What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

We may know soon(1.30pm Press conference)

Maybe this...?

Late 2016-Construction of Parramatta Stadium
Late 2017-Redevelopment of ANZ Stadium
2018 -GF at Sydney Football Stadium
2019 -Opening of the New Parramatta Stadium
2019-GF at Sydney Football Stadium
2020-Opening of the New Homebush Stadium
2020-Redevelopment begins at SFS(Stage 1)
2020-GF at the New Homebush Stadium
2022 -Redevelopment begins at SFS (Stage 2)
2024 -Completion of the SFS Redevelopment.

Probably close but I think parra might be done a bit earlier than 2019.

WSW might get first use late 2018.

I'd also like to see the Grand Final go on the road , good opportunity for it. NSW govt would probably object though.

JonnoM

Juniors
There is no way the NSW Govt will throw up $1.6Bill without any firm guarrantee from the NRL on the GF.
The NRL have the most to gain out of all the codes for this gift.
The GF is staying in Sydney

cleary89

Coach
so nsw Gov is going to spend 700m+ to move people 5m close to the field.. the top seats will still be far away lol. just burn down azn staduim and build new rectangular stadium. NRL & NSW Gov spinkling glitter on shit

I 100% agreed with you and was even arguing for it in this thread a couple of days ago... until I saw the new design. It pretty much is knocking it down and starting again bar the roof.

Honestly, looks f**king awesome. Exciting teams to be a league fan. Will the be showing the announcement anywhere? Hopefully all goes according to plan.

Timbo

Staff member
There is no way the NSW Govt will throw up $1.6Bill without any firm guarrantee from the NRL on the GF.
The NRL have the most to gain out of all the codes for this gift.
The GF is staying in Sydney

I seem to recall a couple of years ago that the government paid a fair whack of money to keep the grand final in Sydney for the medium-term. But that was with an 80,000 seat ANZ stadium to play it at.

I will be genuinely surprised if it isn't played in Melbourne during the re-build. Queensland hamstrung itself when Suncorp was re-built at 52k.

The best city in the world deserves the best stadiums in the world.

We are fast-tracking the major conversion of ANZ Stadium in Homebush into a world class rectangular football stadium.

We have already committed to a new 30,000 seat stadium at Parramatta and this will be built during this term of government. Wanderers and Eels fans should get excited.

And, during our next term of government, we will also begin a refurbishment of Allianz Stadium.

There is also a $40 million package to be invested in NRL suburban facilities in NSW.

Through this process, we’ve been determined to make sure the economics stack up. We have secured content agreements with the various codes including 20 years of NRL Grand Finals and State of Origin matches, 10 years of the Bledisloe Cup, and 12 years of marquee soccer events including Socceroos matches through an in-principle agreement with the FFA.

This will be a massive boost for the visitor economy for decades to come, generating jobs and further investment in NSW.

This $1.6 billion stadium investment is part of our broader vision to rebuild NSW. Over the next 4 years we are spending over $68 billion on building the hospitals, schools, roads and rail that the state needs and deserves.

It’s a great day for the codes. It’s a great day for the clubs. It’s a great day for the fans.

From Baird's Facebook

cleary89

Coach
New era for NRL fans

Thu 14 Apr, 2016, 1:50pm
Media Release
Tweet EMAIL PRINT
New era for NRL fans
ANZ will be transformed into a 70,000 seat rectangular stadium putting fans close to the action. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.
NRL fans will secure the best stadium facilities in the game’s history under the $1.6 billion package approved by the NSW Government today.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the investment in rectangular facilities at Sydney Olympic Park, Parramatta and Moore Park was a landmark result for Rugby League in NSW.

It means there will be three world class Rugby League stadia in Sydney – two in Sydney’s western suburbs and one in Sydney’s traditional sporting hub at Moore Park.

Under the package, announced by the Premier, Mr Baird:

• A new 30,000 seat stadium will be built at Parramatta with construction to begin at the end of the current NRL season

• ANZ will be transformed into a 70,000 seat rectangular stadium putting fans close to the action. Construction will begin as soon as possible.

• Allianz Stadium will be upgraded to give fans better facilities

Mr Greenberg said the deal would also deliver $40 million for new centres of excellence for NRL clubs in NSW. The funds will be distributed on a “dollar for dollar” basis to clubs wanting to build Centres of Excellence.

"This is an historic day for Rugby League… one which will give our fans the comfort and facilities they deserve," Mr Greenberg said.

