What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four At A Time: Rounds 1-4 Wrap Up

rabbitohs95

Bench
Played: Tigers, Sea Eagles, Knights, Roosters (L, W, W, L)

For: 86
Against: 90

Players Used: 23

Game Reviews:

Round 1: Tigers 34 def Rabbitohs 18 @ ANZ Stadium

It was a disappointing loss in Round 1, with captain Greg Inglis succumbing to an ACL tear just 7 minutes into the match.

Halfback Adam Reynolds was also unavailable and centre Hymel Hunt had to be taken off due to concussion, effectively leaving the team decimated against the flat track bullies the Tigers, who took full advantage of the injury toll.

While it was a poor loss to start the year, the effort was still there for the most part, and of course a loss in Round 1 isn’t the end of the world.

Rating: 4/10

Round 2: Rabbitohs 38 def Sea Eagles 18 @ Lottoland (Brookvale Oval)

What a first win for 2017. The team started off slowly conceding three tries in twelve minutes, but luckily Judas aka Dylan Walker missed all the conversions.

The left side lead by Cody Walker and John Sutton then tore Judas’ right side apart, with club debutant Robert Jennings bagging a try and setting up Robbie Farah’s first meat pie in red and green.

The team showed a lot of cohesion although their opposition was missing quite a number of forwards, making it easy for us to take advantage of.

Rating: 7/10

Round 3: Rabbitohs 24 def Knights 18 @ MacDonald Jones Stadium

This controversial match saw both George Burgess and Trent Hodkinson sin binned at crucial points of the game.

After piling on two tries in quick success, Burgess was sin binned for throwing punches (and elbows), which really stifled our attack, letting the Knights claw their way back and eventually lead at halftime.

It was a bit of a disappointing match considering we should have run away with it and we were lucky that we were able to scrape through.

Robbie Farah celebrated his first milestone victory after notching up 250 games, although it was the Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds show, but suspensions to Hymel Hunt, George Burgess and Braidon Burns would hurt the team’s chances against their arch rivals.

Rating: 6.5/10

Round 4: Roosters 20 def Rabbitohs 6 @ ANZ Stadium

Once again the side played at home on a soggy night with plenty of omissions, but to their credit they did themselves proud considering the circumstances.

The Roosters shot out of the blokes and caught youngsters on the edges napping, but the team came back in the second half, but just couldn’t penetrate the Chooks’ defence.

Keeping the form team of the competition to 6 points for an hour is nothing to sneeze at, and if a few bounces of the ball went our way, we may have just been able to level up.

Rating: 5.5/10

Player Reviews:

George Burgess: A disappointing start from George, particularly against the Knights. Ball security and overall discipline has been terrible and he really needs to step up.
Rating: 3/10

Sam Burgess: Easily our best forward, has been his trademark self; high work rate, plenty of runs and plenty of tackles. Rating: 7/10

Tom Burgess: Still not up to scratch but doing better than George. Again, handling is a big issue but work rate is decent. Rating: 4/10

Braidon Burns: Has done well in his first few games of first grade. Would like to see him get a bit more involved though. Rating: 6/10

Jason Clark: The ever-reliable Clark has been one of our better forwards this season, earning himself a starting spot.

Damien Cook: Has provided some good impact off the bench but has struggled to direct the side at times with Farah benched.
Rating: 6/10

Angus Crichton: Taken his opportunity with both hands providing good impact off the bench with a tireless work ethic.

Robbie Farah: Had a shaky start but has show great signs of direction and leadership. Should be at his best by seasons end.

Bryson Goodwin: One of our best performers who always puts in 100% no matter what stands in his way, on field or off. Rating: 8/10

Hymel Hunt: A bit inconsistent but not bad either, just needs to find the groove that he had at the end of last season.

Greg Inglis: Unfortunately his season ended just 7 minutes in. Hopefully he can return later in the season as rumours suggest.
Rating: N/A

Robert Jennings: Has shown flashes in attack but still needs to mark his man and aim up in defence. Good potential.

Alex Johnston: Is getting better and better with each game he plays at the back. Constantly improving.

Luke Kelly: Only got one game to prove himself and unfortunately it was the worst one of the four. Decent depth player.

Sitiveni Moceidreke: Didn't do too badly in his first NRL level, especially considering he isn't even in the squad. Scored a nice try too.

Zane Musgrove: Has been a bit up and down but has improved with each game. Beginning to muscle up and hits hard.

