What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

What's the plan for the Roosters? I know they made a commitment to the SCG but surely they would be mad not to play more games in Central Coast &/or Adelaide as well.

Lower crowd drawing team + shit ground for rugby league viewing + a bunch of games with no real meaning behind them = recipe for disaster.

SCG - 6 games V Dragons/Souths/Manly/Bulldogs/Sharks/Parra/Tigers/Panthers
Central Coast - 5 games V Manly/Knights/Cowboys/Broncos/Titans/Warriors/Raiders/Panthers
Adelaide - 1 game V Storm

Could be a real oppurtunity to ramp up their involvment with Central Coast in the redevelopment years and claim it as their second home.

They may take more than 1 game to the Central Coast but I doubt they'll take 5 there. They know many of their current season ticketholders would not pay for that. Playtinmg that kind fo split is a good way to commit commercial suicide - just ask Norths when they became the wandering minstrels in 1999. Their crowds plummeted.

jim_57

Staff member
They may take more than 1 game to the Central Coast but I doubt they'll take 5 there. They know many of their current season ticketholders would not pay for that. Playtinmg that kind fo split is a good way to commit commercial suicide - just ask Norths when they became the wandering minstrels in 1999. Their crowds plummeted.

When your main stadium is being redeveloped I'm sure fans for the most part would understand moving games around. Playing too many games at the SCG would hit their crowds just as much IMO.

As for season ticket holders, they'd probably just split SCG, Central Coast and Adelaide memberships and price each accordingly I'd imagine.

When your main stadium is being redeveloped I'm sure fans for the most part would understand moving games around. Playing too many games at the SCG would hit their crowds just as much IMO.

As for season ticket holders, they'd probably just split SCG, Central Coast and Adelaide memberships and price each accordingly I'd imagine.

Mate I've been a Roosters season ticketholder for 20 years, and I know a god cross section ofg our season ticket holders. Quite a few of them won't go to Gosford. Membnership and Marketing at the Roosters know what the season ticketholders are like. If they tried it, they would take a big hit financially. They know better than to annoy the rusted ons, believe me. I've seen what happens when they ignore them (e.g. the revolt when they tried to forcibly locate all season ticketholders to the eastern side of the ground from the western side in the mid-1990s).

I don't doubt playing at the SCG will probably hit the crowds, but having no fixed playing base at all like you propose? That is a way to ensure you have no home ground really at all. We've lost more games at Gosford than we've won since the club started taking games there.

How awesome would a stadium identical to the new Parra be, just with a closing roof added? Oh well, politics and corruption.

One wonders if the pressure from the Peter Fitz crowd over cost gets too much whether the government will fall back to a smaller Parra style design as a way to nearly halve the price. Might actually be a better result for nearly all concerned. (except the SCG Trust!)

Leigh.

It’s an interesting one.

Would the government win over the public by downgrading Allianz, or would it make them look more incompetent by changing yet another policy?

Quidgybo

Bench
It’s an interesting one.

Would the government win over the public by downgrading Allianz, or would it make them look more incompetent by changing yet another policy?
They’d spin it by saying they’ve successfully dealt with the Allianz safety issues, provided a world class fan experience in a new stadium purpose built to meet the capacity needs of its major tenants. And, oh look! Here’s $350m for schools and hospitals, aren’t we great?!?

Leigh.

jim_57

Staff member
Mate I've been a Roosters season ticketholder for 20 years, and I know a god cross section ofg our season ticket holders. Quite a few of them won't go to Gosford. Membnership and Marketing at the Roosters know what the season ticketholders are like. If they tried it, they would take a big hit financially. They know better than to annoy the rusted ons, believe me. I've seen what happens when they ignore them (e.g. the revolt when they tried to forcibly locate all season
Mate I've been a Roosters season ticketholder for 20 years, and I know a god cross section ofg our season ticket holders. Quite a few of them won't go to Gosford. Membnership and Marketing at the Roosters know what the season ticketholders are like. If they tried it, they would take a big hit financially. They know better than to annoy the rusted ons, believe me. I've seen what happens when they ignore them (e.g. the revolt when they tried to forcibly locate all season ticketholders to the eastern side of the ground from the western side in the mid-1990s).

