What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think they posted a plan with a $50m price tag a while back, actually looked pretty nice though it’ll still be a boutique ground. Wish someone would chuck 50m at Mt Smart though

beave

Coach
Everytime i go to Suncorp it's hard to not be impressed at the joint. I had seats up the 3rd tier northern end yesterday, went for a stroll around in between games and there's glass panels in the top NW corner with big open area with a bar, I've never seen the place from that perspective before. It gave me another angle to appreciate the work that went into the joint 20+ years ago, Populous really nailed the design.

If they end up doing a western stand upgrade for the Olympics, lifting the roof off, even just on the west side, will be a massive pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Bukowski

Juniors
Everytime i go to Suncorp it's hard to not be impressed at the joint. I had seats up the 3rd tier northern end yesterday, went for a stroll around in between games and there's glass panels in the top NE corner with big open area with a bar, I've never seen the place from that perspective before. It gave me another angle to appreciate the work that went into the joint 20+ years ago, Populous really nailed the design.

If they end up doing a western stand upgrade for the Olympics, lifting the roof off, even just on the west side, will be a massive pain in the ass.

I was seated there last year on the Sunday. Those seats were alcohol free so I stood up at that bar for the last game. Great view and being alcohol free section the bar was empty. Good way to end the weekend

Wb1234

Referee
I think they posted a plan with a $50m price tag a while back, actually looked pretty nice though it’ll still be a boutique ground. Wish someone would chuck 50m at Mt Smart though
Grandstand to the north facing the water and the rest was cosmetic changes

Timbo

Staff member
At the end of the day it's going to come down to how much money the Tigers can make on the day from the corporate sales.

Refurbishing the existing areas and building some more in the northern area is obviously an improvement, but will it be enough to make Leichardt viable over the newer stadiums? Until the money gets broken down, it remains to be seen.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Wb1234

Referee
With the deal to lock the grand final in sudneu yet to be done it will be interesting which grounds the remaining 500 million or so is spent (Brookie, Cronulla, Wollongong, any left for Newcastle ?)

with Albo getting involved in providing funding for grounds Canberra will also be a beneficiary

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Wb1234

Referee
Looking at the costings there $50m would about pay for the moderate western grandstand refurbishment, Lower bowl facelift and other smaller improvements, but not a new northern stand
The northern stand is the one that collapsed at a schoolboys game and is in most urgent need of repair

The latchem Robison stand is perfectly fine as it is

Steel Saints

Juniors
A $50 million upgrade may be good enough to host lower grades, women's football, local sport etc. But is it enough to host NRL matches? Can Wests Tigers make money out of a slightly upgraded LO?

Bukowski

Juniors
A $50 million upgrade may be good enough to host lower grades, women's football, local sport etc. But is it enough to host NRL matches? Can Wests Tigers make money out of a slightly upgraded LO?
It would need a lot of new corporate suites similar to Brookie's north end.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is the non-paywalled version -

It sets out exactly what the Tigers want done to the ground.
why does the title say $50mill then the article say $40mill? Journos, sigh.

$40mill will be enough to make it a safe ground for local amateur sport. $400mil if it wants to stay an NRL stadium!

With the deal to lock the grand final in sudneu yet to be done it will be interesting which grounds the remaining 500 million or so is spent (Brookie, Cronulla, Wollongong, any left for Newcastle ?)

with Albo getting involved in providing funding for grounds Canberra will also be a beneficiary

That $500 million is from the NSW Government alone. None of it will be going to Canberra.

Latest posts