What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full time expansion clubs.

Pommy

Coach
Firstly I would like to say I support the foreign expansion clubs totally.
But to support them doesn’t mean that things couldn’t perhaps be done better.
Players essentially spending the night awake travelling prior to a game hardly seems fair and this article makes some good points.
Perhaps in France it would be possible to fly the players in Saturday and play early (11am) Sunday with them flying home again that afternoon.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/barr...trips-4f1b3f0d-5f42-405d-b01f-5171cfa78d6b-ds

Evil Homer

Staff member
Firstly I would like to say I support the foreign expansion clubs totally.
But to support them doesn’t mean that things couldn’t perhaps be done better.
Players essentially spending the night awake travelling prior to a game hardly seems fair and this article makes some good points.
Perhaps in France it would be possible to fly the players in Saturday and play early (11am) Sunday with them flying home again that afternoon.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/barr...trips-4f1b3f0d-5f42-405d-b01f-5171cfa78d6b-ds
If they want to pay for a charter flight like the SL clubs do they are welcome to do that.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Barrow complained about going to Toronto last year in League 1. They new playing in the championship would mean travel to Toulouse and Toronto. Stay in League 1. You don’t have to be promoted. Plus, they knew that at least half the clubs in championship are full time. You can’t express surprise now. Why not provide feedback when the draw was first released?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Back in the real world however.
So what do you suggest? Or is this in typical Cumbrian fashion just complaining for the sake of it about something that could only be avoided if they were a bigger club with more money.

Pommy

Coach
Barrow complained about going to Toronto last year in League 1. They new playing in the championship would mean travel to Toulouse and Toronto. Stay in League 1. You don’t have to be promoted. Plus, they knew that at least half the clubs in championship are full time. You can’t express surprise now. Why not provide feedback when the draw was first released?

Maybe they did? Still it should be common sense to try and make these trips as fair as possible.

Pommy

Coach
So what do you suggest? Or is this in typical Cumbrian fashion just complaining for the sake of it about something that could only be avoided if they were a bigger club with more money.

I already made a suggestion, you might as well have said they jump on their magic carpet and fly there.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I already made a suggestion, you might as well have said they jump on their magic carpet and fly there.
Yes, your suggestion is not possible unless they have a charter plane and also seems pretty weird that you would try to force Toulouse or anyone to play their home matches at 11AM on a Sunday morning. Super League clubs playing Catalans charter a plane and fly in and out on the same day without any problem. The reason Barrow can't do that is because they are a tiny club with no resources. So yes I'm going to go with what I said in my last post.

Pommy

Coach
Yes, your suggestion is not possible unless they have a charter plane and also seems pretty weird that you would try to force Toulouse or anyone to play their home matches at 11AM on a Sunday morning. Super League clubs playing Catalans charter a plane and fly in and out on the same day without any problem. The reason Barrow can't do that is because they are a tiny club with no resources. So yes I'm going to go with what I said in my last post.

How many championship clubs can afford a charter plane? That’s just the reality of rugby league in England below the super league.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Maybe they did? Still it should be common sense to try and make these trips as fair as possible.

If you work friday and monday and live a few hours from an international airport, you’re gonna struggle. The only solution would be to get the RFL or the host club to pay for the charter flight.