I don't doubt playing at the SCG will probably hit the crowds, but having no fixed playing base at all like you propose? That is a way to ensure you have no home ground really at all. We've lost more games at Gosford than we've won since the club started taking games there.

Fair enough mate, I won't argue and I wouldn't expect all fans to be happy. Hasn't the club proposed a schedule just as radical as the one I proposed?

A simple split of 8-4 or 9-3 Allianz-Central Coast maybe be the better way to go long term. If done well for every stubborn member that would give up because of that game split you could probably replace with 2/3 Central Coast members. I remember talk about the Cowboys new stadium that a good handful of people would boycott because there is no hill.. some people there is just no pleasing.

Fair enough mate, I won't argue and I wouldn't expect all fans to be happy. Hasn't the club proposed a schedule just as radical as the one I proposed?

A simple split of 8-4 or 9-3 Allianz-Central Coast maybe be the better way to go long term. If done well for every stubborn member that would give up because of that game split you could probably replace with 2/3 Central Coast members. I remember talk about the Cowboys new stadium that a good handful of people would boycott because there is no hill.. some people there is just no pleasing.

There are some fans who will travel to all games. I know quite a few of them too. Just some won't go to the Central Coast as their circumstances don't allow it. That much I know, and I dare say so doi the club.

Thje other reason I can't see the club doing such a big split venu wise is that it breaks the routine clubs like their players to be in. If you are playing at multiple venues all the time, it means the player's week to week routine varies due to the change in venue (which makes me wonder if this is why both the Tigers and the Dragons have issues at times too, but that is another story).

jim_57

Staff member
There are some fans who will travel to all games. I know quite a few of them too. Just some won't go to the Central Coast as their circumstances don't allow it. That much I know, and I dare say so doi the club.

Thje other reason I can't see the club doing such a big split venu wise is that it breaks the routine clubs like their players to be in. If you are playing at multiple venues all the time, it means the player's week to week routine varies due to the change in venue (which makes me wonder if this is why both the Tigers and the Dragons have issues at times too, but that is another story).

Do you think there would be much of a drop off if they offered membership packages to accomodate everyone though? An all home game membership, an 8 game Allianz membership, a 3/4 game Central Coast membership and an Adelaide membership?

There are so many variables to the packages you could offer, even options of away games as well.

The routine thing is worth considering, although those 2 teams have won premierships in '05 and '10 with similar arrangements.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Maybe the Sydney fans dont travel up, but the CC people would compensate.

Outside of your big events, you probably average 12k; thats not a high bar for the CC. Even if you somehow get less than that, you can still consider it a long term investment on fans in the area.

Or you can reject new fans, just focus the old rusted-ons and slowly watch your fan base shrink.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The money of a CC person is worth the same as an Easts local.

Maybe some fans dont travel up, but they will be replaced by a CC local or 2

jim_57

Staff member
Yes 2 teams, once each in 18 years of playing at multiple venues. Hardly a ringing endorsement either though is it.

Both those clubs are above average though, in a 16 team comp obviously if you win a comp once every 16 years you are holding your own. I don't think you can really say Storm, Roosters etc are more successful than Tigers and Dragons for that reason, although it may be a minor factor. Craig Bellamy and Trent Robinson V Jason Taylor, Mick Potter, Steve Price, Paul McGregor & Sheenius is the far more obvious one.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-allianz-stadium-rebuild-20180223-h0wk2c.html

NSW Waratahs look at Leichhardt Oval, Parramatta Stadium during Allianz Stadium rebuild

The Waratahs are considering taking Super Rugby matches to Leichhardt, Parramatta, Brookvale, Newcastle and the Illawarra while the Allianz Stadium rebuild takes place.

NSW Rugby boss Andrew Hore confirmed Parramatta Stadium, Brookvale Oval, McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle, Illawarra Sports Stadium, even Leichhardt Oval at a push, could play host to Waratahs home games for the next three seasons if the NSW government's controversial stadiums plan goes ahead later this year.