Adam Reynolds: In our top 5 best players at the moment. His control and finesse with the boot is imperative to our cause.
Rating: 7.5/10

Robbie Rochow: Wasn't too impressive in the first few games but he looked like the player we know him for against the Chooks. With more game time he'll get more of a chance to improve.

John Sutton: A bit of a mixed bag. Very strong in attack already scoring 2 tries but has been a bit flimsy in defence.

Siosifa Talakai: Tries his hardest and gives it his all but has been caught out a bit in defence. Still on the rise though.

Kyle Turner: Similar to Sutton he's been a bit hot and cold. Has put in some stellar efforts and some not so stellar.

Dave Tyrrell: Only got one chance against the Tigers and has been with the Bears since. Now strictly a depth player.
Rating: 4.5/10

Cody Walker: Talk about last but not least. Cody has sparked our attack when nothing is going on and has been our best player by far. Thankfully second year syndrome looks like it hasn't hit our rookie of the year.
Rating: 8.5/10

Bear Watch: Second (Only due to points differential)

The North Sydney Bears have remained undefeated thanks largely to the likes of Cameron Murray, Tyrell Fuimaono, Brad Deitz, the Burgess twins and Luke Kelly, who will all more likely than not feature in first grade at some point in the year.

It's a good sign also seeing the quality of non contracted players like halfback Eli Levido and Tautalatasi Tasi who will be pushing to get into the squad.

With a full strength squad for the Rabbitohs with players yet to return from injury I think the Bears are well on track to be pushing for a spot in the finals.

Overall:

Considering we have yet to field the same 17 in consecutive weeks, we're travelling decently.

With players to return from injury and suspension, and the much needed form boost of a certain pair of siblings, there's no reason to say we can't compete with most of the competition, particularly with our leaders and hooker/halves.

The form of our support players is decent enough to see us jag a few wins if our top line players are firing, however the next month looks to be a big challenge coming up against the Cowboys, Panthers, Bulldogs and Broncos.

Rating: 6/10. Good enough to show we can pile on points but still need that little extra to come up against the big name sides.

callmack1

Staff member

Game Reviews:

It was a disappointing loss in Round 1, with captain Greg Inglis succumbing to an ACL tear just 7 minutes into the match.

Halfback Adam Reynolds was also unavailable and centre Hymel Hunt had to be taken off due to concussion, effectively leaving the team decimated against the flat track bullies the Tigers, who took full advantage of the injury toll.

While it was a poor loss to start the year, the effort was still there for the most part, and of course a loss in Round 1 isn’t the end of the world.

What a first win for 2017. The team started off slowly conceding three tries in twelve minutes, but luckily Judas aka Dylan Walker missed all the conversions.

The left side lead by Cody Walker and John Sutton then tore Judas’ right side apart, with club debutant Robert Jennings bagging a try and setting up Robbie Farah’s first meat pie in red and green.

The team showed a lot of cohesion although their opposition was missing quite a number of forwards, making it easy for us to take advantage of.

This controversial match saw both George Burgess and Trent Hodkinson sin binned at crucial points of the game.

After piling on two tries in quick success, Burgess was sin binned for throwing punches (and elbows), which really stifled our attack, letting the Knights claw their way back and eventually lead at halftime.

It was a bit of a disappointing match considering we should have run away with it and we were lucky that we were able to scrape through.

Robbie Farah celebrated his first milestone victory after notching up 250 games, although it was the Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds show, but suspensions to Hymel Hunt, George Burgess and Braidon Burns would hurt the team’s chances against their arch rivals.

Once again the side played at home on a soggy night with plenty of omissions, but to their credit they did themselves proud considering the circumstances.

The Roosters shot out of the blokes and caught youngsters on the edges napping, but the team came back in the second half, but just couldn’t penetrate the Chooks’ defence.

Keeping the form team of the competition to 6 points for an hour is nothing to sneeze at, and if a few bounces of the ball went our way, we may have just been able to level up.

Player Reviews:

George Burgess: A disappointing start from George, particularly against the Knights. Ball security and overall discipline has been terrible and he really needs to step up.

Sam Burgess: Easily our best forward, has been his trademark self; high work rate, plenty of runs and plenty of tackles. Rating: 7/10

Tom Burgess: Still not up to scratch but doing better than George. Again, handling is a big issue but work rate is decent. Rating: 4/10

Braidon Burns: Has done well in his first few games of first grade. Would like to see him get a bit more involved though. Rating: 6/10

Jason Clark: The ever-reliable Clark has been one of our better forwards this season, earning himself a starting spot.

