What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

carcharias

Immortal
So what NEW events will these stadiums bring to Sydney? He has a point re sports tourism but that only works if you have new events or more people attend the existing ones. I’m not aware of Sydney currently missing out on any sports events because of stadium size or quality?

Maybe music
Maybe women’s soccer
Maybe UFC
Maybe motorsports

You are unaware because you actually know zero about Sydney.
Earlier in this thread you said people won’t cross the bridge to watch footy.
Cross what f**king bridge?
You obviously meant the Syd Harbour bridge.
All but one Sydney team are on the same bloody side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe lol

Is there an event in the last two years Sydney has failed to win due to the quality of the existing stadia? Usually comes down to how much a state Govt is willing to pay Id have thought?

Raiderdave

First Grade
Maybe lol

Is there an event in the last two years Sydney has failed to win due to the quality of the existing stadia? Usually comes down to how much a state Govt is willing to pay Id have thought?

If the NSW govt insists on a long term GF contract with the NRL if these venues are built , then there's about 6 GFs in the next 20 years you can directly attribute to their construction

And who knows how much extra $$ to the Sydney economy which will go elsewhere if they aren't

carcharias

Immortal
If the NSW govt insists on a long term GF contract with the NRL if these venues are built , then there's about 6 GFs in the next 20 years you can directly attribute to their construction

And who knows how much extra $$ to the Sydney economy which will go elsewhere if they aren't
Like I said earlier the Olympic stadium was built for the Olympics.
I’ve seen
The Olympics
The sharks win the comp
And the Rolling Stones there

The old SFS gets used for many different things
I’ve seen U2 there

I know the Catholics had world youth day in one of them

beave

Coach
Like I said earlier the Olympic stadium was built for the Olympics.
I’ve seen
The Olympics
The sharks win the comp
And the Rolling Stones there

Pffffft, those events you mention at the venue pale into huge insignificance when compared to that one other momentous event that resulted in the very first downfall of a tyrannous regime and the huge humbling of their heinous supporters of said tyrannous regime...........

images

carcharias

Immortal
Pffffft, those events you mention at the venue pale into huge insignificance when compared to that one other momentous event that resulted in the very first downfall of a tyrannous regime and the huge humbling of their heinous supporters of said tyrannous regime...........

images
I also mentioned catholic youth week

So
It is a place of evil and redemption

The two biggest Satan’s in the game were both humiliated there
A real David and Goliath story

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA Govt coping flack here as they decided to cap attendance at the new stadium for the possible Scorchers finals game so that public transport can cope lol! This came on the back of a story a few days earlier saying there would be no uber or car drop off points near the stadium as they wanted people to use public transport!

Expect a backflip anytime now!

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/s...dium-over-peakhour-fears-20180115-h0ij0n.html

beave

Coach
Good luck trying to ban people from being dropped off by an Uber. How are they going to be stopped from getting dropped off near at the brewery or at the stadium itself in the drop off area?

siv

First Grade

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just walk over the bridge !

I'm not sure where they think people will be walking from over the bridge? lol. There's not much in East perth parking or transport wise. Double header I'll be train into city > beer > then train to stadium. Hopefully its packed and a nightmare as that will mean lots of people going!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t/news-story/d7506ecc847e9cca0f10f1827e0c68cc

Perth’s impressive Optus Stadium set to entice sports fans west

As the NSW government prepares to rip down Sydney’s two biggest sporting arenas, Perth will launch its boldest attempt to lure major events away from the east coast with a dazzling $1.6 billion stadium that holds 60,000 people and is touted as among the world’s best.

Premier Mark McGowan will tomorrow formally open the aluminium-clad Optus Stadium, which sits on the banks of the Swan River to the east of Perth’s CBD as a sparkling symbol of Western Australia’s geological wealth.

More than 100,000 people will enter the doughnut-shaped venue for the first time as part of a free open day — in recognition that each West Australian household has contributed about $1500 to the project at a time of soaring state government debt.

The first major sporting event will be held next weekend: a one-day cricket international between Australia and England in front of a sellout crowd.

The Weekend Australian had a guided tour of the impressive venue this week with WA Sports Minister Mick Murray, who maintains the huge spending — initiated by the previous Barnett government — is warranted given the potential economic benefits for the state. “It’s top of the wozza — it’s really something special,” he said. “I’ve been to the MCG, I’ve been to Etihad Stadium (in Melbourne) and we are up there. We are really now matching all of Australia.”

Tourism Council of WA chief executive Evan Hall said he believed Perth could also capitalise on the NSW government’s controversial decision to demolish and rebuild ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium in coming years.

“Competition will hot up between the venues anyway,” he said. “If at the same time there are fewer options in Sydney, then there are opportunities for other venues in Australia — and you look at Perth’s capacity of 60,000 and the fact that it’s brand new.”

Hall said research showed AFL matches involving Perth’s two clubs would attract as many as 40,000 additional interstate visitors a year, given the previous home ground at Subiaco was dilapidated and could hold only 40,000 spectators.

In a tangible sign of the tourism potential, about 7000 seats for two Ed Sheeran concerts in March at the new venue have already been snapped up by fans from overseas and interstate.

Optus Stadium will also host game two of the 2019 State of Origin series between NSW and Queensland, attracting thousands of east coast fans who are likely to stay in Perth, on average, for four nights each.

The stadium, however, has not been without controversy.

The Liberal opposition claimed the McGowan government’s decision to sell the naming rights to Singapore-owned telco Optus for $10 million a year represented a huge missed opportunity to promote Perth.

And there has been debate for months over the decision to allow only mid-strength beer to be sold at the venue.

This week the government found itself in a pickle over an unpopular plan to cap the crowd at a potential Big Bash cricket semi-final next month to 40,000 because a key footbridge connecting the stadium to the CBD has not been completed.

But Hall and other tourism officials believe all these issues will be forgotten in time as more major events come to Perth, a city in need of economic confidence.

“Events are one of the missing ingredients we’ve had,” Hall said.

“Towns like Melbourne have used events very well to attract attention. Melbourne has a little, brown smudge of a river, no harbour bridge, no great landmarks and yet it’s been the standout success of tourism for the past 20 or 30 years.

“In Perth we haven’t had the venue to do that. This will be the most significant change to tourism to reinvigorate Perth in the east coast market.”

carcharias

Immortal
The price of air fares from the east coast will rule out a large chunk of fans using it though.
It’s not like a quick flight to melb or Brisbane either.
4 nights they reckon for SOO
Yeah right- good luck with that one.

Good if you live in Perth I guess...and you like AFL and the odd league and union rep match.