What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freddy Or Joey?

who is better?

• Joey Johns

Votes: 117 71.3%
  • Freddy Fittler

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • they are both great in their own ways none is better

Votes: 19 11.6%

• Total voters

lockyno1

Post Whore
JOHNS and by quite a margin. A better one would be Daley-Johns. That is a real toss of the coin!

Raiders Plight

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
i would say that is because most of the time when they played together Fittler would have been at lock and they would have been playing against a far superior QLD forward pack during that time with the likes of Webke,Tallis etc.

They played a few games together in the halves, but i don't think they won one.

Mr Saab

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
In origin they might have played 95, 96 and 97, which = two series wins to the blues. Other then that i don't think they played in the halves together.

Fittler didnt play origin in 1997.
They didnt play in the halves together in 1995 or 1996.
They did in game 3 1998 and they lost.

Carlito

Juniors
Can't split them. As someone has said, Johns is the best halfback I've ever seen, while Freddy is by far the best 5/8th. Freddy was more inspirational though so I gave him the nod.

Red Bear

Referee
Glorified lock? Fittler was an organiser, he organised the roosters excptionally well, particularly 02-04. You've seen what a rabblethe chooks have become since his retirement, he organised alot of the time out there. Calm leader, deft kicking game, excellent passing game and a great step. Freddy isthe best 5/8 i've seen and sh*ts on thecurrent 5/8s in the game.

Red Bear

Referee
Carlito said:
Can't split them. As someone has said, Johns is the best halfback I've ever seen, while Freddy is by far the best 5/8th. Freddy was more inspirational though so I gave him the nod.
I still think freddy is a better leader but johns is that f**ken good that both are/were missed big time when they didnt play.

Newcastle when Johns retires will be interesting.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Johns...but only just. Certainly no shame for Freddy to come second to Joey in this poll because IMO every single player in history would come second to joey.

That said, Freddy is a clear second to Joey of all players since the days of Lewis, Sterlo and Kenny. Ive never seen a player combine running and passing skills as well as Freddy. His long passing game was unsurpassed, especially those long cut out passes. And his deft short passing game was very clever. And then his running game was mesmerising...his step combined with his power made him almost unstoppable at times.

There's also his leadership skills and the fact that he is one of the best defensive backs you'll ever see. Such a complete player. But Johns is the best of all-time.

Btw, Freddy is far better than Daley IMO. Daley was good, but as i said in another thread if he was so good then why did the Raiders fall to pieces when Stuart was injured. Freddy took the Roosters to 3 staright GF's with Finch beside him. Thats incredible because making the GF is the hard part as Jack Gibson attests. Between 02-04 he was the best performed player in the game IMO.

And if he was at the Raiders then they still would have been a huge threat even when Stuart went down. but with Daley they fell to pieces. Freddy had a far better passing, running and kicking game than Daley IMO.

Johns
Freddy

then

Stuart/Aflie/Daley

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
Johns...but only just. Certainly no shame for Freddy to come second to Joey in this poll because IMO every single player in history would come second to joey.

That said, Freddy is a clear second to Joey of all players since the days of Lewis, Sterlo and Kenny. Ive never seen a player combine running and passing skills as well as Freddy. His long passing game was unsurpassed, especially those long cut out passes. And his deft short passing game was very clever. And then his running game was mesmerising...his step combined with his power made him almost unstoppable at times.

There's also his leadership skills and the fact that he is one of the best defensive backs you'll ever see. Such a complete player. But Johns is the best of all-time.

Btw, Freddy is far better than Daley IMO. Daley was good, but as i said in another thread if he was so good then why did the Raiders fall to pieces when Stuart was injured. Freddy took the Roosters to 3 staright GF's with Finch beside him. Thats incredible because making the GF is the hard part as Jack Gibson attests. Between 02-04 he was the best performed player in the game IMO.

And if he was at the Raiders then they still would have been a huge threat even when Stuart went down. but with Daley they fell to pieces. Freddy had a far better passing, running and kicking game than Daley IMO.

Johns
Freddy

then

Stuart/Aflie/Daley

Far better than Daley? that's a bit biased, What happend to Freddy during the 95 origin series?, it was his time to step up and NSW got cleaned up 3-0 by a bunch of QLD nuffies. Go watch Daley lead the blues around the park 92-94 against a strong QLD outfit and then tell me freddy is far better.

JBW1983

Juniors
I was only young when watching some of these guys play, but from what I have seen:

Johns -> Freddie -> Langer --> Stuart --> Daley ---> Lewis ----> Lockyer ----> Stacey Jones

The Preacher

First Grade
JBW1983 said:
I was only young when watching some of these guys play, but from what I have seen:

Johns -> Freddie -> Langer --> Stuart --> Daley ---> Lewis ----> Lockyer ----> Stacey Jones

I unfortunately, was NEVER young when watching those blokes play.:D

Roy

Juniors
johns is the best player to have played the game no one even comes close to him. In saying that fittler was a great leader player captain man. You could have either in your side an they would both lift the team an take them to the "next level". They are 2 very speacial players.

What will be interesting to see if anyone can come close to joey in the next 100 years. Imo he is like crickets bradman, an no one has come close to the don.

RABK

Referee
I dunno, someone better always comes along in a game like League.

Bradman was without peer, he was simply so much better then any other cricketer - ever.

Johns isn't the Bradman of League because he isn't that far, if at all, infront of the Immortals.

Crusher

Coach
Red and Blue Knight said:
I dunno, someone better always comes along in a game like League.

Bradman was without peer, he was simply so much better then any other cricketer - ever.

Johns isn't the Bradman of League because he isn't that far, if at all, infront of the Immortals.

I reckon King Wally (albeit a Queenslander) was as good a game breaker if not better than Joey. He seemed to be better a creating space.

laurie

Juniors
2 diffrent players is as simple as that... if you were going to compare it would be Johns V Langer.... and langer wasnt to far johns...

best five eight ive ever seen is LAURIE (shows in my user name) he had vision could throw a ball could bust the line and was awsome in defense.. KING Walley only had the vision and a pasing game. Freey fittler comes a very close second to laurie what he did for the rosters.. he was there ROCK

aqua_duck

Coach
I think both players had similar influence on their teams and were equally inspirational, I think Joey probably stands out more because he probably touched the ball more often, had more tricks up his sleeve, and was a muhc better goal kicker. Though on his day Fittler was an amazing player

Latest posts