What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future Super League Stadiums

WireMan

Bench
latest pics from St Helens;

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/1203

It's looking pretty close to ready. I like the way they've that main stand, but for me it's a real shame how all of these new stadiums are looking amost identical to one another...

We'd all love to have bespoke state of the art super stadiums that change colour, but rugby stadiums in the the North of England don't come like that.

To be honest there is not much you can do to stadiums of this size. Stick up three standard stands and one big one with offices etc. in it. Away you go.

Anything safe, with a roof and not falling down will do me!!

In other news, Leeds are not doing the south stand. No one seems to know why. Hull KR are not bothering to do there ground, as they budgeted to low, and the super market wanting to buy Wheldon Road (Cas) is looking at other sites so they can't afford a new ground either.

So basically after all the promises, the one club still standing is Wakey! The whole of West Yorkshire is depending on you!

Evil Homer

Staff member
Leeds will have to do the South Stand at some point, they won't be able to get a safety certificate for it for much longer.

I understand what you're saying about similar stadiums Langpark, although from the outside Saints stadium is a pretty unique design compared to others like Widnes or Leigh, and so too is Salford's to be fair.

roughyedspud

Coach
bespoke state of the art stadia cost money that the clubs and local council just don't have.....they have to be cheap...

saying all that though the titans stadium is a fairly basic design with a fancy roof....and i see the north QLD cowboys are gonna build a pretty much identical stadium in townsville

stadium-wide.jpg

skilled_park2.jpg

and even thats going to cost $185m :shock:

langpark

First Grade
Lets get a few things straight. I don't care at all for the 'state of the art' fancy stadiums. Allianz Arena is impressive and unique, but it doesn't do all that much for me. For the record, my favourite stdium in the world is Dortmund's, just a nice, no-nonsense stadium where every seat is as close as possible to the action, THIS should be priority in any stadium, rather than cosmetic/exterior BS...

Give me a match at a stadium like Headingly over Doncaster's stadium any day...

There are some examples of how a stadium can be unique yet still in the Super League 10-15k range. Perpignan and Montpellier come to mind off the top of my head...

And lastly, you say i want a 'bespoke' stadium, i don't even know the meaning of the word! :lol:

roughyedspud

Coach
And lastly, you say i want a 'bespoke' stadium, i don't even know the meaning of the word! :lol:

Allianz Arena is a bespoke, architecturally different,designed stadium...that cost alot of money to design and construct

doncaster is not...leigh's LSV is not...salfords is not....st helens is not (though abit more design seems to have gone into it) ...they are what are commonly referred to these days as "flat pack stadia" ie cheap,no fuss,quick and easy to build

Goddo

Bench
Saint Helens have a nice ground there. Is it upgradeable? Can't see 18k being enough long term

roughyedspud

Coach
Saint Helens have a nice ground there. Is it upgradeable? Can't see 18k being enough long term

18k is spot on..they'll only trouble that capacity a couple or 3 times a season...but theres 2 corners they can fill in taking it up to 20k-ish if they really need it

langpark

First Grade
18k is spot on..they'll only trouble that capacity a couple or 3 times a season...but theres 2 corners they can fill in taking it up to 20k-ish if they really need it
I thought they were deliberately left open like that so large vehicles could have easy access, like an ambulance or a stage on a trailer, in and out fast for pre-match or halftime live music, for example...?

VictoryFC

Bench
There are quite a few English soccer clubs that would kill for something like that. What a class venue for the Saints. I hate the DW, so this ranks alongside the KC stadium as my favourite in the SL.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Saints stadium is pretty much finished now, I think they are just going to add some external covering at the back of the stands and then they'll be good to go.
307468_10150425219966233_588991232_10493880_1451210746_n.jpg
313896_10150425217856233_588991232_10493853_1934551874_n.jpg

langpark

First Grade
Salford's stadium is close to completion.

AdqOSIFCQAAtOKn.jpg:large
Looks good, but how well connected is it to transport etc? Seems a bit isolated...

Here is a pic courtesy of rlfans, the upgrades being done at Warrington. I think all four corners are being filled in and the new capacity will be about 15,000...

adbzpcqaasr4s.jpg

Evil Homer

Staff member
I thought the same about Salford, but the road that you can see in the background on the bridge is a major motorway for access to Manchester and it's also pretty close to the Trafford Centre, which is one of the biggest and most well-known shopping malls in the country, so I don't think there will be too much of a problem. Also I think the area surrounding the stadium is going to be built up in the coming years, but don't quote me on that.

Warrington are only filling in two of the corners, which will take the capacity to 15,500. The other two will take it over 18,000, but that isn't neccessary just yet. IMO the stadium will look far better with the corners filled in.

Last edited: