What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Super XIII?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
What makes people think a comp has to be like the NRL or ESL for a start?

It could be the same as the Championship in England. Make sure every club that partakes can afford it (say 1 million a season and a few are around that now).

The A League out here is exactly what the FFR13 should aim to have and then grow from there.

Why some seem to think I'm all for killing clubs is beyond me, I never said anything like that and would hate form that to happen.

If clubs can reach the min standards the League asks for, good, if not, play in the lower division and work on what you need to get back to the main top League.
We have too many teams like St Gaudens who stuff it up for everyone and only let people know they can play 1 day before the season is to kick off, the game needs a complete clean out where professionalism is concerned.

VictoryFC

Bench

It could be the same as the Championship in England. Make sure every club that partakes can afford it (say 1 million a season and a few are around that now).

The A League out here is exactly what the FFR13 should aim to have and then grow from there.

Why some seem to think I'm all for killing clubs is beyond me, I never said anything like that and would hate form that to happen.

If clubs can reach the min standards the League asks for, good, if not, play in the lower division and work on what you need to get back to the main top League.
We have too many teams like St Gaudens who stuff it up for everyone and only let people know they can play 1 day before the season is to kick off, the game needs a complete clean out where professionalism is concerned.

Yeah agreed. Why couldn't a league comp work if you're not going to compare it to the NRL? A huge investment is not required at all.

Good point about a-league too. Unlike Australia, France isn't inundated with teams country wide. You used Le Mans as an example. Beautiful new boutique 25k stadium, and only one soccer team. Places like Newcastle have shown that over time you can build a niche following. And without any clutter like in Sydney or Melbourne, you can get a very cooperative local media. Small salary cap, get networks like Al Jazeera on board (even if people are saying they're not interested), you can start to really build something.

Last edited:

langpark

First Grade

Man, stop taking this all personally! You're a great contributor who keeps us up to date on French RL, which I said many times, but still, I'm allowed to disagree.

A-League is a good example, but remember, every place that had a team when it started, had a junior base numbering in the tens of thousands. The game not only existed in all these places, but had strong foundations, that's why it was a success.

I simply said, and I stand by this, that it would be foolish to give a team to a place where there's ZERO evidence of the game being played there! If you want to take that as a personal attack then go ahead...

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Man, stop taking this all personally! You're a great contributor who keeps us up to date on French RL, which I said many times, but still, I'm allowed to disagree.

A-League is a good example, but remember, every place that had a team when it started, had a junior base numbering in the tens of thousands. The game not only existed in all these places, but had strong foundations, that's why it was a success.

I simply said, and I stand by this, that it would be foolish to give a team to a place where there's ZERO evidence of the game being played there! If you want to take that as a personal attack then go ahead...

I put in random regional cities just to point out where teams could potentially be if they decided to start another comp, they could very well have all the LER 1 teams that are in there now plus a couple of others from the bigger cities that already exist.

Just looking at all the cities I mentioned to see if RL has or ever had a presence and came across this.

Dijonis long a stronghold of rugby (XIII and XV).

http://www.fixturebox.com/football/frenchligue1/dijon.html

So it looks like Le Mans is the only one and I know they were going to join RL but that was 70 years ago so a waste of time and Lille had RL played there years ago but if a rich person wanted to back them, well why not..

If you take all the LER clubs, 1 and 2, nearly every major city in France is covered, so it's not much different to what the A League had to begin with.

And yes I do get shitty when people criticise stuff but don't put their own version up for ridicule.

mono_mal

Juniors
Surely such a competition is not feasible in the forseeable future. The current strength of the French game lies around the games regional heartlands where crowds upwards of 5000 attend games involving Lezignan, Carcasonne, Toulouse and Avignon.

I believe the current Elite competition with finetuning can become a competition similar in strength to the English Championship. Teams in Lyon and Paris should be a priority to make it a 12 team competiton and improve the games public profile. This would make it a 12 team competition and could be achieved in the short term as Lyon are currently strong in the Elite 2 and Paris returned to the elite 2 this, although prematurely, though would need greater assistance. The proposed Albi-Lescure merger would also help improve the standard of competiton.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'm pretty sure there won't be any sort of new competition, in all honesty it's competley unfeasable and would make absolutely no sense to even attempt at this stage. I suspect the confusion has come because the French media do tend to use flowery and over-dramatic language, especially when translated into English; I saw an article a while ago that described Scott Dureau as the 'God of Hell'. Honestly, I think the most likely explanation is that this guy from Lille would like to see French RL expand so that it is played in 'all regions', and no more than that.

langpark

First Grade
And yes I do get shitty when people criticise stuff but don't put their own version up for ridicule.
Again, it's not ridicule, it's discussion. Here's who I'd rate in order of most viable to least viable (based on what I know)...

