What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frankies replacement

Giallorosso

Juniors
I just thought I'd throw a few ideas for Frankies replacement into the ring fellow football fans

Terry Venables (again yep me love El Tel)

Sir Bobby Robson

Bryan Robson

Steve Bruce

Howard Wilkinson

Glenn Hoddle

John Barnes

Any others ??

Discuss

0neye

What About Craig Johnston Who Palyed For The Winning Liverpool Side Years Ago ;()

fish eel

Immortal
very england centric there Giallorosso!

The FFA are working with Gerard Houllier to get a replacement.

It wont be a pom.

perth sharkie

Juniors
I doubt that Houllier would join Australia for a while seeing that he recently signed a contract with French champions Lyon.

OVP

Coach
I would give anything to get Guus Hiddinck on board. Highly unlikely, as he has a contract at PSV, but that means nothing if Frank Lowy offers him a suitcase full of cash ;-). If anyone can afford to get Hiddinck, its Frank Lowy.

perth sharkie

Juniors
OVP said:
I would give anything to get Guus Hiddinck on board. Highly unlikely, as he has a contract at PSV, but that means nothing if Frank Lowy offers him a suitcase full of cash ;-). If anyone can afford to get Hiddinck, its Frank Lowy.

Hiddinck or Bora would be ideal. But Hiddinck certainly isn't short of cash after his exploits in Korea and the large sum of money he received from the Korean FA for a successful World Cup campaign. So he'll have to be tempted by the job itself.

fish eel

Immortal
the other name to throw in the ring is Bruno Metsu....that dude with the hair that was in charge of Senegal

mightybears

Bench
Giallorosso said:
I just thought I'd throw a few ideas for Frankies replacement into the ring fellow football fans

Terry Venables (again yep me love El Tel)
Sir Bobby Robson
Bryan Robson
Steve Bruce
Howard Wilkinson
Glenn Hoddle
John Barnes
Discuss

and interesting collection of the plodding, past it, untested at top level and 'mercurial'

why not a branko culina
or at least someone with the guts to know when they have to cut favourites

doesn't matter who we get until we pick backs that aren't so bloody slow to react/turn

sunny

Senegal just sacked their coach, it doesn't look like they'll qualify for Germany 2006. Don't know if he was the coach they sacked though.

tiburon

Juniors
No Metsu quit Senegal a tad after the last world cup in which they did well in, so it wasn't him that was sacked recently.

I wouldn't mind Metsu or Tigana.

fish eel

Immortal
Tigana, no thanks. why should we go for a premier league reject?

we need somebody with some experience in an international setup

Giallorosso

Juniors
fish eel said:
very england centric there Giallorosso!

The FFA are working with Gerard Houllier to get a replacement.

It wont be a pom.

Although I'm Italiano I have a huge admiration for English football,I spent a years there watching the Premier League by far the worlds best football competition!!

And thats from me an Italiano!!

My choice would be Glenn Hoddle or if not Sir Booby

tiburon

Juniors
fish eel said:
Tigana, no thanks. why should we go for a premier league reject?

we need somebody with some experience in an international setup

The majority of managers mentioned in this thread are premier league rejects.

OVP

Coach
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15799475-23215,00.html

French coach to take Roos job
By Peter Badel
July 3, 2005

RESPECTED Frenchman Christian Damiano has emerged as the $400,000 man to succeed departed Socceroos coach Frank Farina and rescue Australia's World Cup qualifying campaign.

The Sunday Telegraph can also reveal a stunning act of betrayal by the Football Federation of Australia.

Despite assurances that Farina's position was not under scrutiny, FFA officials conducted interviews with at least seven foreign-based coaches over the past fortnight.

While Farina was overseeing Australia's Confederations Cup campaign in Germany, the FFA began sifting through the CVs of an assortment of impeccably credentialled coaches.

The hit list was devised by former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier, who also acts as the Socceroos' chief adviser.

Sources say the secret talks are so advanced that a deal has already been struck.

And it is understood the hot favourite is Damiano, an unknown in Australia but a highly respected tactician who served as Houllier's right-hand man at Liverpool.

Damiano would come at a reasonable price for a foreign coach, with any deal rumoured to be worth an initial $400,000, plus incentives should Australia reach the World Cup.

"The FFA has held interviews for the past two weeks, so that shows Frank's future was sealed before the Confederations Cup," said a well-placed source, who did not wish to be named.

"The FFA has made its decision and it's now a case of finalising the terms of the agreement. I'd be surprised if they went for anyone other than Damiano. "He's very highly rated and will have strong support from Houllier, who drew up the hit list and will have a say in the appointment. Whoever they get will be a well-credentialled person. [Frank] Lowy [FFA chairman] would not allow his name to be associated with anything less."

The FFA also interviewed Roy Hodgson, Jean Tigana, Dick Advocaat, Sir Bobby Robson, Manuel Amoros and Goran Milutinovic - irresistible proof Farina's successor will be a foreigner.

Damiano, 55, boasts an impressive portfolio.

He helped nurture French stars Thierry Henry, Nicolas Anelka and David Trezeguet and was an assistant to Houllier when they led the France under-18 side to victory at the 1996 European Championships.

Damiano later joined Houllier at Liverpool in 2003, before accepting an assistant role alongside Tigana at Fulham.

While Damiano lacks the local profile and marketability of a Terry Venables or Robson, he is fluent in English.

It is also understood any appointment will not be short term, as was first anticipated.

"I'm led to believe it won't be a quick fix," the source said.

"Hodgson, Venables and Robson aren't in the frame any more.

"The FFA will go for the future, not for yesterday's men. Lowy won't be wanting to give someone a retirement package."

FFA officials refused to comment yesterday when contacted by The Sunday Telegraph.

But Farina, whose future has been the subject of intense speculation for the past year, last night admitted he was hardly stunned by FFA moves to replace him.

"Nothing surprises me," Farina said. "In light of recent events, I'm not shocked to hear they may have spoken to others.

"To be honest, I'm over it.

"The reality is they will appoint a foreigner.

"My concern is that an Aussie coach will not be appointed for a long time."

Former Socceroo Robbie Slater said the FFA must appoint a foreign-based coach.

"It's a no-brainer," he said. "The FFA seems hellbent on landing a big name and I think it's the way to go."

The Sunday Telegraph

shaggy

Juniors
yeah i read that in the tele as well, disgraceful stuf if u ask me, in 2days the sun herald theres an article about Francisco Maturana who has said that he wants the challenge of coaching the australian team, he was @ the confed cup i think as a technical director 4 fifa so there4 he saw all of the aussies games & he said he nos how 2 fix our problems, he nos all about south american football so he pretty much guarantes that we will be in the world cup, also he has been a succesful coach in the past so i say let him go 4 it

fish eel

Immortal
tiburon said:
The majority of managers mentioned in this thread are premier league rejects.

and I'd have none of them.

It just shows that some people are to 'premier league' focused in their thinking.