What is played out on my television effects me deeply. The cheer of a half break, the hiss of a mistimed offload, the urging of a player during a broken field run like backing a winner at Flemington. The begging and repeated mantra of “You’ll be right” when a warrior lies busted and injured on the ground. The heart felt sympathy when an injured player is removed to hopefully heal and take their rightful place back in the team another day. At the end of the game the racing heart or slow churning in the stomach lets me know I’ll be back next week to bear witness again to the Greatest Game of All.

A win isn’t always important; it’s the way the team plays. There have been days when the Knights have been on the wrong end of the scorecard. It’s the manner in which the have competed. Stand up and be counted, play to the best of your ability, make it a solid team effort and never give in. That’s what I expect to see from my team. Every injury is a loss but at the same time gives an opportunity to see the future. Young players just making grade appear from no-where to take their chances of becoming a familiar face in future teams. Some last a short time, others have become personal favourites. While the old hands grow weary and the young guns earn their stripes, it’s a feeling that can’t be described. When they don the Red and Blue and combine into a cohesive unit I’m amazed that I’ve been fortunate enough to have watched the magic they conjure playing this game we know as Rugby League.

I don’t have one of those memories which will easily recall glories of the past. Each game is watched, analyzed within myself, over the internet or in conversation and then it is lost. The one thing that is never gone is the feeling. The elation of winning, the pain of defeat, the disappointment of not competing, a fear of injuries which can derail a season, all combine in a mixture of emotions as addictive as any drug. During the off-season I’m a shell of myself, life is something to endure. When footy season rolls round I’m just a junkie looking for a fix.

As each season progresses, my voice gets a little harsher, my comments get a little more knowledgeable, my expectations just that bit higher, all in the hope of watching the Knights compete for that Grand Final victory one more time.

I may not bleed on the field, nor add my voice to the crowd live at every game, the club does not profit from my gate-takings but one thing is a certainty, I wouldn’t trade my love and support for the Knights for anything else in the world.

Not sure of the word count - too lazy to check it.

I won't be around very much anymore so I rule myself out of being a member of the Knights F7 team but thought I would add my 10 cents worth just the same.

Good luck for getting a successful team up and running for next season. 8)

roopy

Referee
Roopy - 736 words.

Spotting Junior Talent
My most vivid memory of deciding a young player had what it takes to make the grade comes from the first trial game for the Newcastle Flegg side in 2001. I was sitting on the hill at Marathon and cursing the fact that there was no programme for the match, so I had no idea who many of the young players were. I was seeing who I could recognise from the season before when a young fullback charged in on a fifth tackle option and ran to the line before dropping the ball on his toe. The ball was stopped by an opposition player who threw out a leg and managed to control the ball to just a metre or so in front of himself. The young fullback did a flat out dive and picked the ball up from under the guy’s feet and delivered a perfect pass to a forward in a gap beside him for the forward to stroll over for a try. To this day I’ve never seen a more courageous or skilful display of quick thinking on the football field, and as far as I know that was the first time Kurt Gidley touched the ball for the Knights. I decided in that instant that he would be a star and have been singing his praises ever since – and I didn’t even know his name till he scored twenty minutes later.

Sometimes it is obvious that a player has something special, like watching 115kg Anthony Tupou playing Flegg (a man amongst boys it seemed), or watching Michael Ennis put a touch of class on every thing he was involved in when playing for a very ordinary Premier League side, or watching the amazing skills and toughness of Kade Snowden in this year’s SG Ball side. Other times a player will not be getting much game time but will just have ‘something’ about them, like Adam Woolnough in Flegg in 2001 or Dane Tilse in Premier League last year. Both those players were bench forwards for most of the season but when they came on the field they ‘owned’ the middle of the ground. Anyone who challenged that was going to get hurt, and everyone knew it.
On the other hand, there are players like Chris Tyrie, Daryl Gordon and Luke Mercer to name just a few who look like they will develop into champions, but fail to step up to a higher level. In 2001 and 2002 Tyrie was head and shoulder above (pun intended) any other junior we had at the club. He was running our Flegg side much like Johns was running our firstgrade side. There were games where we would win by huge margins (the 2001 team set pointscoring records) and Tyrie seemed to be behind every point scored. He was that dominant. Unfortunately, the little guy never really stepped up to playing in the seniors. Gordon was our Carlsen medal winner one year, and was dropped from the club the next year without even making Premier League. He failed to make the switch from the backs to the forwards as he grew too big and slow. Mercer is now treading the same ground as Gordon as he attempts to convert to the forwards, but hopefully he will manage the switch in the same way Daniel Abraham was able to.