"Our aim was to ensure that Rugby League benefited from any allocation of stadium funding – and this package delivers that outcome."

Mr Greenberg said that, as part of the agreement, the NRL had committed to staging the Grand Final in Sydney for a further 20 year period, starting when the ANZ transformation is completed.

He said the new agreement meant that all existing arrangements within the network will continue with an expectation of additional games over time.

http://www.nrl.com/new-era-for-nrl-fans/tabid/10874/newsid/94838/default.aspx

Media release says that subject to finalisation of negotiations to buy out the remainder of the lease construction at ANZ to start in this term of parliament i.e. before March 2019.

Timbo

Staff member
So the NRL GF is locked in for 20 years after the transformation.

Still no information as to how many seasons it will be out of commission for during the transformation, or where it may be played during this time.

What about Souths and the Dogs? Allianz and a Belmore/Pirtek split?

Also, are the Eels playing at ANZ next season during the Pirtek rebuild?

ek999

First Grade
I would be willing to be it will be a staged redevelopment and it will never be out of action completely but will operate at a reduced capacity like the MCG was for a few years

Anyway bloody great news , all round this is easily a huge win for the NRL.

No more compromised stadium for oval sports

Wet weather protection for fans at the two major grounds

More money going into the major sport in Sydney.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Not often the game gets a win like this, so well do e to the clubs for not giving in to the moore park agenda. Hopefuply we see a common sense allocation of games and lets hope those using suburban grounds can find the right balance.

Really the only outstanding issue in Sydney is brookvale. Is there no way that peivate money could be found in conjunction with manly and the NRL contributing to upgrading brooky and taling ownership or finding another venue in the region to rennovate?

The NRL should now be focusing on lobbying in the ACT and townsville for decent rectangular stadia!

adamkungl

Immortal
Not often the game gets a win like this, so well do e to the clubs for not giving in to the moore park agenda. Hopefuply we see a common sense allocation of games and lets hope those using suburban grounds can find the right balance.

Really the only outstanding issue in Sydney is brookvale. Is there no way that peivate money could be found in conjunction with manly and the NRL contributing to upgrading brooky and taling ownership or finding another venue in the region to rennovate?

The NRL should now be focusing on lobbying in the ACT and townsville for decent rectangular stadia!

It's purely a Manly problem.

I think it's unlikely Brookvale will ever not be the worst ground in the NRL. The political will t fund it isn't there.

Is the NRL (or anyone) gonna give a shit if Manly are forced to reconsider their future there? No. If Manly are forced to move up the Central Coast it will be a convenience for the NRL.

Note I am not saying they should be forced by anyone - i believe existing clubs should have the autonomy to make their own decisions. BUT one day in the near future I think Manly will have to make a hard call on Brookvale, especially if the council keeps shafting them while giving nothing back.

Timbo

Staff member

Not going to happen until the Mr. Fluffy asbestos cleanup is done and dusted. That's where the money that was allocated for our new stadium went.

cleary89

Coach
It's purely a Manly problem.

I think it's unlikely Brookvale will ever not be the worst ground in the NRL. The political will t fund it isn't there.

Is the NRL (or anyone) gonna give a shit if Manly are forced to reconsider their future there? No. If Manly are forced to move up the Central Coast it will be a convenience for the NRL.

Note I am not saying they should be forced by anyone - i believe existing clubs should have the autonomy to make their own decisions. BUT one day in the near future I think Manly will have to make a hard call on Brookvale, especially if the council keeps shafting them while giving nothing back.

+1. Up to Manly to do something about it. Just like Cronulla did.

bazza

Immortal
We may know soon(1.30pm Press conference)

Maybe this...?

Late 2016-Construction of Parramatta Stadium
Late 2017-Redevelopment of ANZ Stadium
2018 -GF at Sydney Football Stadium
2019 -Opening of the New Parramatta Stadium
2019-GF at Sydney Football Stadium
2020-Opening of the New Homebush Stadium
2020-Redevelopment begins at SFS(Stage 1)
2020-GF at the New Homebush Stadium
2022 -Redevelopment begins at SFS (Stage 2)
2024 -Completion of the SFS Redevelopment.

If all goes well, re-opening of Homebush could coincide with completion of Parramatta to Stathfield light rail project

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/parramatta-light-rail

Brutus

Referee
Great news. Something needs to be done about Brookie though. There needs to be a decent stadium north of the harbour. If they can't sort it out then Manly should just move to the Central Coast fulltime.