What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

from the Fan Forum with Ricky, Noddy, Pierce and Donaghy

Dread

Juniors
It was an interesting evening. Only about 50 people in attendance, no doubt as a result of the incredible lack of advertising. Here's something of a brief summary, off the top of my head, so no doubt there's some stuff missing.

For anyone who knows nothing of the concept, a panel consisting of Greg Pierce, Brett Kimmorley, Ricky Stuart and Paul Donaghy were fielding questions from the gathered fans.

Ricky on re-signing Kimmorley - Spoken with Noddy's manager, they'll be giving him six or seven weeks to just play before entering into any possible talks. Also joked about discussing which English club he would be playing for next year.

Ricky on the current state of the club, and the future of the club - was brutally honest and said that realistically, we're four or five years off challenging for a premiership. Lacking three or four strike players that other clubs have and are necessary to win comps. He said that he wouldn't normally come out in the media and say such a thing because it might appear he's fishing for a new contract, but that was how he saw things.

Ricky on recruitment for next year - named no names but said they would be chasing five or six players, including two experienced representatives.

G. Pierce on the development - said its an arduous process but at the moment they want to focus on getting their stadium redeveloped before concentrating on the major development of their land. Ricky then chimed in, mentioning how they'll be meeting with some big company or other in the next few weeks to discuss a possible application to develop the land, which would turn into a major cash cow for the club if it came off.

Donaghy on marketing the leagues club - mentioned some initiatives in the local area, but then said that they'd never draw as many people as Northies because all the hot chicks go there.

Ricky on the pace of our backline - conceded our backline is very slow. Experimenting at training with putting Simmo in the centres. Mentioned Covell would be a rep level winger if he had two metres of extra pace.

Ricky on Ben Ross - still not performing to his best because he's still recovering from his knee reco. Can't expect to see the best from him for at least another 8 or so rounds.

Ricky on gunshy Simmo - said that he's still regaining confidence following his shoulder reconstruction and that'll take time to overcome.

G. Pierce on the financial stability of the club - we're doing fine at the moment, but only because the salary cap is keeping a lid on player earnings.

G. Pierce, when asked by local businessmen about whether the board actively seeks local expertise to inject some of that expertise into their operations
- umm.. well this isn't really a board discussion, I don't think it would be appropriate to discuss that here. Board elections are in May though!

Ricky on the post match presentation - wants them canned because he doesn't think it fair that the players cop abuse from anonymous punters in the crowd.

That was the objective side of things, a brief run down of what was said by whom.

My impressions were as such:

Ricky Stuart was brutally honest in his assessment of everything.

Noddy didn't field anything particularly difficult, but was genuine enough.

Pierce, in my opinion, chatted away like any old politician. On a number of occasions MC Glenn Wheeler had to pointedly repeat a question so he'd stop dancing around the issue at hand. Very frustrating to listen to.

Donaghy just seemed incredibly unprofessional. Seemed to treat the night as a joke. Not a great impression.

cheese

Bench
cheers, dude. solid run-down

Did anyone fire any shots at kimmorley's poor form?

Dread

Juniors
Remembered another...

Ricky on Luke Douglas starting from the bench - Ricky said his view is to have the best forwards on the park for the second stanza of the first half, to shield them from the more physical side of the opening minutes. Said less mobile forwards such as Stapleton are better suited to copping that force and then bringing on superior attackers such as Dougy after 15 minutes or so.

Nobody really made anything of Noddy's form, from memory.

Ricky on the post match presentation - wants them canned because he doesn't think it fair that the players cop abuse from anonymous punters in the crowd.

What's the go there - have people been abusing the players?

Dread

Juniors
more so - was ricky asked any questions regarding kimmorely's performance to date?

Don't think so.

What's the go there - have people been abusing the players?

Sounded like Ricky was taking issue with some things that happened after the Rabbitohs game. I wasn't at the preso so I don't know what he was referring to.

Dave Q

Coach
An interesting report.

Three or four strike players required but the NRL is intent on raising the cap. That validates Ricky's genuine concern for boosting club finances.

Jack Gibson said Premierships are won by the front office and geez, at souths, we know all about that.

How do you get the big end of town interested in the sharks? Thats the immediate challenge I suppose.

