What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Diesel

Referee
Talk of the LA games in 2028 is using Sofi Stadium as a swimming venue, building a temporary pool on the field and if that could work for Brisbane. Obviously swimming is one of the most popular events, so another argument towards upgrading Suncorp for the games be it for swimming or soccer. On the same day the Gabba gets announced for a small upgrade.

yakstorm

First Grade
Does anyone see the irony in Perth Rectangular Stadium being only slightly better than Shark Park?

View attachment 87472View attachment 87473
Clearly you're just trolling at the moment. PRS has a capacity of 20,500 versus the Shark Parks 17,500 (which is 13,500 at the moment). PRS has over 18,000 seats, versus 11,000 at Shark Park. Only 4,000 seats at Shark Park are under cover, whilst it's closer to 12,000 have cover at PRS, there is double the number of screens, more corporate hospitality, etc.

PRS can also support temporary seating, which was added for the Women's World Cup as part of the $32m investment the government put into the facility just last year.

It's no Commbank, AAMI Park, Allianz, Suncorp, McDonald Jones or QCB Stadium, but it's superior venue than the likes of Leichhardt, Campbelltown, Brookvale, Shark Park, Penrith (before the rebuild), Kayo or WIN Stadium.

Clearly you're just trolling at the moment. PRS has a capacity of 20,500 versus the Shark Parks 17,500 (which is 13,500 at the moment). PRS has over 18,000 seats, versus 11,000 at Shark Park. Only 4,000 seats at Shark Park are under cover, whilst it's closer to 12,000 have cover at PRS, there is double the number of screens, more corporate hospitality, etc.

PRS can also support temporary seating, which was added for the Women's World Cup as part of the $32m investment the government put into the facility just last year.

It's no Commbank, AAMI Park, Allianz, Suncorp, McDonald Jones or QCB Stadium, but it's superior venue than the likes of Leichhardt, Campbelltown, Brookvale, Shark Park, Penrith (before the rebuild), Kayo or WIN Stadium.
I did say PRS is better than Shark Park. That's not up for debate. What I find astonishing is the best rectangular stadium in Western Australia isn't much better than a privately owned ground in Southern Sydney. 20,500 vs 17,500 is only a difference of 3,000.

If PRS is the best Western Australia can offer then it's not worthy of an NRL team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The best that Perth can do is be better than Shark Park?
It’s better than
shark park
LO
brookvale
win
kogorah
penrith (current)
dolphin park
and for club games accor

so better than eight current nrl stadiums. And that’s half finished and before next phase of upgrades lol.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The Perth stadum is also better than Tamworth, Mudgee, Coffs Harbour, Sunshine Coast and a range of suburban and regional stadiums around Australia where the NRL is played.

But does Perth - a supposed prominent capital city - measure themselves against the suburbs and regions? That's pretty sad and certainly a low bar. It may be fine, does the job etc. Hey we can even put in temporary seating, whacko!

But it's just not that impressive and no amount of posted photos in this thread changes that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Perth stadum is also better than Tamworth, Mudgee, Coffs Harbour, Sunshine Coast and a range of suburban and regional stadiums around Australia where the NRL is played.

But does Perth - a supposed prominent capital city - measure themselves against the suburbs and regions? That's pretty sad and certainly a low bar. It may be fine, does the job etc. Hey we can even put in temporary seating, whacko!

But it's just not that impressive and no amount of posted photos in this thread changes that.
I only listed stadiums that host regular NRL games. PRS is middle of the road as far as stadiums go. Its nowhere near the new ones and nowhere near as bad as the old ones. Hopefully it gets further upgrades in the future as part of the introduction of Perth to the NRL.

We're not measuring against anything other than the topic at hand, which is future NRL stadiums. Without an NRL club PRS is perfectly adequate for the teams that use it. For a future Perth NRL club its just adequate and would benefit from further upgrades.

The biggest issues from an NRl club perspective are it needs around 5k more capacity, more cover over the seating and better corporate facilities. A new West stand, a roof over the south stand and an extended shed solves all its issues.

But even as is when its got 15k+ in it its rocking and the atmosphere and view is great, two of the things fans want the most.

hbf crowd2.jpg

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
Talk of the LA games in 2028 is using Sofi Stadium as a swimming venue, building a temporary pool on the field and if that could work for Brisbane. Obviously swimming is one of the most popular events, so another argument towards upgrading Suncorp for the games be it for swimming or soccer. On the same day the Gabba gets announced for a small upgrade.
Sure, they are going to put a swimming pool at Suncorp in the middle of the NRL season. I guess they can just put it on top of the grass? I know my grass always look terrific underneath where I have my temporary backyard pool. Interesting to know your thoughts on how this may work. Tell us more.

18 a side. No off side. And lots of fumbles. He’d be in heaven.

You'd have to add an extra coloured line on the 10 m line at each end. If the attacking team grounds the ball in the area bounded by it and the respective goal line, they get 1 point :p

MugaB

Coach
I do wonder about the best way forward for Perth, upgrade Perth Oval or share the greenfield site at Burswood with a larger stadium. Always interested in a local opinion.

The AFL managed to have two new stadiums built for the Suns and Giants, I'd hope that the NRL would be able to negotiate something decent for the Perth club.
We all saw how much the new stadium helped Melbourne, and I doubt the WA gov would want to help start a new club only to have them struggle for casual and corporate support.
I don't think nrl will do anything to be honest, I mean they haven't even received any bidders for perth, why would they look to upgrade facilities they won't be even using, they currently use optus for double headers and origin and there is no nrl license in WA to push for a stadium upgrade..
He'll they aren't really doing much for Newcastle Wollongong or Canberra and they are well within reach of most of the teams, let alone Perth across the other side of the continent with zero teams there