What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach
What is game day like in March?
Rd 2 this year was humid but nothing on Rd1 last year (raiders game) and the opening night in 2020.

Rd 1 last year a few raiders were spewing when they were coming off the field to get replaced in the 2nd half. The afternoon breeze generally comes in from the ocean which is on the north side of the stadium so if you block this ability with a 2nd tier on the north end it would get even worse.

Opening night in 2020was probably the shittest game for humidity I have ever experienced. Up there with 2015 rd 1 Broncos v Rabbitohs at Suncorp. @SLRBRONCOS will attest to that Suncorp game.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Rd 2 this year was humid but nothing on Rd1 last year (raiders game) and the opening night in 2020.

Rd 1 last year a few raiders were spewing when they were coming off the field to get replaced in the 2nd half. The afternoon breeze generally comes in from the ocean which is on the north side of the stadium so if you block this ability with a 2nd tier on the north end it would get even worse.

Opening night in 2020was probably the shittest game for humidity I have ever experienced. Up there with 2015 rd 1 Broncos v Rabbitohs at Suncorp. @SLRBRONCOS will attest to that Suncorp game.

YES!!! My mates and I still talk about that round 1 2015 game. Only time ever that I've thrown bottles of water all over myself at a game. I remember heaps of kids crying and parents leaving early with them too. Just totally oppressive.

Absolutely LOVE the winter games down here because of what we are used to with March and April, and you in March, April, May/ forever. Give me a down jacket and a beanie any day!!

A 2pm game on a Sunday against the Warriors in March 2010 was a close second for me. That night Alfie was dancing in his undies at the Normanby - fair enough, the grog went straight to his head.

beave

Coach
YES!!! My mates and I still talk about that round 1 2015 game. Only time ever that I've thrown bottles of water all over myself at a game. I remember heaps of kids crying and parents leaving early with them too. Just totally oppressive.

Absolutely LOVE the winter games down here because of what we are used to with March and April, and you in March, April, May/ forever. Give me a down jacket and a beanie any day!!

A 2pm game on a Sunday against the Warriors in March 2010 was a close second for me. That night Alfie was dancing in his undies at the Normanby - fair enough, the grog went straight to his head.
Opening night at QCB 2020, Rd 1 2015 Suncorp and the week 2 finals game 2007 in Tvl vs the Warriors are my top 3 "hot ass" games.

2007 for some stupid reason the NRL decides to schedule a mid September game on a sunday at 4pm in Tvl.......... The only people that had shade out of the 25k in attendance was the 2-3k sitting in the western stand.....

Queensland is a write off for out door sport between October and April. It's just too humid. Cricket crowds will never be big up here because of the heat. Queensland doesn't need an oval larger than 35k.

The only option to get around this is for the Queensland teams to start the season with most of their games in NSW and New Zealand.

Opening night at QCB 2020, Rd 1 2015 Suncorp and the week 2 finals game 2007 in Tvl vs the Warriors are my top 3 "hot ass" games.

2007 for some stupid reason the NRL decides to schedule a mid September game on a sunday at 4pm in Tvl.......... The only people that had shade out of the 25k in attendance was the 2-3k sitting in the western stand.....
Was that the semi vs the Warriors where the Cowboys played in their alternative jersey?

Jason Smith's last game.

yakstorm

First Grade
I was working at the NRL at the time, it was all Channel 9 that prevented the switch. They wanted Eels v Bulldogs on the Saturday night to go head-to-head with the AFL (North Melbourne v Hawthorne I think).

The strained relationship between 9 & WIN at the time, plus OzTAMs focus on just capital cities meant Nine was never going to put it in a prime spot.

The Great Dane

First Grade
you really think the raiders could move?

geez.
I hope not, but it'd be foolish not to have something prepared just in case at this point. Put it this way; they'd already be headed for the exit if they were an American franchise.

People really don't understand just how bad things are getting down here and odds are that things are going to keep getting worse for the foreseeable future.

MugaB

Coach
I was working at the NRL at the time, it was all Channel 9 that prevented the switch. They wanted Eels v Bulldogs on the Saturday night to go head-to-head with the AFL (North Melbourne v Hawthorne I think).

The strained relationship between 9 & WIN at the time, plus OzTAMs focus on just capital cities meant Nine was never going to put it in a prime spot.
This is where the NRL and players association need to step in and tell nine to shove it, certain clubs need to have certain timeslots on certain days, I mentioned this before a few posts ago, not only for health and safety reasons for both crowds and players during certian conditions.
*Townsville should always be playing a night game, preferably Saturday night = cooler in the humidity (also for crowds vast travel reasons too)
*Canberra needs early sunday game, most day game possible, as it colder there
* Warriors early Friday night for timezone reasons
Mainly the first two need to happen, but warriors can shift day by day as long as its not the later game

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Queensland is a write off for out door sport between October and April. It's just too humid. Cricket crowds will never be big up here because of the heat. Queensland doesn't need an oval larger than 35k.

