What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Sure, but for how long?

Realistically Canberra is little chance of a new stadium opening before the mid-late 2030s at the earliest, and that assumes that construction of stage 2B of the light rail runs on schedule and that the government is willing to delay, or at least impact, construction of stage 3, neither of which is a given. Does the sewage leaking, literally falling apart, Western Grandstand have another 10-15 or more years of life left in it? Maybe, but the AIS Arena was also "fine" until suddenly it wasn't, and the Raiders would be stupid not to be prepared for either eventuality.

Even setting that aside, how long are the Raiders willing to have a shit stadium undermine their business and potential like Bruce does? How much longer are they willing to continue to be dicked around and played for fools by the government? A decade, two decades, more? Cause they'll be waiting forever if they keep meekly going about things the way they have. They, along with the NRL, need to get proactive.

The reality is what it is, and we need to contend with it.
There are worse grounds than Bruce Stadium.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Sure, but for how long?

Realistically Canberra is little chance of a new stadium opening before the mid-late 2030s at the earliest, and that assumes that construction of stage 2B of the light rail runs on schedule and that the government is willing to delay, or at least impact, construction of stage 3, neither of which is a given. Does the sewage leaking, literally falling apart, Western Grandstand have another 10-15 or more years of life left in it? Maybe, but the AIS Arena was also "fine" until suddenly it wasn't, and the Raiders would be stupid not to be prepared for either eventuality.

Even setting that aside, how long are the Raiders willing to have a shit stadium undermine their business and potential like Bruce does? How much longer are they willing to continue to be dicked around and played for fools by the government? A decade, two decades, more? Cause they'll be waiting forever if they keep meekly going about things the way they have. They, along with the NRL, need to get proactive.

The reality is what it is, and we need to contend with it.
What a disaster!! That's it, you've convinced me. Relocate them. Las Vegas Raiders. They can play both the Vegas games back to back, 9 games at North Sydney Oval and one heritage game at Seiffert Oval.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
As a Raiders member I don't think Bruce is too bad. Decent seats everywhere and feels modern enough compared to some of the shitholes other teams play at.

Main issue is lack of protection from elements which can either be super hot or freezing. That and a lack of other activities nearby.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Highly unlikely Canberra Raiders will relocate. Eventually the Raiders and the Brumbies will have a new stadium.

Over in NZ, back in 2011, Christchurch suffered an earthquake. It damaged the stadium of the Canterbury Crusaders. Since then the Crusaders have played at a temporary stadium. In a couple of years time, they will play in a new covered stadium. A venue where a possible NZ 2 team could call home.

Despite an earthquake, the Canterbury Crusaders didn't relocate, but just found a temporary home until a new one was built.

It would be quite embarrassing if the Raiders were forced to relocate due to politics.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Highly unlikely Canberra Raiders will relocate. Eventually the Raiders and the Brumbies will have a new stadium.

Over in NZ, back in 2011, Christchurch suffered an earthquake. It damaged the stadium of the Canterbury Crusaders. Since then the Crusaders have played at a temporary stadium. In a couple of years time, they will play in a new covered stadium. A venue where a possible NZ 2 team could call home.

Despite an earthquake, the Canterbury Crusaders didn't relocate, but just found a temporary home until a new one was built.

It would be quite embarrassing if the Raiders were forced to relocate due to politics.
Some of that came down to available options. Christchurch lost all its Rugby World Cup games that year because of the earthquake, but with the Crisaders there really wasn’t anywhere viable to move them too apart from hosting a few games in regional centres. Dunedin already had a team and none of the other towns in the South Island are suitable for hosting sport at that level on a regular ongoing basis.
however you probably say the same about the Raiders, I’m not sure where they could realistically move to.

As a Raiders member I don't think Bruce is too bad. Decent seats everywhere and feels modern enough compared to some of the shitholes other teams play at.

Main issue is lack of protection from elements which can either be super hot or freezing. That and a lack of other activities nearby.
Any chance of tarting the ground up with a roof?

Perth Red

Post Whore

As a sports tourist the main issue I had with it was its location. Miles from city area and nothing around it. I gave up trying to get public transport to it and got a taxi which wasn't cheap. It isnt in a spot that's going to encourage fans of away teams to visit.

As a sports tourist the main issue I had with it was its location. Miles from city area and nothing around it. I gave up trying to get public transport to it and got a taxi which wasn't cheap. It isnt in a spot that's going to encourage fans of away teams to visit.
Had a similar experience

I always thought that if we must have three games on a Sunday, 1/3/5pm would be optimal for crowds, with the 1pm regularly being an NZ game.

Never going to have those times, especially with the mindset of our free to air telecasters in Australia. The 6pm news bulletin is so ingrained in them, they won't shift it for a live game starting at 5.00 pm, or if they get the 3.00 pm game, won't want to have to use "junk" programming in a 5pm-6pm slot as lead in to the news.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You weren't missed.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Here comes the the dickhead tourist to tell the morons what they want to hear.
Why are you still calling me a tourist when I told you my history? Why do you only ever post negative shit about League in Canberra? You're a troll. Never see you in gameday threads. Never see you post anything positive about League. f**k off back to big footy mate.

azza29

Juniors
Never going to have those times, especially with the mindset of our free to air telecasters in Australia. The 6pm news bulletin is so ingrained in them, they won't shift it for a live game starting at 5.00 pm, or if they get the 3.00 pm game, won't want to have to use "junk" programming in a 5pm-6pm slot as lead in to the news.
I think you’re right on all counts here, Nine is run by dinosaurs who haven’t moved on from 1997. Does anyone under 60 still watch commercial TV news?

Regardless, 1/3/5pm Sundays would be great for crowds, especially if Auckland and Perth are in the mix.