What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

So, the outcome is that the NRL stadium and AFL stadium are both getting $500m each for upgrades. Putting aside what might have been, I am not sure that it is really a massive win for RL or massive loss for AFL. Yes, a few regional stadiums are getting minor upgrades but those are mainly temporary.

At the end of the day NRL and AFL in Brisbane get the same spend. I reckon if the initial announcement was that the Gabba was getting a half billion upgrade most on here would have been furious.

Athletics (courtesy of John Coates) is the big winner. A sport that nobody watches is getting the most dollars. Then again, neither NRL nor AFL is an Olympic sport so that is probably fair enough.
That’s basically the Olympics in a nutshell.

Vlad59

Juniors
What I reckon we’ll see now is cricket and the fumbletards go off the shelf with pressure to get the stadium they want in QLD. It’s clear they are a cabal now and are as thick as thieves. We’d do well to remind the Labor and liberal party of the power of our game and align ourselves with football and union to get what we want and deserve.

Colk

First Grade
a predictable response, boring but predictable.

Well he is right. Why are you so sad that the government isn’t spending money that directly benefits fumbleball?

I know and you know that if they went with the stupid Victoria Park stadium then that would have benefited only fumbleball. The fumblers have got plenty of good stadiums around the country

It’s sad that no other country has to put up with this cancer but it is what it is.

Canard

Immortal
So, the outcome is that the NRL stadium and AFL stadium are both getting $500m each for upgrades. Putting aside what might have been, I am not sure that it is really a massive win for RL or massive loss for AFL. Yes, a few regional stadiums are getting minor upgrades but those are mainly temporary.

At the end of the day NRL and AFL in Brisbane get the same spend. I reckon if the initial announcement was that the Gabba was getting a half billion upgrade most on here would have been furious.

Athletics (courtesy of John Coates) is the big winner. A sport that nobody watches is getting the most dollars. Then again, neither NRL nor AFL is an Olympic sport so that is probably fair enough.
AFL was going to get a 2.5B stadium and RL nothing.

And yes RL people like us, where pissy about that, why wouldn't we be????

Iamback

Coach
Well he is right. Why are you so sad that the government isn’t spending money that directly benefits fumbleball?

I know and you know that if they went with the stupid Victoria Park stadium then that would have benefited only fumbleball. The fumblers have got plenty of good stadiums around the country

It’s sad that no other country has to put up with this cancer but it is what it is.

Correct. Rectangle sports are king up there

Vlad59

Juniors
Its short sighted knee jerk for votes by a qlnd govt under pressure.
Suncorp will need much more than that to get it to 70k+ and fit for the next 40-50 years.
Gabba needs the $500mill plus another $1bill in ten years according to the report just to keep it going. And it will still be behind Melbourne and Perth.
And they are spending $1.6bill on a 14k athletics stadium that will be pretty sht for the Olympics.

Taking the RL rose tinted glasses off its a pretty poor outcome for $3billion stadium spend all round and for the Olympics which was the point of it all.
AFL red strikes again!

Vlad59

Juniors

If the afl is the cancer of sport, afl red is the cancer of this forum

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Qe2 costs are bs

won’t be more than 500 million tops
Yeah one nice big stand along one straight, embankments round the rest, and probably new lighting and a a new track surface.
then temporary seating on the embankments. If the current temporary stands are still structurally sound they can probably be partially re-used by giving them a lick of paint and new seats.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Yeah one nice big stand along one straight, embankments round the rest, and probably new lighting and a a new track surface.
then temporary seating on the embankments. If the current temporary stands are still structurally sound they can probably be partially re-used by giving them a lock of paint and news seats.

No doubt counts improvement in public transport too, which shouldn't be included in a sport figure