As a practical measure I support a ban on criticising your own players. They are trying hard.

spider

Coach
Dave Q said:
How do you get the big end of town interested in the sharks? Thats the immediate challenge I suppose.
firstly win games - no one wants to invest in an unresouceful product

As a practical measure I support a ban on criticising your own players. They are trying hard.
meh - let 'em do so

but to their face rather than being hidden in the crowd

Ausguy

Coach
dont the rabbits fans come out of the woodwork when they win..... same for sharks fans i spose... wouldnt know actually, need to win to see them.

Dave Q

Coach
Ausguy said:
dont the rabbits fans come out of the woodwork when they win..... same for sharks fans i spose... wouldnt know actually, need to win to see them.

Troll Patrol alert!

Dave Q

Coach
SpiderShark said:
firstly win games - no one wants to invest in an unresouceful product

Chicken and egg argument I suppose

meh - let 'em do so

but to their face rather than being hidden in the crowd

Yes

spider

Coach
Dave - did you just throw an omelette into my post???

edit: now i see what you were doing

and yes i agree - why be a nancy pussy bitch about it

if they have something to say, walk up the front to do so or dont say it at all

pretty simple stuff really

Inferno

Coach
Much appreciated Dread, and anyone else dropping information and opinions on what happened.

Interesting to see Ricky mention us being 4 or 5 years away from winning a premiership, he's only signed for 2 years isn't he?... Reading between the lines it seems as though there might be a bit of deadwood to replace in that time.

Good thinking regarding Dougy, that said I reckon he should start this week ahead of Ross. If you want to shield players from the opening stanza I reckon you are better off shielding injured players.

Seems he will be looking for backline players within the coming years, might have to wave good bye to Covell:(

I wonder how long that tentative return from injury excuse will last for Simmo?

But to be fair, there were plenty on here giving the Pom a fair bit of time to get over his tentativeness, but then again he did come through PL.

Thanks again Dread.

The Popper

Bench
SpiderShark said:
more so - was ricky asked any questions regarding kimmorely's performance to date?
Ricky said he was happy with Noddy's performances in all games so far.
I only had two questions, but didn't need to ask them.
1) we've already been told our chances of winning the comp
2) Junior talent and development - Ricky has already spotted flaws here. Mention has been made on other threads of lack of our `toughness' when compared to other JL's. Ricky has already spotted this as lack of strength and power when compared to other JL's and is implementing programs to remedy the situation.
I was most impressed by Ricky's demeanor and talk. He seems to have his finger on the pulse and I left the meeting with an air of confidence for the future, even if not for the immediate future.
All parties expressed positive thoughts of the proposed developments and the future finances of the club too.
Mention was also made regarding the amount of vocal support from the fans. We often seem to be out-cheered by opposition fans. Sure, we have the Finatics and the CSSC but there seems to be very little structure in their vocal support when compared to other teams. For instance, I sit in the PB Stand and basically all I could hear last week was `South Sydney, South Sydney' from near the scoreboard. Sure the flags were waving, but no structured Sharkies vocal support.
Good summary, Dread.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
tks for the report dread and pops.

Just on the crowds enthusiasm. Dave Q mentioned the chicken and egg thing. We have one win from our last 13. Start winning games and the crowd will have something to cheer about.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Ricky on the current state of the club, and the future of the club - was brutally honest and said that realistically, we're four or five years off challenging for a premiership. Lacking three or four strike players that other clubs have and are necessary to win comps. He said that he wouldn't normally come out in the media and say such a thing because it might appear he's fishing for a new contract, but that was how he saw things.

Honest Ricky? He will never make propaganda minister in some fascist government.

Won't surprise me if someone in the media picks up on this statement.

The Popper

Bench
To qualify Dread's comments about the chances of winning a comp. Ricky also added that the year the Roosters won the comp, they only won one out of their first five games and also had a mid-season slump before winning seven on the trot. And the year Penrith won the comp, they did not perform that well early and some officials were looking for Langy's scalp. So you just never know. Look at the Broncs last year.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
But if a coach of Ricky's stature says we are four to five years from challenging for a premiership you have to sit up and take notice pops.

Maybe its like when the NRMA says they will be an hour and they turn up in half and hour.

millersnose

Post Whore
4 or 5 years to even 'challenge'.......

geez he is optimistic...

are you sure you heard that right?