What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G-Force Awakens!

State of Origin 2017: The advanced stats that prove Wade Graham is league’s best hitman
DAVID RICCIO, The Daily Telegraph
July 7, 2017 8:00pm
Subscriber only
YOU’VE heard of the G-Train.

Now meet the G-Force.

A study of the g-force data which Wade Graham has generated in tackles this season provides a startling insight into the NSW Origin forward’s heavy hits.

Graham generates more force than a Red Bull race plane or even Daniel Ricciardo’s Formula One car.

The Saturday Telegraph has obtained never-before-seen GPS accelerometery data from the Cronulla Sharks which they use to monitor the level of fatigue, heart rate, speed and g-force their players generate every second of every NRL match.

The data is collated by highly regarded Sharks physical performance manager Andrew Gray, who has previously consulted internationally across multiple codes, including the English Premier League.

d2186fc8d3ff3490cb8ff14bd5d544f0

Graham is known as one of the NRL’s hardest tacklers.
It is used for assessment of performance, training and recovery.

An accelerometer embedded within a tracking device, which is attached to the player’s jersey, has delivered incredible numbers when measuring Graham’s power in defence and justifiably, what the Queensland attack will be wary of in next Wednesday’s Origin decider.

On multiple occasions this season, Graham has produced bruising and painful body shots in excess of 12g.

In its simplest form, g-force is best explained as a force acting on a body, as a result of acceleration or gravity.

In round one this year, Graham’s wrapping tackle, which stopped Brisbane forward Alex Glenn on the spot, produced an amazing 12.75g.

Graham’s weight of 98kg, force and acceleration again reached almost 13g in round seven, this time on Penrith’s strapping forward Regan Campbell-Gillard.

c8e0d559ff7d845a1fbd2a385d1dce78

This shot on Alex Glenn nearly hit 13g’s.
That flattening tackle now features regularly in online videos.

Two weeks ago against Manly, Graham shortened Sea Eagles prop Darcy Lussick with the force of 11g.

By comparison, the maximum permitted g-force turn in a Red Bull Air Race plane is 10g.

A Formula One race car maximum permitted g-force under heavy braking is 6.3g.

The Tower of Terror in South Africa holds the records for a roller coaster’s g-force with 6.3g.

Power and technique, at a time when the shoulder charge is outlawed, is critical towards Graham perfecting punishing collisions.

RADAR: The surprise target for the Blues

LADDER: Where will your team finish

Despite a justified reputation for skill and class with the ball in hand, Graham is fast becoming a notable enforcer in defence.

The man himself is quick to point out where his focus lies.

Despite the power-hitting numbers, Graham — who was caught out in Origin II with a missed tackle which led to a crucial Dane Gagai try for Queensland — says his game has never been about being spectacular.

“Defence is an area which, particularly on my edge of the field, you need to get right — or as we all know, it can hurt not just you, but your teammates,’’ Graham said.

LEAGUE CENTRAL PODCAST: NSW forwards Aaron Woods and David Klemmer join Fatima Kdouh in Blues camp to discuss the build-up to the State of Origin series decider.

“I’m constantly working hard to perfect my technique.

“I’ve always focused on the little stuff, you can’t stop working on every part of your game.

“The bigger hits are what the fans seem to enjoy and they may also attract a few ‘’oohs and ahhs’ from the commentators, I get that.

“But nobody is going to remember that hit, if I slip off and the attacker heads down field or scores.

“So it’s all about timing, technique and picking your moments.

“It’s a physical game rugby league, I’ve always loved that side of the game. I like too, that you can still be physical in this game without being a dirty player.

“It’s what that tackle can do for your teammates too.

“It can lift the spirits of your teammates, I know that’s how I feel when one of my teammates make a dominant-style tackle.

“One thing I know, we’ll all need to bring our best on Wednesday night.

“I’ll happily get through the game without a so-called ‘big hit’ if it means we’re holding up the shield.’’

BY G-FORCE

Gravitron ride: 3g

Formula 1 car turning: 6.5g

Red Bull Air Race plane: 10g

Wade Graham tackle: 12.75g

Originally published as Proof Graham is league’s biggest hitter

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...t/news-story/929a681ceb23b37cb83c9f9729903c23