1. Catalans
2. Avignon
3. Toulouse
4. Carcassonne
5. Lezignan
6. Montpellier
7. Lyon
------------
I think these plus another three established heartland clubs would be great...

Gambass

Juniors
Some updates here :
ffr13.fr/index.php/ffr-xiii/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2421

Key points:
- There was definitely a meeting in early february between Larrat and the presidents of the french elite clubs regarding a ten year project for the future of the national championship.
- The project run in collaboration between the Federation and Luc Dayan is said to be "ambitious", "original" and likely to "revolutionize" the competition.
- The project is for the moment only in "conception stage", a feasibility study will be run during the next six months.
- Nothing will happen at the very least before the beginning of the 2013-2014 season.
- Not sacrificing the heartland, he wish to convince new partners comming from "new horizons" and established in "large cities"
- A broadcaster and national sponsorship are needed for the project to take off.
- Larrat seems very optimistic about the all thing after his first meetings have all been very "positives".

It seems all good to me but where does it leave the Dragon Catalans and Toulouse ? I do not think that anything too ambitious (and this looks like ambitious to me) can be run without the two being on board.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Some updates here :
ffr13.fr/index.php/ffr-xiii/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2421

Key points:
- There was definitely a meeting in early february between Larrat and the presidents of the french elite clubs regarding a ten year project for the future of the national championship.
- The project run in collaboration between the Federation and Luc Dayan is said to be "ambitious", "original" and likely to "revolutionize" the competition.
- The project is for the moment only in "conception stage", a feasibility study will be run during the next six months.
- Nothing will happen at the very least before the beginning of the 2013-2014 season.
- Not sacrificing the heartland, he wish to convince new partners comming from "new horizons" and established in "large cities"
- A broadcaster and national sponsorship are needed for the project to take off.
- Larrat seems very optimistic about the all thing after his first meetings have all been very "positives".

It seems all good to me but where does it leave the Dragon Catalans and Toulouse ? I do not think that anything too ambitious (and this looks like ambitious to me) can be run without the two being on board.

Cheers mate, I'll put the link in for you.

http://ffr13.fr/index.php/ffr-xiii/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2421

The President made the point

On the occasion of an exclusive interview he granted us, the President of the FFR XIII LARRAT Nicolas, is a new item on television, the elite of French rugby league, not to mention the team France and the next world cup 2013. Everything you need to know is told.

President, first of all, the new Secretary General of the FFR XIII?

He is certainly right that you asked because I know many are worried treizistes and Herve is our Secretary General, that is to say a key figure of French rugby league. We were all deeply shocked by his sudden hospitalization and foremost we have a special thought for very warm and his wife Claudette, her children, her grandchildren, her family living a trial so unfair and difficult. It is not for me here, and I care not, to discuss publicly the health of a friend to me, which is so dear. The only thing I allow myself to say is that Hervé fights like he always did, without letting go, and we all miss him greatly. You know Hervé is a key player in our federation. Its availability, skills, experience, foresight, his great modesty, his kindness, his friendship fail us more each day. So yes, we pray for every moment he should win the fight he is waging and come back with us soon. And it will happen. We still have so much to do together, we have so many projects to be undertaken, we have so many emotions and special moments to share.

President, a few weeks ago, the announcement was made of the arrival of Al Jazeera Sport as presenter of the Super League, what can you tell us?

It is certain that the official announcement made by Charles Bietry concerning the broadcast on Al Jazeera Sport Future of SUPER LEAGUE English but also the Australian National Rugby League will allow maximum exposure for professional rugby league international. The two major championships around the globe are now more widely available and is of course very good news. But even more, which I think is most important is that we have in the person of Charles Bietry a true connoisseur of the sport, someone who has always enjoyed rugby league and has always worked primarily in the defend. Charles Bietry was to support the project of France Rugby League, Paris Saint Germain and Rugby League. Charles BIERTY will perfectly enhance the SUPER LEAGUE and the NRL and this is what is essential. All the work has been done behind the scenes in recent months has paid off and all those hours spent in defending the Rugby League in all its components have not been in vain. We must therefore welcome this excellent news which is primarily the result of a remarkable collaboration between the Rugby Football League, the French Federation of Rugby League and their common agent, the company IMG.

Charles Bietry also mentioned his interest in the XIII of France, what is it exactly?

In this context, it is normal for the future Al Jazeera Sport expresses interest in the XIII of France which is a showcase of French rugby league. World Cup 2013 also advanced his nose and the competition promises to be a major sporting event at the international level. So of course, discussions are ongoing and a work meeting be held soon to discuss this prospect. For now, this is to remember and confidentiality must be essential. I shall say no more.

