What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

future world cups

docbrown

Coach
Will it all depends on the format/number of teams but why not

2017 XV - Australasia
Australia (main host + finals)
New Zealand (secondary host - own games + few others + finals)
PNG (1-2 own games)
Fiji (1-2 own games)

2021 XVI - Europe
England (main host + finals)
France (secondary host - own games + few others + finals)
Wales (2-3 own games + 1 final)
Ireland (1-2 own games)
Italy (1-2 own games)
Scotland (1 game)
* depending on France's development in the next few years France might be able to be main host

2025 XVII - Pacific (if USA involved)
New Zealand (main host + finals)
Australia (secondary host - own games + few others + finals)
Papua New Guinea (2-3 own games)
South Africa or Fiji (1-2 own games - if they qualify)
USA (Honolulu) (1-2 own games - if they qualify)

2029 XVIII
This is probably the one where a non big 3 country could be main host

Celtic:
Wales + Scotland + Ireland + France (as split main hosts) + Eng (second)

Atlantic v1:
France (main) + Eng (second) + Canada + USA

Atlantic v2:
USA + Canada (main) + France + Eng (secondaries)

Mediterranean:
France (main) + Eng (second) + Italy + Spain

Indo:
South Africa + Australia (main)

Pacific (but better for 2033)
PNG + Fiji (split main) + Aus + NZ (secondaries) + Samoa + Tonga

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
Its about building an interest in China. If we wait till a country shows even a little interest in the game before we have the world cup there then the game is going no where very quickly.

An unsuccessful world cup with basically no crowds, no revenue, and big losses would be more damaging to the international game... we can't afford to have a World Cup in China for the next thousand years...

Be realistic.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Problem is it can only really be profitable and crowded if organised in RL strongholds, which doesn't really spread the game.

Next best bet is to play it where union is popular at least - South Africa, Celts, France, Italy, New Zealand - which might garner some support, but any lasting effect will be stiffled (unintentionally) by union.

So what is left is Eastern Europe, North America, South/Central America, Asia. All are risky and likely to be flops; but if they were pulled off the result on the ground would be more significant for growing the game.

So outside of the strongholds, I would say that North America is the best bet by a country mile.

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
I realise that, but hasn't the RLWC only begun operating at profit, again, recently? It's too soon to be considering big risks like China where there is next to know knowledge of RL. I highly doubt the country has even been considered by organisers and for good reason too. I wouldn't mind seeing a RLWC in NZ, soon; France a little later down the track, too. I think the NRL Auckland 9s and previous international games in NZ has proven that the RLWC would be strongly attended there

reanimate

Bench
Problem is it can only really be profitable and crowded if organised in RL strongholds, which doesn't really spread the game.

Next best bet is to play it where union is popular at least - South Africa, Celts, France, Italy, New Zealand - which might garner some support, but any lasting effect will be stiffled (unintentionally) by union.

So what is left is Eastern Europe, North America, South/Central America, Asia. All are risky and likely to be flops; but if they were pulled off the result on the ground would be more significant for growing the game.

So outside of the strongholds, I would say that North America is the best bet by a country mile.

I'd agree, I'd lean towards making Canada the main hosts, they've shown some really strong interest in the Wolverines revival. Although Jacksonville could also be a really good city to be the main host.

alien

Referee
usa - and play some games in canada and jamaica too.

usa could easily become the 4th strongest rugby league nation on the planet in the future if its managed right. there are alot of good athletes who try to make it in the nfl but fail, but if alot of them are encouraged to join the american rugby league comp, with a chance of representing their nation in an upcoming worldcup in america, it would be great. the tomahawks are already fairly competitive against most world cup nations. they beat france in france a week before the worldcup and beat cook islands and wales in the world cup. infact they should be competing along with france and wales to be included in the 4 nations every other year. . .

deal.with.it

Juniors
In 2021, England could host it and have a few matches in the celts.
Or France could host and have a few matches in Italy, Spain and Belgium.
Could South Africa host it alone by 2021?
USA and Canada could co-host by 2025 maybe.
Regardless, it's going to come down to which country/countries can get the most government support.
If France can have some success by the next WC, get a surprise win over Aus, NZ or Eng, then maybe the government would jump aboard for 2025.
They definitely wont support hosting it if their own team is going to get beaten by 40 points.

gyallop

Juniors
bums on seats, TV viewers and gov't support all come back to a RL stronghold. The RLIF cant afford to be romantic and take the cup anywhere away from the UK or the ANZACS.

Canada is getting over 5,000 to a couple of games and the USA less than half that to a GF but how many pay and where will they find the extra 450,000 to match the last Cup over 20 odd more games and what would the UK and the ANZACS pay for TV that is shown there at a bad viewing time.

It would be wonderful if the Cup could be taken to the world but it cant for now in my view.

Chook Norris

First Grade
bums on seats, TV viewers and gov't support all come back to a RL stronghold. The RLIF cant afford to be romantic and take the cup anywhere away from the UK or the ANZACS.

Canada is getting over 5,000 to a couple of games and the USA less than half that to a GF but how many pay and where will they find the extra 450,000 to match the last Cup over 20 odd more games and what would the UK and the ANZACS pay for TV that is shown there at a bad viewing time.

It would be wonderful if the Cup could be taken to the world but it cant for now in my view.

100% correct. People need to stop dreaming that places like South Africa, China and USA are anywhere close to hosting. They are a hundred years off hosting (if ever). This is not the FIFA World Cup where countries are demanding to host the RLWC. The RLIF isn't stupid. It's suicide to host it in such countries at the moment and lose millions. I'm not being negative, i'm being realistic. Some of you are being far too hopeful. It's okay to dream big, but you're dreaming way too big to think South Africa can host a RLWC in 2021 for example, lol

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I think post 2021, the Mediterranean WC(France/Spain/Italy even Greece) could work but very dependant on the development in these nations. The situation In Italy would definitely need fixing and if they did they have a great nucleus to build and the game although in its infancy in Spain has seen very good growth already.

