What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freddy's coaching career over?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25754390-5018866,00.html

Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis ready to replace Brad Fittler
By Brent Read
July 09, 2009
Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis has been disgusted by the behaviour of his players and acknowledges the time has come to make a decision on the future of Brad Fittler.

The Australian has reported Politis was appalled by the latest incident involving Roosters and Queensland forward Nate Myles, who was suspended for six weeks after he defecated in the corridor of a hotel on the Central Coast.

The Roosters patriach also acknowledged the club was ready to decide Fittler's fate, with as many as four coaches in contention to replace him at the end of the year.

Melbourne pair Stephen Kearney and Michael Maguire are believed to be among those under consideration. If Kearney doesn't get the job, it will be a major surprise.

Given events on and off the field this year, Fittler's position appears untenable. The latest atrocity involving Myles has prompted major sponsor Samsung to reconsider its association with the club.

"Of course I am disappointed and shattered," Politis said.

"It's totally disgusting behaviour. Of course we're all sick of saying it. It's not just us - it's the whole game.

"The last few years it has got worse and worse and worse."

Politis rejected suggestions the club's culture was rotten.

"We have a very strict policy," he said.

"We just have to tighten it up. We have done nothing different this year than what we have done other years.

"It's a series of events that have happened. A couple of guys have stepped out of line and it's not acceptable."

Samsung on Wednesday released a statement confirming it was yet to determine whether to continue with the Roosters.

"As a sponsor of rugby league, Samsung remains deeply concerned about any player or team whose actions may ultimately bring the game into disrepute," Samsung said.

"We are working closely with Roosters management to better understand the situation and the club's position."

Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce remains optimistic the decade-long partnership can be maintained.

However, it is clear the club's brand has been damaged by a series of off-field incidents, culminating in Myles' drunken antics.

The NRL finally lost patience this week, issuing the Roosters with a $50,000 fine.

"Obviously our form on and off the field isn't what we would have hoped it would be," Noyce said.

Noyce has also been charged with the responsibility of coming up with a recommendation in regard to Fittler.

After a honeymoon period when he first took over midway through 2007, and guiding the Roosters to the finals last season, Fittler has endured an annus horribilis this year.

The club is languishing at the foot of the ladder and Fittler was forced to fine himself $10,000 after a drunken incident last month.

"I think Freddie (Fittler) is as disappointed as I am," Politis said.

"He feels bad about it because of his incident in Townsville. It's sad that it happened.

"We have to try to do things better next time."

Asked about the coaching position, Politis said: "The decision it still being made.

"We're looking at all our options. We have had a lot of interest from three or four different coaches, four in particular.

"I have been away and Noycey - that's one of his jobs over the next two or three weeks, to come up with a recommendation to go forward.

"I think we have to because we're getting towards the end of the season. It's important we all know, the players know, the public know and the fans know."

What if the decision is made to go forward without Fittler at the helm?

"It's very hard," Politis said.

"The hardest decision I will ever make."

I'm glad that a decision is not far off, this has gone on too long. If Freddie goes and is serious about being a coach, maybe he should have a stint in SL where his legend might gain him some respect instead of being one of the boys but at least it will be a fresh start and away from the Aussie media spot light.

_STING_

Juniors
What if the decision is made to go forward without Fittler at the helm?

"It's very hard," Politis said.

"The hardest decision I will ever make."

I think that quote pretty much sums it up.

I think Sportsbet are offering $1.02 about Kearney anyway. I suppose he has had the apprenticeship that Freddie didn't have. He would have learned a lot off Bellyache and Bennett. He will still need the proper coaching staff around him though.

Tom Ace

Bench
I think that quote pretty much sums it up.

I think Sportsbet are offering $1.02 about Kearney anyway. I suppose he has had the apprenticeship that Freddie didn't have. He would have learned a lot off Bellyache and Bennett. He will still need the proper coaching staff around him though.

I wouldn't mind Kearney but i have serious worries about the amount of Kiwi's he'll recruit.

adamkungl

Immortal
I wouldn't mind Kearney but i have serious worries about the amount of Kiwi's he'll recruit.

yep. imo we'll be the warriors 2.0 in no time.

Another thing that worries me was his complete incompetence coaching NZ without Bennett.

boo_boo

Juniors
From a non - supporter what really irks me is the lack of local identities that Easts can call their own.
OK Freddy has to learn to differentiate between being one of the boys as opposed to being an authority figure but he played his best football with the Roosters & should be given a fairer go than what he is currently receiving.
Freddy has worn the Easts jersey with honour & distinction & that in it's self should give him a chance to prove himself against all this speculation of his future as a coach.
I dont think this would be a conversation topic if Easts were in the top 4 so because they are having a sh*te year then everyones looking for a convenient scapegoat.

From a non - supporter what really irks me is the lack of local identities that Easts can call their own.
OK Freddy has to learn to differentiate between being one of the boys as opposed to being an authority figure but he played his best football with the Roosters & should be given a fairer go than what he is currently receiving.
Freddy has worn the Easts jersey with honour & distinction & that in it's self should give him a chance to prove himself against all this speculation of his future as a coach.
I dont think this would be a conversation topic if Easts were in the top 4 so because they are having a sh*te year then everyones looking for a convenient scapegoat.

I come from the opinion that the club should make a decision - either way, quickly. Leaving him hanging like he is, is far more disrespectful and it's not doing the team any good either.
I personally would like to see him given another 2 year contract. Unless Gus suddenly changes his mind.

adamkungl

Immortal
im with you Babyface. This year was a disaster on so many levels. Some of the blame should be placed at the coaches feet. A lot at the players imo. And some at those above making the decisions. But I'd like to see Fittler given a chance to turn it around.

Raudonikis

Juniors
I reckon Freddie should get the chance to turn it around as well,he is a legend at your club and lets not forget where he got you guys to last year.Some guys just arent putting in for him,but thats easily fixed.

Cloud9

What happened to to those who said "In Fittler we trust?"
I wouldn't trust him with a bar of soap.
Freddy is gonskiis.

Rooooooster

Juniors
Freddie will be gone next year, along with the rest of the coaching staff....

Look for kearney, plus an influx of people from.... well.... somwehere out west :shock:

The coach cant do it on his own.

You guys need a Ben Kennedy type signing. Someone who is respected alongside Freddie. Someone who's inspirational on the field and a no nonsense leader off it.

The pairing of BK & Des worked superbly.