Among the good news also, you have announced the release of the final championship of France on France 3 South, like last season.

Yes, I discussed several weeks ago with the direction of Sports France Television for this purpose. As the 2011 final, the 2012 championship final in France will have again the honor of public service. This is also another satisfaction since it will be the third meeting which will be broadcast live on France 3 Sud in one year. Relations that are established gradually between the Federation and France Television are relationships of trust, professionalism and always constructive. The French rugby league appears each time more as a credible interlocutor who can meet its commitments around the activation events that we organize. And that could very quickly open up new perspectives.

This forwarding of the next championship final in France is also the confirmation of the progress made by our elites.

Yes it is obvious. Without this work has been done without these efforts have been made without this ability we have today can create the event by filling stadiums and offering a quality show, the approach would have been harder. This is the fulfillment of a collective effort that we make, federation and clubs for several seasons.

Precisely, about the elite clubs, a meeting that you chaired was held on February 10 in Carcassonne, since rumors spread ...

It is difficult to stop even if he was asked representatives of the elite clubs to observe a degree of confidentiality with respect to the exchanges we have had. Everyone does not seem to meet this commitment but it does not matter. Indeed, I wished to gather the presidents of elite clubs, as I had announced to them of the implementation of an important project for the future of our championship of France that I work for several weeks now in collaboration with Luc Dayan who brings us his advice and experience for this purpose. It was normal in these circumstances to inform clubs of the initiative and gather their support. But there is no respect to race. The project he is currently reflected falls in the long run and whether it should be born, it was not until the 2013-2014 season. This is an ambitious project that is currently at the design stage in order to determine whether or not effectively implemented. A feasibility study will be undertaken during the next 6 months and once we have all the elements in hand will make a decision that could revolutionize our flagship competition. But we're not there yet. I am determined that this process be accomplished with seriousness, rigor and professionalism. What I want for our elite, what I think she should do for the next ten years, I spoke at the meeting of February 10. We will then do a summary at the beginning of summer and we can decide. But I am confident because all the clues lead me to be.

Does this mean that there could be a profound change in terms of the championship of France Elite?

What we seek above all is to consider the establishment of a new model compared to the evolution of French sport of recent decades that has not been that good. It is certainly not to sacrifice our traditional strongholds that are our roots and our history. This is primarily to establish the conditions of an economic system accessible by the greatest number, where the values ​​of sport and will be preserved where excesses of all kinds will be banned to allow the competition to speak the best possible conditions. The spirit of sport will be a guiding principle and we will try to convince future leaders from all backgrounds and present in large cities to join us and embark on the adventure with us. Of course, this ambitious and original certainly will not happen without a diffuser and national partners. But the first contacts are already positive. To us to keep moving forward, seriously, patiently and let Luc Dayan us the freedom to submit its analysis and we propose its recommendations. We can then make decisions that will be. But we had to look ahead and display some other ambitions for the next level.

One last word about the President's choice of future coach XIII of France which is expected the appointment.

You understand that if no name has been communicated to date, it is because the decision has not yet been taken. Since last December, I met many candidates, I talked with renowned coaches and I consulted as many. Some declined the proposal that had been made, others think. Still others are positioning themselves or make it known. I set an order of priorities because I want the best for the XIII of France in preparation for the next World Cup. Several options are emerging now, things change and patterns become clearer. I look foremost that the future of coach XIII of France is able to unite around the ambitions of French rugby league has to show. Discussions are continuing and there is no reason to rush the stage. Things should settle down in the coming weeks. You just have to be patient even though I can understand that fans, players, treizistes have wanted to know. The only thing I am now able to announce to the XIII of France, is the official creation of the club France. A club that will bring together financial partners, economic operators and those from the world of media, TV, print media ... I wanted to kick off the next World Cup in 2013, Whether the club France, occupies the ground and holds regular evening debates around the themes that will help the French rugby league to go ahead. France This club will be chaired by a former president of the FFR XIII, which I believe will leverage his experience and passion still intact in the service of our sport. Finally, we worked in parallel with the Rugby Football League for the establishment of the international calendar for next season since the 2012 tour of New Zealand eventually proved impossible to organize. Thus, France will have its program four important meetings. First Wales on June 16, for a test match to be held at our friends Welsh. Second, participation XIII of France in the Euro-Nations which will see the blue face England and Wales in a kind of Tri Nations between the best European nations in the northern hemisphere. France will host the Welsh end of October and then will travel to England in early November. The first two will contest the final to finally be awarded the trophy Jean Galia. Four games are in the program in 2012 and I am sure will best prepare the next World Cup.

Last edited:

welshmagpie

Juniors
So Wales vs France in Wales on June 16th? That's good news... good to get a mid season international weekend.