Hore said the Super Rugby team could also play at the Sydney Cricket Ground but, with the Sydney Roosters and Sydney FC booked there already, there were concerns pitch quality could be an issue.

The Waratahs will have a preference finalised by the end of next month, he said, and would listen carefully to feedback.

"We've got to go through a consultation process to make sure that's right because we still have members of the stadium to be looked after, our own members who need to be looked after, but we also have the wider interests of the game to look after," Hore said.

The $2 billion rebuild proposal put forward by Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Sport Minister Stuart Ayres has come under fierce criticism, with opponents calling for government funds to be spent in sectors other than sport.

Hore said the Waratahs needed a new stadium on the Allianz site at Moore Park, or risked being left behind.

"We're very 'pro' and the reason we're 'pro' is that we want our people to be able to get to toilets at half-time, to be able to get a beer and a pie without missing large sections of the game," he said.

"We feel as a state we've fallen behind the other states. We're going to have a light rail going right there with a good transport system ... why not use it to its maximum, create the bubble and squeak, get the money into pubs and bars again and use it to generate income, reignite all of the sports that play in there.

"Of course my view is biased but if I put that fan-centric hat on again, there's a need for it. The biggest complaints that can come into my office on a Monday aren't necessarily performance-based, but they can be on the experience those people have had. It all needs to be scrapped and changed.

"Hopefully we can create something NSW can be proud of. I think that strategy of having a smaller, medium and larger size stadium has merit in it for a state the size of NSW."

Hore rubbished reports the Waratahs were in line for $17 million in compensation from the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust, which owns Allianz Stadium and with which the Waratahs have a 16-year hire agreement. He said the organisation would look to change the agreement rather than enact clauses guaranteeing compensation while the stadium is being rebuilt.

"That is an absolute pipe dream and I can categorically say, I would love $17 million, but it's going to be reconfiguration of the hire agreement as opposed to a compensation, I think that's the way it's going to work out," he said.

"We've got to do our bit to make it happen as well and so do the other sports. I think the other sports are committed to that."

The contingency plan for the next three seasons was still up in the air but Hore appeared more inclined to take matches out to the community than tie the team to the SCG, although he did nominate the Waratahs' round nine clash with the Reds as a "trial" or sorts for any escalation of the arrangement.

"It's an option, there's a lot of stakeholders being asked to be in there," he said.

"If you look at the sevens and what three days of playing on a field does, that could be challenging to do. We've got to work through which way the field will go, what will work with the stands.

"The beauty of where we've got to on the Queensland game this year is it's nostalgic, a walk down memory lane but also it can be classed as a bit of a trial piece. We're excited by that. It doesn't necessarily mean we play every game there while Allianz is being pulled down."

The lure of small- to medium-sized stadia is strong for the Waratahs, who are hoping to rebuild their average home crowds to the 18,000 to 22,000-mark. The organisation considered a success the Brookvale Oval trial match against the Rebels but Hore said no decision would be made without extensive consultation.

"It's going to be a really fine balance and it's one that as a CEO you're going to get shot no matter what you do, but if your intentions are right and you're honest with why you're doing it and lay it out for people, then hopefully people will understand the logic even if they don't agree."

Hopefully the f@#ker's crowds dwindle even more due to multiple home grounds around the city and they fade into oblivion during those three years.

taipan

Referee
The Tahs should move to Henson Park.
That way the few hundred attendees can watch the live action via their cars, sipping ,and enjoying the cucumber sambos and at the same time discuss the next company take over bid.

magpie_man

Juniors
The Tahs should move to Henson Park.
That way the few hundred attendees can watch the live action via their cars, sipping ,and enjoying the cucumber sambos and at the same time discuss the next company take over bid.

Edit: their Land Rovers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
White with low profile tyres and gold emblems, wicker basket in the back and a bottle of pimms. Standard for all Hull folk lol

taipan

Referee
Edit: their Land Rovers.

My gawd Humphrey.By Jove you're correct ,we don't drive just cars,they in fact are engineered design masterpieces par excellence.
Not like those plebish vehicles those boganish rl supporters drive.Let's face it ,most of them are nothing more than mid 20th Century Valiants ,with a swaying dog on the dashboard.