What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friendly - Republic of Ireland 0 v Qantas Socceroos 3 @ Limerick, Ireland

Who will win

• Republic of Ireland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

griffo346

First Grade
aus-ire.jpg

images

Mark Schwarzer, Ante Covic; Patrick Kisnorbo, Lucas Neill, Rhys Williams, Jade North, Matthew Spiranovic, Adrian Madaschi, Luke Wilkshire; Mark Bresciano, James Holland, Dario Vidosic, Tim Cahill, Nick Carle, Aaron Mooy, Harry Kewell, Oliver Bozanic, David Carney, Mile Jedinak; Scott McDonald, Brett Holman, Nikita Rukavytsya.

images

T.B.A

ref-2.jpg

T.B.A

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Wonder if we get to see Robbie the arm flapper play for Ireland

Spiranovic i hope plays
hes very good and is the future of the socceroos imo

btw what ever happened to david williams that kid had huge wraps on him

Misanthrope

Staff member
Not many better guys to get some mentoring from, that's for sure. Might not be at his best these days - but still far better at his peak than any other striker currently in the A-League.

Looking forward to this one. I fancy our chances.

griffo346

First Grade
Danny Invincible been added to the socceroos squad for the game

according to sportsbet.com.au

Republic of Ireland - $2.15
Australia - $3.30
Draw - $3.20

griffo346

First Grade
Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek to play Scott McDonald as lone striker

From correspondents in Limerick, Ireland
August 12, 2009 Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek does not intend to change his lone-striker strategy any time soon.
With Josh Kennedy left out of Australia's European-based squad to face Republic of Ireland in a friendly on Thursday morning EST, Verbeek plans to start with Scott McDonald as the only man up front.

"If you don't have Josh, then you have to find other players in that position or change your strategy a little bit," Verbeek said.

"I think you should not change too many things that are good ... sometimes probably I will change, but I'm not going to use too many friendly matches for changing the system because I think we're doing well with the system we are playing.

"We have the players to play 4-2-3-1, so why should I change that? It's up to Scotty and all the other players to to pick up a spot in that selection."

McDonald has thrived in a two-striker formation for Celtic, but with Kennedy spared the travel from Japan, the diminutive 25-year-old led the attack on his own in an 11-versus-11 hit-out at Limerick's Thomond Park on Tuesday.

The practice match indicated Mark Bresciano, Tim Cahill and Harry Kewell will start the game behind McDonald, with Luke Wilkshire and Mile Jedinak in midfield in front of an inexperienced defence of Rhys Williams, Jade North, Patrick Kisnorbo and David Carney, and veteran goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

Despite a heavy bandage round his head, Kisnorbo trained apparently unaffected by a wound requiring 12 stitches sustained in Leeds United's win over Exeter on Saturday.

Captain Lucas Neill, who is still without a club after his contract with West Ham expired, appeared likely to come off the bench.

Verbeek said he and Neill had discussed his club prospects, but would not be drawn on which way his player was leaning and the defender has said he remains undecided.

"He's a fantastic player," Verbeek said.

"I am not worried at all. I would be worried if it was two months before the World Cup.

"Lucas, I am 100 per cent sure he will find an interesting club for himself and for his career and if you see that even without having a club he looks so fit, he is ready and has trained very hard for himself."

Midfielder Danny Invincibile, a late inclusion in the squad, was ruled out because of an injury picked up playing for Kilmarnock at the weekend, although he was expected to be fit for the Scottish club's next fixture on Saturday.

Tottenham captain Robbie Keane, who will lead a full-strength Ireland side in an important match ahead of next month's World Cup qualifier against Cyprus expected Australia to be "a good test for us".

"By no means is it going to be an easy game," he said.
AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25918422-5014539,00.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont get his fixation with the lone striker, let alone Scott McDonald

Misanthrope

Staff member
Cracking result for us. Cahill got a double and Carney hit another long range stunner. We looked assured in defence until the very end and very ominous in attack during the first half when Cahill/Kewell/Bresciano all got to play together.

The win was well deserved and that was easily our best performance under Verbeek in my eyes. Will be good to see how we line up against Korea next month.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing performance and good team effort.

And Scott McDonald is still yet to hit the back of the net for Australia