What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Last Week

Bench
What exactly is a "LED curtain"?

Is it an actual curtain or just effectively shutting off the lights in the upper tiers?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I imagine would be a physical curtain that is lowered to block the upper bowl. The "LED" thing specifically probably references a light show against these backdrops.

(you can see in the photo that there is the home team banner, that is probably a light projection)

t-ba

Post Whore
The Vancouver whitecaps of Major League soccer cover the top tier of BC Place with some kind of sails. These cover the second tier which I think only gets opened up for BC Lions games in the Canadian Football league. I assume it would come a fair bit cheaper than an LED show and it actually looks pretty good. Maybe the advertising that can be beamed from thosse LED lights will cover those costs.

bcplace1.jpg

Last Week

Bench
It would look pretty bad for the government to give an organisation any funding when that organisation is half owned by News Corp.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It would look pretty bad for the government to give an organisation any funding when that organisation is half owned by News Corp.

Its not "giving the Cowboys money". The government is investing in local infrastructure which the club then rents out.

A hundred million dollar investment in local jobs always looks good.

DiegoNT

First Grade
A small stadium in darwin is being considered. cant post link but would be good to see something happening there.

Think they are planning a redevelopment of Richardson park, the traditional home of nt rugby league. It's not in best location and will still be just for local fixtures, any nrl game played in darwin will be at marrara stadium

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Think they are planning a redevelopment of Richardson park, the traditional home of nt rugby league. It's not in best location and will still be just for local fixtures, any nrl game played in darwin will be at marrara stadium

yes thats it. its on ABC news online

Northern Territory Labor has released its alternative plan for a revamped home for rugby league, but the head of NTRL (Northern Territory Rugby League) says they still support the Government's more expensive Richardson Park proposal.
Labor Leader Michael Gunner said it supported the Ludmilla Primary School Council's call to halt the tender process to expand and upgrade the Richardson Park grounds, which would require land from the school.
Mr Gunner said based on the available evidence, and the NTRL's original submission, it supported a relocation of NTRL from Richardson Park to Warren Park at Marrara sporting complex.
He said that due to the existing infrastructure at Marrara, a 1,500-seat stadium could be erected for $16.5 million, as opposed to the CLP's $20 million Richardson Park proposal which would seat 11,000.
"We support the decision to invest $20 million in league having a new home; we just believe after talking with people and looking at the evidence that the new home should be at Warren Park, Marrara not Richardson Park," Mr Gunner said.
"Richardson Park has not been played on for two years, it has only one road entrance, limited parking, a limited buffer zone and the only way to have two ovals - which is a minimum requirement of professional level games - is to take away valuable oval space from Ludmilla Primary [School]."

Grounds at Marrara 'earmarked for new tennis centre'

Sports Minister Gary Higgins said the grounds at Marrara were not actually available.
"I know people have pointed out there's a whole stack of vacant land there, that's been earmarked for the new tennis centre, which has been proposed," he said.
"The other issue is that the Warren Park is owned by South Darwin Football Club. It is not government land."
John Mitchell, general manager of NTRL, said they were "very happy" with the Government's plan to upgrade Richardson Park
"We're in a position where we're going to get an NRL-standard facility at Richardson Park - the home of rugby league in the NT for the last 50 to 60 years, we're very pleased with that," Mr Mitchell said.
"We're even hoping that the NRL fixture next year might be in August, and that we would actually play our finals series back at Richardson Park in late August or September."
Mr Mitchell said he believed a mutually-beneficial agreement could be reached with the Department of Education and Ludmilla Primary School, and that space-related issues such as parking could be resolved over time.
Mr Gunner said he had informed the NTRL of Labor's position.

Last edited:

RWB

Bench
Shorten promising funding if he gets elected is like Parra promising to contribute to the Parra Stadium upgrade if they win the premiership.

Buckleys!

BlueandGold

Juniors
Shorten promising funding if he gets elected is like Parra promising to contribute to the Parra Stadium upgrade if they win the premiership.

Buckleys!

Yeah like the roosters spending some money on Jnr RL development to bring out the champions of tomorrow.

Buckleys of that happening....:lol::lol:

Last Week

Bench
Its not "giving the Cowboys money". The government is investing in local infrastructure which the club then rents out.

A hundred million dollar investment in local jobs always looks good.

I never said that. I was responding to you saying this.

I dont blame pollies on either side for not giving the NRL a thought...

For a decade, Gallop did NOTHING to foster relationships or promote the benefits of investment in the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I never said that. I was responding to you saying this.

Yeh, i had a hunch that i was misreading your comment. i didnt quite fit....

Honestly though, it was a myth that being half owned by NewsLtd prevented funding. At the junior levels, RL was still run by the ARL (a non-for-profit), and at the senior levels, the funding would have gone towards community infrastructure that would then be RENTED by the NRL.

Really, it was just Gallops half-assed approach to growing the game that kept government funding so low. Pollies need to be sold on the benefits of these investments, and Gallop just didnt bother putting anyone in their ears.

DSmith has set up a lobbying group, and (though it will never get the recognision it deserves) this will advance the games relationship with Canberra,etc donkeys years...