What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

And yet people on here want Sydney clubs to use big centralised stadium and not their traditional homes lol

locking out so many people is stupid

it’s bad for rugby league more people can’t watch who want too

Trying to milk an extra 5k seats (that may or may not be filled each round) of revenue is short sighted. That may cater to the bandwagon-eers who are all onboard now, but that group will bugger off the moment things get tough, as they have in the past.

If the club (and code) want to build sustained interest here to the extent they get 20k+ every round regardless of how the team is tracking, that starts with fan and community engagement. By looking after a fanbase that only got 4 home games in 3 years during covid, the club is showing they're committed to that. It's the smarter long term play.

Wb1234

Referee
Trying to milk an extra 5k seats (that may or may not be filled each round) of revenue is short sighted. That may cater to the bandwagon-eers who are all onboard now, but that group will bugger off the moment things get tough, as they have in the past.

If the club (and code) want to build sustained interest here to the extent they get 20k+ every round regardless of how the team is tracking, that starts with fan and community engagement. By looking after a fanbase that only got 4 home games in 3 years during covid, the club is showing they're committed to that. It's the smarter long term play.
Grows the fan base

Calling someone a bandwagoner just because they started following them won’t grow the sport either

Grows the fan base

Calling someone a bandwagoner just because they started following them won’t grow the sport either
Probably not helpful no... perhaps I should've said "new fans with yet to be rusted on attention spans".

But my description of the behaviour isn't wrong. If the Warriors start to slip, so too will the crowd numbers as has always been. The 'growth' we're seeing now isn't permanent. Yet.

Wb1234

Referee
Probably not helpful no... perhaps I should've said "new fans with yet to be rusted on attention spans".

But my description of the behaviour isn't wrong. If the Warriors start to slip, so too will the crowd numbers as has always been. The 'growth' we're seeing now isn't permanent. Yet.
Nobody knows if the growth will drop off or not

Nobody knows if the growth will drop off or not
Depends how you measure growth. Crowd numbers is one proxy - and the one everyone is focusing on right now - and the pattern there is clear.

Until last year the only time the Warriors had made the finals over the last decade was 2018 and the average crowd at Mt Smart that season was more than 18k. But the following year when they missed the finals, the average crowd dropped to less than 14k.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Depends how you measure growth. Crowd numbers is one proxy - and the one everyone is focusing on right now - and the pattern there is clear.

Until last year the only time the Warriors had made the finals over the last decade was 2018 and the average crowd at Mt Smart that season was more than 18k. But the following year when they missed the finals, the average crowd dropped to less than 14k.
Pretty much every club (except Newcastle) has a 20% plus change in attendance based on form. Hopefully though the bigger your crowd in good times the more people become rusted on and stick so the lower crowds in bad times arent as low.

Wb1234

Referee

Games selling out weeks or days in advance kinda says they need more capacity

clearly super rugby crowds have collapsed and those people want to try league more

warriors have had one good year and they are selling out regularly

what happens if that form sustains

clearly they will make the top 6 this year

Games selling out weeks or days in advance kinda says they need more capacity

clearly super rugby crowds have collapsed and those people want to try league more

warriors have had one good year and they are selling out regularly

what happens if that form sustains

clearly they will make the top 6 this year
If it sustains, I go back to what I said earlier... I'm sure the club will look at their options. I never said they should never be open to a new approach. Only that for now, I think they're making good decisions.

Given what the core fanbase has put up with over the years, its heartening to see the club keeping them front and center during the current good times.

jim_57

Staff member
Other point re the fanzone is it gets well utilised whether there’s 12K people in the ground or 24K, It should be one of the last things you’d look at moving to make way for seats that might only get used at the biggest games.

I think a couple elevated temp stands North end either side of the scoreboard behind the fanzone would be the perfect solution. Bonus points if a permanent south stand is built with a roof.

Plus maybe a big game at Eden park once the Warriors bar is up and running.

Wb1234

Referee
If it sustains, I go back to what I said earlier... I'm sure the club will look at their options. I never said they should never be open to a new approach. Only that for now, I think they're making good decisions.

Given what the core fanbase has put up with over the years, its heartening to see the club keeping them front and center during the current good times.
Club needs to look forward not backward

IF and it’s a big if they finish top two this season then eden park has to be used for late season games

we could easily see crowds of 40k plus in the run in to the finals

Wb1234

Referee

Perth Red

Post Whore
If only English rugby league hasn’t killed off the hopes of the proposed New York team along with ottowa
Theres nothing stopping them applying for L1 and earning their place in SL.
They applied in 2017, RFL offered them a place in L1 in 2019, covid got in way and they were then offered a place in CC for 2021 and L1 for 2022. They backed out. Facts really arent your strong point.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bit late now

they had already applied and had been approved to join
and THEY backed out. The offer was on the table. How's that English RL's fault?
If they applied again theyd probably get in again. Instead they have lowered their ambitions and applied to join the NARL.

