What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

cinders7

Juniors
Nope, nor will they until Perth gets a sports club that needs a rectangular stadium with a bigger capacity than 20,500. They could extend the shed for a relatively small amount and add another 2k or so to the terracing cheaply.

The west stand would cost $150mill plus going off Penrith stadium costs, they wont do that until its needed and at the moment neither the Glory or Force need it.

Personally Id rather they handed it back to council for development and built a new 30k stadium at Burswood on this land but thats highly unlikely in the current cost of living climate.

View attachment 87459
I do wonder about the best way forward for Perth, upgrade Perth Oval or share the greenfield site at Burswood with a larger stadium. Always interested in a local opinion.

The AFL managed to have two new stadiums built for the Suns and Giants, I'd hope that the NRL would be able to negotiate something decent for the Perth club.
We all saw how much the new stadium helped Melbourne, and I doubt the WA gov would want to help start a new club only to have them struggle for casual and corporate support.

Bukowski

Juniors
I do wonder about the best way forward for Perth, upgrade Perth Oval or share the greenfield site at Burswood with a larger stadium. Always interested in a local opinion.

The AFL managed to have two new stadiums built for the Suns and Giants, I'd hope that the NRL would be able to negotiate something decent for the Perth club.
We all saw how much the new stadium helped Melbourne, and I doubt the WA gov would want to help start a new club only to have them struggle for casual and corporate support.
A new western stand at HBF would be needed for corporates and bring capacity to 25k. That's the best way forward and most likely.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I think the ship has sailed on a new stadium sadly. They have spent close to $150mill on HBF and its hard to see the Govt walking away from that investment. Also finishing HBF will probably cost around $250mill. Building a brand new one at Burswood probably nearer $700mill with todays crazy construction costs. They can afford it but I doubt they would have the appetite for it.

Real shame, if they'd hung off upgrading HBF a few years they could had a new rectangular stadium incorporated into the Burswood project. Given how much they spent on transport links and creating a parkland precinct there it would have been the smart thing to do. Such is short sighted Govt's..

If the WA Govt supports HBF finishing that will be awesome for a new club and set it up well. Now's the time for the NRL to be hitting them up with that demand after we've had a few years of multi billion $ surpluses.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A new western stand at HBF would be needed for corporates and bring capacity to 25k. That's the best way forward and most likely.
that and extend and redo the shed. You could add another 2k terracing places there easily and cheaply. Gets it up to 27k which would be ideal for NRL.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It all means nothing without firm plans from the WA Government. Do they even have a plan, commitment, anything?

The attitude of AFL states is ‘they can just play bigger games at shitty ovals’. No need to upgrade deliver proper football stadiums.

So right now we vague statements from know-nothing fans that maybe they will upgrade HBF if they get a team. As if that provides the upper negotiating hand.

In the meantime, not wise to flaunt a ground that will negatively affect a key metric in average crowd as if it is something special.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It all means nothing without firm plans from the WA Government. Do they even have a plan, commitment, anything?

The attitude of AFL states is ‘they can just play bigger games at shitty ovals’. No need to upgrade deliver proper football stadiums.

So right now we vague statements from know-nothing fans that maybe they will upgrade HBF if they get a team. As if that provides the upper negotiating hand.

In the meantime, not wise to flaunt a ground that will negatively affect a key metric in average crowd as if it is something special.
Like I said they arent going to upgrade it on a hope. In fact that is exactly what they did in 2012 and look where that got them. I was in the room when Grant told them there would be no NRL team, after spending $120mill getting the stadium ready I can tell you the Govt bods in the room where mighty pssed, some of the questions they fired at him were gold!

If the NRl had any sense, and any real goal, to have an NRl team West of Penrith they would have already got this mapped out and that demand would be sat on the Premiers desk waiting sign off. We shall have to see if that has happened or even if the NRL wants a team in Perth before we hear anything about the stadium.

If the NRl cared about stadiums Dolphins wouldnt be playing at Redcliffe, PNG with their 15k capacity wouldn't be getting a look in and half the sydney teams wouldnt be playing in dumps!

ps accor is a real shtty oval, hasnt stopped rectangular sports being played there has it?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Perth is full of millionaires apparently, they can pitch in to build a stadium for a team AFL Red won't be watching.

kurt faulk

Coach
Scum Park looks like a lovely place to play kids football. Hard to believe it hosts nrl games. How the hell did they manage to get a spot in the league? Oh yeah, they back stabbed the people that had kept them afloat since their pitiful existence began and made a deal with the devil (news corp).

f**k you scum.