The only option to get around this is for the Queensland teams to start the season with most of their games in NSW and New Zealand.
I never understood why Storm play away games when the AFL hasn’t started, why games are played (usually the Titans) at home on a Sunday arvo for the first few rounds, why Queensland games have to start earlier when they don’t have DLS (that’s another discussion) or by NQ play at home during cyclone season. Then I realise it’s f**king 9 and the draw put together overseas by non-RL people

MugaB

Coach
I never understood why Storm play away games when the AFL hasn’t started, why games are played (usually the Titans) at home on a Sunday arvo for the first few rounds, why Queensland games have to start earlier when they don’t have DLS (that’s another discussion) or by NQ play at home during cyclone season. Then I realise it’s f**king 9 and the draw put together overseas by non-RL people
The draw could be done better lf we just had conferences brought in already, then you wouldn't care who vs who, just need to specify the when for the broadcasters, like I said before as long as cowboys, Raiders, and warriors lock down those home game slots the other games can shift around the rest of the draw without too much issue, besides those are generally the slots no one really wants as they aren't prime time anyways= 6pm Fri, 730 sat, 2pm sun

Wb1234

Referee
This is where the NRL and players association need to step in and tell nine to shove it, certain clubs need to have certain timeslots on certain days, I mentioned this before a few posts ago, not only for health and safety reasons for both crowds and players during certian conditions.
*Townsville should always be playing a night game, preferably Saturday night = cooler in the humidity (also for crowds vast travel reasons too)
Mainly the first two need to happen, but warriors can shift day by day as long as its not the later game
Or Sunday midday warriors

Diesel

Referee
The only problem with Warriors at 8pm Friday, is there are fans that drive to the games that live hours away, Hamilton, Tauranga, Rotorua & north of Auckland would have many fans that would just come for the game, much the same as Cowboys draw from other areas. 2pm Auckland time on a Sunday would be handy when we get to 18/20 teams

MugaB

Coach
The only problem with Warriors at 8pm Friday, is there are fans that drive to the games that live hours away, Hamilton, Tauranga, Rotorua & north of Auckland would have many fans that would just come for the game, much the same as Cowboys draw from other areas. 2pm Auckland time on a Sunday would be handy when we get to 18/20 teams
Which is why the 6pm Friday slot should be theirs, and a possibility of a 2nd nz team down the line could share that slot week to week on the alternate
(Unless they verse each other, even then they are still in that slot)
2pm SundayNz time can work too, it mainly just the late night games

Theknightsrule7

Juniors
Warriors should absolutely play more 2pm local games. Then maybe 10 times in the year have 2 2pm Sunday games.

Thursday night games need to be limited. In a perfect world I'd love to see the nrl footy show return on Thursday nights.

Monday nights are shit for footy haha. Sunday 6pm not far behind.

yakstorm

First Grade
Agree and the NRL is in a far better position now than it was back then to pushback on the likes of Nine and Fox. In 07, the game was still half owned by News, it was the first year of a new broadcast deal, which was a huge step up from what the game had before (it went from 300m to 500m) and the code was not the dominant TV player it is today (Union was still a decent player after their early 2000's success, AFL was everywhere, A-League was the hot new thing).

It's crazy how far the game come from where it was.

Melbourne should be playing at home in round one. It makes no sense to send them interstate to play when there's no AwFuL et the MCG.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
A few thousand permanent seats could be added at the northern end.

One of the main benefits of having Origin played at North Queensland Stadium every second year is it will increase the odds of Stadiums Queensland keeping it up to date with the latest technology.
Why put permanent seats there when they won’t be used most of the time? It was specifically built that way to allow the breeze in, keep it as designed except when a capacity boost is needed then use temporary seating.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm not so sure about that.

The APL has completely flubbed the Canberra side and all the talk has gone real quite in the last month. As soon as they made merging with the Women's team a requirement it was a 50/50 that the team would get off the ground at all, and at this point entering the team for next year would be a rushed shitshow. It's still a chance, but frankly things have been so poorly managed that it's not a given that the A-league side will get up at all at this point.

This article is about federal funding as well. If there's federal funding for a stadium in Canberra it'll be in Bruce as part of an upgrade to the AIS and the current talk federally is about a half arsed upgrade to the stadium, not a full knockdown rebuild. If that upgrade happens the ACT, and the Raiders and Brumbies by extension, will be no better off than they are now in effect, if anything we'll be even worse off because we'll be stuck in a bad situation for another 30-50 years, and the clubs will both reject any upgrade proposal aggressively if they're smart.

Nobody wants to admit it, and a lot of people are straight up in denial or delusional, but we're well and truly in relocation territory at this point... The stadium is degrading quickly and discussions continue to head in such a negative direction that it'd be gross negligence for both the Raiders and Brumbies not to have escape routes planned unless things turnaround dramatically in the next few years. It sucks, but it is what it is.
You're really pushing this idea that the Raiders should relocate... that absolutely no one else is talking about.

Tell us more about your fantasy of your favourite team the Brumbies having Canberra all to themselves

Latest posts