What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Great Dane

First Grade
You're really pushing this idea that the Raiders should relocate... that absolutely no one else is talking about.

Tell us more about your fantasy of your favourite team the Brumbies having Canberra all to themselves
The fact I never said it should be enough to indicate that I don't hold that opinion.

I didn't say they 'should' relocate, I said that things are going so badly that it'd be negligent for them not to start preparing for the worst outcomes at this point. Unfortunately that should include lining up alternate homes should the new stadium fall through, which in the Raiders' case would realistically necessitate either somehow funding their own stadium or relocating. I also said that the Brumbies should do the same.

It's not like such a scenario hasn't happened in Canberra in recent times either. The Capitals were literally left without a home because of political inaction leading to the AIS Arena being closed to the public.

They've been able to scrape by by moving games to the Convention Centre temporarily, but A. they had no timeframe for when the arena would be reopened initially, B. it's only being reopened because of federal intervention which can't be relied on, C. they've still been lucky to survive this period and aren't out of the woods yet, and D. the government still refused to put the money in to modernise the Arena and opted only to do the bare minimum to make it legal to reopen despite their being interest for the NBL as well.

So yeah, I'm not being hyperbolic. There's a realistic chance that the Raiders and Brumbies could be completely f**ked by the stadium negotiations and they should be prepared for that outcome. Furthermore if the deal isn't done by 2028, maybe even earlier, then there's a good chance that the AFL will start sniffing around as well, at which point everything will go to complete shit, especially if Andrew Barr's still in charge.

Things have got that bad, people should be discussing it, and it's unbelievable that the NRL and RL media haven't stepped in sooner and made some serious noise about the stadium situation in Canberra yet.

Last edited:
You're really pushing this idea that the Raiders should relocate... that absolutely no one else is talking about.

Tell us more about your fantasy of your favourite team the Brumbies having Canberra all to themselves
There's no way the Raiders would contemplate relocating interstate. They're drawing strong crowds and are as popular as they've ever been.

The Great Dunce doesn't realise that Australia isn't America.

The fact I never said it should be enough to indicate that I don't hold that opinion.

I didn't say they 'should' relocate, I said that things are going so badly that it'd be negligent for them not to start preparing for the worst outcomes at this point. Unfortunately that should include lining up alternate homes should the new stadium fall through, which in the Raiders' case would realistically necessitate either somehow funding their own stadium or relocating. I also said that the Brumbies should do the same.

It's not like such a scenario hasn't happened in Canberra in recent times either. The Capitals were literally left without a home because of political inaction leading to the AIS Arena being closed to the public.

They've been able to scrape by by moving games to the Convention Centre temporarily, but A. they had no timeframe for when the arena would be reopened initially, B. it's only being reopened because of federal intervention which can't be relied on, C. they've still been lucky to survive this period and aren't out of the woods yet, and D. the government still refused to put the money in to modernise the Arena and opted only to do the bare minimum to make it legal to reopen despite their being interest for the NBL as well.

So yeah, I'm not being hyperbolic. There's a realistic chance that the Raiders and Brumbies could be completely f**ked by the stadium negotiations and they should be prepared for that outcome. Furthermore if the deal isn't done by 2028, maybe even earlier, then there's a good chance that the AFL will start sniffing around as well, at which point everything will go to complete shit, especially if Andrew Barr's still in charge.

Things have got that bad, people should be discussing it, and it's unbelievable that the NRL and RL media haven't stepped in sooner and made some serious noise about the stadium situation in Canberra yet.

In relation to getting a new stadium, or funding for one, in the ACT, this might be the committee of the Federal Parliament to lobby -

The Great Dane

First Grade
In relation to getting a new stadium, or funding for one, in the ACT, this might be the committee of the Federal Parliament to lobby -

Yeah the stadium lobby has already been down that route. They can't get involved until the ACT government presents a business case.

The only alternative is if the ASC goes rogue and develops a new stadium independently of the ACT, which A. is extremely unlikely, and B. would inevitably result in a bad outcome for the Raiders as it'd be built in Bruce and designed to suit the AIS's needs first and foremost instead of being purpose built for the Raiders, Brumbies, and potential A-league side. It'd also inevitably end up being neglected like almost all federal assets outside the Parliamentary Triangle are in the ACT.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
There's no way the Raiders would contemplate relocating interstate. They're drawing strong crowds and are as popular as they've ever been.

The Great Dunce doesn't realise that Australia isn't America.
The guy is delusional he's completely made it up and is now pushing the idea. He just wants RL out of the way so the Brumbies are the only show in town. That way they will draw 5k to matches instead of 4.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Completely agree, the NRL should be all over this shit.

The guy is delusional he's completely made it up and is now pushing the idea. He just wants RL out of the way so the Brumbies are the only show in town. That way they will draw 5k to matches instead of 4.
According to him the Dolphins are a failure because they're a BRL club, the Raiders will need to relocate because Bruce Stadium isn't Lang Park and the game is f**ked because it doesn't have unwanted teams in backwater markets like Adelaide and Perth.

The Great Dane

First Grade
lol first AFL is just as popular as League in Canberra and now the rectangle codes are all gonna relocate. "The Secret™" isn't real bro. You can't will that AFL team in to existence.
Here comes the the dickhead tourist to tell the morons what they want to hear.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Then it's a good thing the Raiders have Bruce Stadium, hey?
Sure, but for how long?

Realistically Canberra is little chance of a new stadium opening before the mid-late 2030s at the earliest, and that assumes that construction of stage 2B of the light rail runs on schedule and that the government is willing to delay, or at least impact, construction of stage 3, neither of which is a given. Does the sewage leaking, literally falling apart, Western Grandstand have another 10-15 or more years of life left in it? Maybe, but the AIS Arena was also "fine" until suddenly it wasn't, and the Raiders would be stupid not to be prepared for either eventuality.

Even setting that aside, how long are the Raiders willing to have a shit stadium undermine their business and potential like Bruce does? How much longer are they willing to continue to be dicked around and played for fools by the government? A decade, two decades, more? Cause they'll be waiting forever if they keep meekly going about things the way they have. They, along with the NRL, need to get proactive.

The reality is what it is, and we need to contend with it.

Wb1234

Referee
Sure, but for how long?

Realistically Canberra is little chance of a new stadium opening before the mid-late 2030s at the earliest, and that assumes that construction of stage 2B of the light rail runs on schedule and that the government is willing to delay, or at least impact, construction of stage 3, neither of which is a given. Does the sewage leaking, literally falling apart, Western Grandstand have another 10-15 or more years of life left in it? Maybe, but the AIS Arena was also "fine" until suddenly it wasn't, and the Raiders would be stupid not to be prepared for either eventuality.

Even setting that aside, how long are the Raiders willing to have a shit stadium undermine their business and potential like Bruce does? How much longer are they willing to continue to be dicked around and played for fools by the government? A decade, two decades, more? Cause they'll be waiting forever if they keep meekly going about things the way they have. They, along with the NRL, need to get proactive.

The reality is what it is, and we need to contend with it.

They should relocate here then they are eligible for nsw govt funding