What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France, Ireland & Scotland in tri series in october?

Evil Homer

Staff member
France are also playing England, and possibly Wales. I get the feeling there's just going to be a bunch of international fixtures this year without any particular format, like they have in RU. Although maybe the RLEF will make it into some sort of tournament, we'll have to see.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Better than nothing.

I think France are playing England A though, are they not?
No, they are playing England on Ocbober 21 in Avignon. They are supposed to be playing 'England Knights' too, but hopefully that concept will have been scrapped by then, or they will field a reserve team or something.

Also the match against Scotland has been confirmed for the weekend of Novermber 5 in Perpignan.

roughyedspud

Coach
No, they are playing England on Ocbober 21 in Avignon. They are supposed to be playing 'England Knights' too, but hopefully that concept will have been scrapped by then, .

you bitching about the england knights (england 'A')...thats what i'm on about

Evil Homer

Staff member
you bitching about the england knights (england 'A')...thats what i'm on about
Because it's stupid and detrimental to the international game. No other nations feel the need to do this, if Australia did it you'd be up in arms. And before you start, don't mention the PM13 - that is a team assembled for one fixture a year which wouldn't go ahead otherwise. It's completely different to what 'England Knights' is supposed to be.

roughyedspud

Coach
everyone has or have had a 'A' team so get over it...and please tell me you think the PM13 team playing games against PNG is a bad idea and detrimental to the international game??

and out of interest just what do you think the england knights is supposed to be?

Evil Homer

Staff member
everyone has or have had a 'A' team so get over it...and please tell me you think the PM13 team playing games against PNG is a bad idea and detrimental to the international game??

and out of interest just what do you think the england knights is supposed to be?
Did you read my post? I clearly adressed the issue of the PM13, and in addition to what I said, they also play against a PNG select team, not the full test team despite what is commonly reported in Aussie media. I can't think of any occasions where there is an 'A' team that is trying to arrange fixtures against full international teams in the way that 'England Knights' appear to be, it just adds to further segregation of the international game. And I'm not sure why you keep asking me what I think 'England Knights' is, surely that's pretty obvious to everyone?

Last edited:

druzik

Juniors
Did you read my post? I clearly adressed the issue of the PM13, and in addition to what I said, they also play against a PNG select team, not the full test team despite what is commonly reported in Aussie media. I can't think of any occasions where there is an 'A' team that is trying to arrange fixtures against full international teams in the way that 'England Knights' appear to be, it just adds to further segregation of the international game. And I'm not sure why you keep asking me what I think 'England Knights' is, surely that's pretty obvious to everyone?

Actually the PM13 and Knight concepts are exactly the same. NZ has an A team that plays occasioanlly against the Tongans and Samoans, you have a France A and B teams, the Home nations also have their amateurs A and B teams... even many of the developing nations have A teams these days.

They all serve the same purpose. I think you are are trying to make some lines that don't exist here EH.

roughyedspud

Coach
i keep asking you cos i'm bemused as to why you think us having a development squad is such a bad idea.

england can only realistically play 5 internationals a year and we can't waste time anymore tanking france..hence the exiles game...now add another 5 that the knights could play thats 10 games a year, doubles the amount of internationals we have to develop a core squad to try and win the world cup...or don't you want that?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Actually the PM13 and Knight concepts are exactly the same. NZ has an A team that plays occasioanlly against the Tongans and Samoans, you have a France A and B teams, the Home nations also have their amateurs A and B teams... even many of the developing nations have A teams these days.

They all serve the same purpose. I think you are are trying to make some lines that don't exist here EH.
Like I said though, the PM13 and none of those other 'A' teams are seeking to play against full Test sides to my knowledge. As far as I am aware, the match between NZ and Tonga was a full Test, I can't recall NZ 'A' competing since 2003 although I might be wrong. Look I'm not against the idea of 'A' teams as such, I just don't think we should have them playing against full Test nations such as France which is what 'England Knights' are planning.

druzik

Juniors
Like I said though, the PM13 and none of those other 'A' teams are seeking to play against full Test sides to my knowledge. As far as I am aware, the match between NZ and Tonga was a full Test, I can't recall NZ 'A' competing since 2003 although I might be wrong. Look I'm not against the idea of 'A' teams as such, I just don't think we should have them playing against full Test nations such as France which is what 'England Knights' are planning.

The PM13 plays against a full PNG test side.

Evil Homer

Staff member
i keep asking you cos i'm bemused as to why you think us having a development squad is such a bad idea.

england can only realistically play 5 internationals a year and we can't waste time anymore tanking france..hence the exiles game...now add another 5 that the knights could play thats 10 games a year, doubles the amount of internationals we have to develop a core squad to try and win the world cup...or don't you want that?
Like I keep saying, the best way to win the World Cup would be to improve coaching standards and improve the talent pool. You can mess about with all sorts of 'development squads' or whatever, at the end of the day England's players are not as good as those of Australia and NZ and until that changes they're never realistically going to beat them with any regularity. Having a second England team playing internationals doesn't achieve anything and isn't going to suddenly mean there are a bunch of players capable of competing at the top level internationally. You'll see what difference the 'Exiles' concept and all this other crap makes at the end of the year when England are smashed yet again. Also, you talk about 'wasting time' playing France yet England are playing France in October, in addition to 'England Knights'. I hate this disrespect and segregation in the international game.

druzik

Juniors
Like I keep saying, the best way to win the World Cup would be to improve coaching standards and improve the talent pool. You can mess about with all sorts of 'development squads' or whatever, at the end of the day England's players are not as good as those of Australia and NZ and until that changes they're never realistically going to beat them with any regularity. Having a second England team playing internationals doesn't achieve anything and isn't going to suddenly mean there are a bunch of players capable of competing at the top level internationally. You'll see what difference the 'Exiles' concept and all this other crap makes at the end of the year when England are smashed yet again. Also, you talk about 'wasting time' playing France yet England are playing France in October, in addition to 'England Knights'. I hate this disrespect and segregation in the international game.

Right, I can see your point now.

roughyedspud

Coach
Like I keep saying, the best way to win the World Cup would be to improve coaching standards and improve the talent pool....

the best coaches in SL are aussies so they are getting a higher standard of coaching and you think having a 2nd string england team playing internationals against the likes of france and a touring samoa side and maybe going on tour down under next year won't improve the talent pool??

take ya flatcap and ya blinkers off..

where we've been let down in the past 10-15 years is we've had to chuck kids into tests without really knowing if they are capable....now we have a clear pathway from academy,knights,exiles series to tests...no longer would we have to blindly chuck kids into the lions den hoping they'll make it..

and i meant playing france mid season was a waste of time...

Evil Homer

Staff member
the best coaches in SL are aussies so they are getting a higher standard of coaching and you think having a 2nd string england team playing internationals against the likes of france and a touring samoa side and maybe going on tour down under next year won't improve the talent pool??

take ya flatcap and ya blinkers off..

where we've been let down in the past 10-15 years is we've had to chuck kids into tests without really knowing if they are capable....now we have a clear pathway from academy,knights,exiles series to tests...no longer would we have to blindly chuck kids into the lions den hoping they'll make it..

and i meant playing france mid season was a waste of time...
I understand where you're coming from, but don't forget there was a very similar team that played last decade, and it didn't affect the results at all. This isn't really a new idea and I didn't like it any more then than I do now. International experience is far from England's biggest obstacle when it comes to competing at the top level, you can make good players play in as many international fixtures as you like but they'll still lose 9 times out of 10 to a team of great players. Also, I'd rather not see England prosper to the detriment of the international game, if we take that attitude then we're just as bad as the ARL.