On the surface it looks like there are a million factors to take into account when assessing if a young player will make the grade, but I have come to the conclusion that there is really only one – self-confidence. Players like Kidley, Woolnough, Tupou, Tilse, Ennis, Lowrie, Tanner and current up- and-comers like Jenkinson, Burraston, Snowden, Andreissen, Briggs, Tighe and Dickson all have one thing in common. They all seem to be completely confident in their own ability to perform at a high level. It may be that the poor form of last year’s Premier League side contributed to both Chris Tyrie and Michael Young losing their confidence in their own ability.
When watching the juniors now I don’t take as much notice of size and athleticism as I once did, but I look for signs of self-confidence in players. Players who want to be involved when the chips are down and players who seem to want to get the ball in their hands as much as possible are the guys to look out for in the future.

les norton

First Grade
Guys, I would really love to participate in the above but it is assignment time at uni and im flat out writing 2 x 3000 word assignments.
If we ever do get a team going i would prob be suited as a bench player. I'll write up a couple of essays over the break (july, xmas ect) and be a little more prepared. Sorry. :(

IanG

Coach
Reminiscing

Having been a die-hard fan of the Newcastle Knights since 1988 I’m sure most people would find it hard to believe that I didn’t get to go to a Knights home game until 1991. Even thirteen years later I still fondly remember the first Knights game I ever went to. It was Round three of the 1991 season when Newcastle played Balmain. On that particular weekend my brother and I were staying with our dad at our grandparents place.

That morning we were told that instead of spaghetti for lunch we had to settle for having a pie, cause we were off to the football. I immediately thought to myself “oh yeah”. We quickly got changed out of our pyjamas after sleeping in got into my grandfathers 1970 Kingswood, and he dropped my day, my brother and I off to the as it was called back then International Sports Centre. We got there just a few minutes into the under 21s match and had a real enjoyable day of it. The game ended up in a twelve all draw in first grade, with Ashley Gordon scoring all the Knights points that day. That game was the second of about three draws the Knights had that season. It was a crying shame that after quite a good start to that season they went through a real slump and finished about thirteenth.

If I remember correctly too it was the season where Alan McMahon resigned after we were thrashed by Parramatta. So it was a real bummer that the season where I experienced my first Knights game was a pretty disappointing year for us. Thankfully since then the Knights have been able to enjoy more than there fair share of success with only a couple of bad season since then and have become a real force in the competition.

Most of the time now a days, I attend Knights home games by myself occasionally having my bother with me. The last time I was lucky to have my dad at a match with me was back in 1995 when we played Cronulla in the last round of the regular season on a Friday Night. Another memorable Friday Night game would have to be the one we played against Manly in that same year when there were over thirty two thousand people in the ground. I can tell you being there that night was just like being in a sardine tin because it was standing room only. Even though it was uncomfortable and the Knights lost the match it was still quite a good atmosphere.

It’s hard to say what my best Knights moment would be but I would have to say the 1997 Grand Final would be right up there. At the time a number of people seem to have this mentality that the ARL competition that year was sub-standard, well I have to say that’s a load of garbage. It’s simply a case of you can only play and beat who your put up against, so in my opinion the competion that was just as legitimate if not more legitimate than the Sell Out League was. I’m sure I echo the sentiments of fellow Knights supporters when we won that Grand Final in the dying second. I’ve been asked a number of times, whether or not I cried when we won it. The answer to that is no, but I do admit that I poured a bucket of water over my head to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

The 2001 Grand Final would also have to be a great moment for all of us, I just wish I was able to have enjoyed it much more seeing as I went through a real mishap that day, but that’s another story that I’ll probably tell another time. Don’t get my wrong I was still over the moon about the Knights winning, and to those individuals who said that our 1997 title was in a substandard competition, in 2001 all the clubs were there in one league so you could loosely say that 2001 was an undisputed premiership.

Like most Knights supporters I have a number of memorable Knights moments from the past that are memorable for one reason or another and I’m sure as time marches on there will be more to come especially in light of the fact we’ve been able to string three wins in a row, this I’m sure is an indication that the club has come to terms with Joey being absent for the remainder of the season.

Here is my entry which is exactly 760 words.

antonius

Coach
Ian one of the unbending rules of forum 7's is the word limit, if you leave yours at 760 words you will be penalised points, or part there-of. Articles MUST be 750 words or less.

IanG

Coach
antonius said:
Ian one of the unbending rules of forum 7's is the word limit, if you leave yours at 760 words you will be penalised points, or part there-of. Articles MUST be 750 words or less.
Ok then well I could always either cut or reword the last paragraph to scale it down.

Otherwise how was it?

Anonymous

Juniors
clock_0.gif

Roopy has asked for me to arrange to have the posts marked. I'll make sure its done before Friday.
Cheers.

antonius

Coach
IanG said:
antonius said:
Ok then well I could always either cut or reword the last paragraph to scale it down.

Otherwise how was it?
LOL. too late to change it now, fulltime has sounded. Willows mark will give you a good indication of how you went.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I figure you can just check out my regular F7's posts if you're curious as to my ability. I'd have written something here, but Uni is pretty hectic atm.

Latest posts