Ironically theres no better time for any team to join English RL now if they have SL ambitions. The grading system is in and they dont have to rely on just winning games. Have a strong financial business, have a fanbase and have a stadium and you can get in SL without winning any titles.

siv

First Grade
Everyone knows the plan

Venues NSW has other ideas
Sydney Stadium Rationalisation Plan

Panthers

12 home games @ New 25k-30k Penrith Stadium
(must play against Eels, Bulldogs & Tigers)

Eels
12 home games @ Parramatta (must play against Panthers, Bulldogs & Tigers)

Sea Eagles
9-12 home games @ Brookvale - build a new stadium yourself, you povo ba****ds
If Reducing Brookvale games down to 9 then make Gosford a second base:
3 home games @ Gosford (vs Knights and 2 others)
3 away games @ Gosford
Sell a 6 games Gosford membership package

Roosters
10 home games @ SFS (must play against Rabbitohs, Dragons & Tigers)
3 away games @ SFS (vs Rabbitohs, Dragons & Tigers)
Sell a 13 games SFS membership package
2 home games – elsewhere outside of NSW in future expansion areas

Rabbitohs
10 home games @ SFS (must play against Roosters, Dragons & Tigers)
3 away games @ SFS (vs Roosters, Dragons & Tigers)
Sell a 13 games SFS membership package
2 home games – elsewhere outside of NSW in future expansion areas

Bulldogs
12 home games @ New 25k-30k Liverpool Stadium
(must play against Eels, Panthers & Tigers)

Tigers
8 home games @ New 25k-30k Liverpool Stadium
(must play against Eels, Panthers & Bulldogs)
4 home games @ SFS (vs Roosters, Rabbitohs & Dragons & 1 other)
3 away games @ SFS (vs Roosters, Rabbitohs & Dragons)
Sell 8 game Liverpool & 7 game SFS membership packages

Dragons
8 home games @ New 25k-30k Wollongong Stadium
4 home games @ SFS (vs Tigers, Rabbitohs & Roosters & 1 other)
3 away games @ SFS (vs Tigers, Rabbitohs & Roosters)
Sell 8 game Wollongong & 7 game SFS membership packages

Sharks
9-12 home games @ Sutherland - build a new stadium yourself, you rich ba****ds
If Reducing Sutherland games down to 9 then make Gosford a second base:
3 home games @ Gosford (vs Knights and 2 others)
3 away games @ Gosford

Edit: So in this scenario we go from 9 Sydney stadiums to 6. More Sydney derby games at centralised grounds, which will boost overall attendances. Merged club fans get around 7 to 8 home games in their nearby area. Plus Wollongong & Gosford also increase their number of games. Sydney clubs can also drop from 12 to 11 home games and take a game on the road to an expansion market. If Penrith wants to give up a game and play in Bathurst, or Bulldogs want to keep the Belmore game and play 11 at Liverpool, so be it. There's flexibility to do that.

Theres nothing stopping them applying for L1 and earning their place in SL.
They applied in 2017, RFL offered them a place in L1 in 2019, covid got in way and they were then offered a place in CC for 2021 and L1 for 2022. They backed out. Facts really arent your strong point.
Why would any North American club want to field a team in the RFL after the way the Wolfpack were treated?

You're always whinging about people driving around Australia with "F**k Off We're Full" stickers on their bumpers, yet that's what the RFL and its clubs said to the Wolfpack.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would any North American club want to field a team in the RFL after the way the Wolfpack were treated?

You're always whinging about people driving around Australia with "F**k Off We're Full" stickers on their bumpers, yet that's what the RFL and its clubs said to the Wolfpack.
I'm sure the wolfpack reneging on their promises, failing to submit a business plan and not paying their players had nothing to do with the decision lol

The fact is NY were offered admission to L1 for 2022 and backed out of it. That was their decision not the RFL's.

Wb1234

Referee
and THEY backed out. The offer was on the table. How's that English RL's fault?
If they applied again theyd probably get in again. Instead they have lowered their ambitions and applied to join the NARL.

Ironically theres no better time for any team to join English RL now if they have SL ambitions. The grading system is in and they dont have to rely on just winning games. Have a strong financial business, have a fanbase and have a stadium and you can get in SL without winning any titles.
Super league boss Robert elstone told Toronto the city of Toronto offered nothing to super league commercially

Latest posts