Damien Cook: Has provided some good impact off the bench but has struggled to direct the side at times with Farah benched.

Angus Crichton: Taken his opportunity with both hands providing good impact off the bench with a tireless work ethic.

Robbie Farah: Had a shaky start but has show great signs of direction and leadership. Should be at his best by seasons end.

Bryson Goodwin: One of our best performers who always puts in 100% no matter what stands in his way, on field or off. Rating: 8/10

Hymel Hunt: A bit inconsistent but not bad either, just needs to find the groove that he had at the end of last season.

Greg Inglis: Unfortunately his season ended just 7 minutes in. Hopefully he can return later in the season as rumours suggest.

Robert Jennings: Has shown flashes in attack but still needs to mark his man and aim up in defence. Good potential.

Alex Johnston: Is getting better and better with each game he plays at the back. Constantly improving.

Luke Kelly: Only got one game to prove himself and unfortunately it was the worst one of the four. Decent depth player.

Sitiveni Moceidreke: Didn't do too badly in his first NRL level, especially considering he isn't even in the squad. Scored a nice try too.

Zane Musgrove: Has been a bit up and down but has improved with each game. Beginning to muscle up and hits hard.

Adam Reynolds: In our top 5 best players at the moment. His control and finesse with the boot is imperative to our cause.

Robbie Rochow: Wasn't too impressive in the first few games but he looked like the player we know him for against the Chooks. With more game time he'll get more of a chance to improve.

John Sutton: A bit of a mixed bag. Very strong in attack already scoring 2 tries but has been a bit flimsy in defence.

Siosifa Talakai: Tries his hardest and gives it his all but has been caught out a bit in defence. Still on the rise though.

Kyle Turner: Similar to Sutton he's been a bit hot and cold. Has put in some stellar efforts and some not so stellar.

Dave Tyrrell: Only got one chance against the Tigers and has been with the Bears since. Now strictly a depth player.

Cody Walker: Talk about last but not least. Cody has sparked our attack when nothing is going on and has been our best player by far. Thankfully second year syndrome looks like it hasn't hit our rookie of the year.

The North Sydney Bears have remained undefeated thanks largely to the likes of Cameron Murray, Tyrell Fuimaono, Brad Deitz, the Burgess twins and Luke Kelly, who will all more likely than not feature in first grade at some point in the year.

It's a good sign also seeing the quality of non contracted players like halfback Eli Levido and Tautalatasi Tasi who will be pushing to get into the squad.

With a full strength squad for the Rabbitohs with players yet to return from injury I think the Bears are well on track to be pushing for a spot in the finals.

Overall:

Considering we have yet to field the same 17 in consecutive weeks, we're travelling decently.

With players to return from injury and suspension, and the much needed form boost of a certain pair of siblings, there's no reason to say we can't compete with most of the competition, particularly with our leaders and hooker/halves.

The form of our support players is decent enough to see us jag a few wins if our top line players are firing, however the next month looks to be a big challenge coming up against the Cowboys, Panthers, Bulldogs and Broncos.

Rating: 6/10. Good enough to show we can pile on points but still need that little extra to come up against the big name sides.
Brilliant stuff R95!! I agree with all your points, what a great review!

I'm not going to do one of my own because I do it at the end of each game. However I will say that the first 4 rounds have been a mixed bag, some awesome stuff but still plenty to work on.

Defense and completing our sets is the big issues, fix those up and we're well on our way.

Bring on the rest of the season!!!

rabbitohs95

Bench
Brilliant stuff R95!! I agree with all your points, what a great review!

I'm not going to do one of my own because I do it at the end of each game. However I will say that the first 4 rounds have been a mixed bag, some awesome stuff but still plenty to work on.

Defense and completing our sets is the big issues, fix those up and we're well on our way.

Bring on the rest of the season!!!
Cheers bro. Your reviews are great too man, very concise and accurate. Well written.

Can't disagree, our squad as a whole has a lot of potential, we're not even a quarter through the season yet so there's still room for improvement.

I'm looking forward to writing up the next few instalments of this segment.

callmack1

Staff member
Cheers bro. Your reviews are great too man, very concise and accurate. Well written.

Can't disagree, our squad as a whole has a lot of potential, we're not even a quarter through the season yet so there's still room for improvement.