2029 and onwards could be realistic for the US/Canada/Jamaica but again as long as development continues. Obviously there are some good financial backers in Canada who love the game but they need to concentrate on the youth level to properly develop RL and in years to come you will see some great development happening at grassroots level in the US under the USARL.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
100% correct. People need to stop dreaming that places like South Africa, China and USA are anywhere close to hosting. They are a hundred years off hosting (if ever). This is not the FIFA World Cup where countries are demanding to host the RLWC. The RLIF isn't stupid. It's suicide to host it in such countries at the moment and lose millions. I'm not being negative, i'm being realistic. Some of you are being far too hopeful. It's okay to dream big, but you're dreaming way too big to think South Africa can host a RLWC in 2021 for example, lol

Unless of course, like the IRB you charge the local union and by extension the local government and by further extension the local taxpayer with selling the tickets (to themselves lol). Ie the financial burden is directly shifted to taxpayers. Then, it doesn't matter if the stands are mostly empty, the tournament still turns a profit, and if the folk don't like it, well they should have just gone to the games.

See how well that would go down in Spain, France, Italy and Greece. We could call it the Debt Crisis World Cup.

In all seriousness, the IRB model will soon struggle to work even though they have done extremely well out of it. They snuck one on the largely complicit NZ, UK and Japanese governments in "good" times but not without criticism.

gyallop

Juniors
I think post 2021, the Mediterranean WC(France/Spain/Italy even Greece) could work but very dependant on the development in these nations. The situation In Italy would definitely need fixing and if they did they have a great nucleus to build and the game although in its infancy in Spain has seen very good growth already.

2029 and onwards could be realistic for the US/Canada/Jamaica but again as long as development continues. Obviously there are some good financial backers in Canada who love the game but they need to concentrate on the youth level to properly develop RL and in years to come you will see some great development happening at grassroots level in the US under the USARL.

so 3 nations that are in serious financial crisis where RL is barely played can be part of a financially viable RLWC after this one? How is there obviously good financial backers in Canada?
the Gold Coast Gladiators made big announcements in the day!
Canada USA or Jamaica for the 2017 RLWC spot?

docbrown

Coach

True but you can have main hosts and secondary hosts. We might never see the whole thing hosted in Italy any time soon but a one off game - why not? It's close enough to England & France to work.

Australia-England-New Zealand-France for the next 4 and nearby countries as secondaries.

I can't see Union playing a world cup in Australia or New Zealand and host matches in PNG, Fiji, Samoa & Tonga so we can use that to our advantage.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
so 3 nations that are in serious financial crisis where RL is barely played can be part of a financially viable RLWC after this one? How is there obviously good financial backers in Canada?
the Gold Coast Gladiators made big announcements in the day!
Canada USA or Jamaica for the 2017 RLWC spot?

I did say post 2021 for the Mediterranean not hosting the 2021 WC and obviously very dependant on development of RL in these nations especially Italy who need to sort themselves out as they have big potential if they merged as one body. At the moment, of course not but over 12 years away this could be different.

And I did say 2029 and onwards for the North America bid, not 2017. The NRLUS also made big announcements in their day as well so we all know that we should never get our hopes up on anything in RL.

alien

Referee

keep-calm-and-bolieve-5.png

Wilson1

Juniors
Unless of course, like the IRB you charge the local union and by extension the local government and by further extension the local taxpayer with selling the tickets (to themselves lol). Ie the financial burden is directly shifted to taxpayers. Then, it doesn't matter if the stands are mostly empty, the tournament still turns a profit, and if the folk don't like it, well they should have just gone to the games.

See how well that would go down in Spain, France, Italy and Greece. We could call it the Debt Crisis World Cup.

In all seriousness, the IRB model will soon struggle to work even though they have done extremely well out of it. They snuck one on the largely complicit NZ, UK and Japanese governments in "good" times but not without criticism.

The charge for hosting did not exist for the 2011 World Cup. Only for the 2015 and 2019 ones. If you look at how fast the tickets are flying off the press in England then I doubt the IRB will ever have any problems. France, England, Australia and South Africa are big enough to have a successful RWC and then they can see who else wants it.

IowaRL

Juniors
If you want to hold the WC in the US, it'd have to be in Feb/March. The mass amounts of NFL and College ball not only restrict venues, but also take away any potential interest. Yes, this would mess with the Super League season, but if organized far enough in aDvance things could be moved.

IowaRL

Juniors
bit of a mess about really

lets put together "bids" for future world cups...i'll kick off

CANADA - 4 CITIES - 4 GROUPS OF 4

host cities..

MONTREAL , stadium used for all group A games + one 1/4 final, saputo stadium , cap 20k
montreal_saputo1.jpg

WINNIPEG , stadium used for all group B games + one 1/4 final , investorsgroup field , cap32k
winnipeg_investors1.jpg

TORONTO, stadium used for all group C games,one 1/4 final & one semi final , BMO FIELD ,cap 21k
toronto_bmo1.jpg

VANCOUVER, stadium used for all group D games,one 1/4 final,one semi final & RLWC FINAL, BC place , cap 21k/54k
vancouver_bc_place2.jpg

Issue with this is timing, like in the USA. Canadian Football will be in season at most of these during traditional cup time. Means you'd need to use alternative venues, or play in march.

gyallop

Juniors
Issue with this is timing, like in the USA. Canadian Football will be in season at most of these during traditional cup time. Means you'd need to use alternative venues, or play in march.

There is no way the NRL clubs would allow their stars to play a RLWC in March.

Latest posts