I'm looking forward to writing up the next few instalments of this segment.
Same to you cuzzie

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
oi cuzzie bro"s we have a shiiiit team there is your truthful yearly summary in a nut shell and you can quote me on that come oct.... .....Shadow...oi cuzzie callmack bring on the rest of the year you say ??im not too excited about it will souths be on 12th or worse come fri night cuzzie callmack?

rabbitohs95

Bench
Good read R95. Have you got a blog site etc? This should be getting out to more people.
Cheers toes.

I don't but I wanted to start a podcast of sorts but gear is hard to come by considering my financial situation.

I write for a website called NothingButLeague and I have my own little Facebook page called League View so if you wanna check up on there feel free to do so.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
oi r95-four at a time your right there the cows will be scoring 4 pointers one after the other correctamundo shadow knows.....Shadow...p.s. oi r95 i read you write for nothingbutleague but after friday night you can write quote-nothingbut4pointers by the cows.....i guess i am a bit clairvoyant mate .....

callmack1

Staff member
oi cuzzie bro"s we have a shiiiit team there is your truthful yearly summary in a nut shell and you can quote me on that come oct.... .....Shadow...oi cuzzie callmack bring on the rest of the year you say ??im not too excited about it will souths be on 12th or worse come fri night cuzzie callmack?
No I'm not excited about that but I back my team, I know we can do it and I know we can have an alright season.

callmack1

Staff member
Cheers toes.

I don't but I wanted to start a podcast of sorts but gear is hard to come by considering my financial situation.

I write for a website called NothingButLeague and I have my own little Facebook page called League View so if you wanna check up on there feel free to do so.
I'll check it out!

doyen

Bench
Our season so far--
Comprehensively beaten by the TIGERS--a mostly inconsistent,dysfunctional side in Rd.1!!

Beat a Manly side in Rd.2 who had a severely decimated pack &,at the time;were a rabble!!

Struggled to get over the line against the Knights in Rd.3;against the wooden-spoon favourites!!

Did OK against the Roosters in Rd.4 but still beaten fairly easily by one of the p/ship favourites.

A well below par season so far but some improvement is apparent!!

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
ile be pumped to beat the cows but with clark and turner and an unexperienced mediocre back line we will fail snap snap snap out of the dream boys we are a rabble in 2017.....it just rained on me that the dont knowers and the cant seers are a bit like madge when he persisted with mcinnes over and over and over and over and over but only myself and r20 saw it longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ago fug me people have nfi.clark and turner are great and are good blokes and tyrrell is looking huge and super fit wow lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.....Shadow....

Rabbits20

Immortal

Game Reviews:

Player Reviews:

Overall:

George 3/10 (Can't catch and such poor discipline)

Tom 3.5/10 (Poor defensively and can't catch)

Sam 8/10 (Tireless and epitomises Souths spirit)

Burns 5.5/10 (needs to get a bit more involved. Want to see his speed)

Clark 5/10 (gets pushed back and isn't big enough)

Cook 7/10 (been good off the bench, dynamite. Just a couple of things to tidy up)

Crichton 6/10 (has the potential there)

Farah 6.5/10 (disappointing in defence at times, poor kicks)

Goodwin 8/10 (Has shown the doubters once again. Epitomises Souths spirit)

Hunt 5/10 (doesn't do much shit work and knocks on too much)

Jennings 5.5/10 (turnstile defensively)

AJ 6.5/10 (struggles tackling and positioning defensively)

Kelly 2.5/10 (poor depth player imo. Very bad kicking game, no creativity, poor defensively)

Moceidreke 5/10 (another Talanoa it seems)

Musgrove 6.5/10 (will get better I reckon. Potential is there)

Reynolds 7.5/10 (don't need to say much. He's quality)

Rochow 4.5/10 (disappointing. A plodder)

Sutton 5.5/10 (looks like he could break the line, a bit dodgy in defence)

Turner 5/10 (defending our own try line poor, not making enough hit ups, goes AWOL. Solid in defence though but just not defending in our own 30)

Talakai 4.5/10 (runs hard, a turnstile defensively and should be a back rower)

Tyrrell 2.5/10 (should have retired. So off the pace in round 1)

Cody: 8.5/10 (been our best player. A shining light with ball in hand)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sorry R95. I couldn't wait lol!!!!!

I wanted to give a few positives and hoe into the rest!!!!