What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gains And Losses

These Are Our Gains And Losses As Of Today

Gains: Adam Dykes (Parramatta) Paul Mellor (Castleford) Luke Harlen (Penrith) Hutch Maiava (Bulldogs) Luke Covell (Wests Tigers) Beau Scott (Dragons) Phillip Leuluai James Stosic Cliff Manua (All From Newtown)

Losses: Paul Franze (Panthers) Chris Beattie Matt Bickerstaff Dean Bosnich Pat Gibson Shaun Wessel Adam Davison (All To France) Bronx Goodwin (Canberra) Ben Yelavich (Tigers) Andrew Dallalana (Released) Jason Kent (Released) Matt Rieck (Tigers) Mick Russo (Retired) Michael Greenfield (Souths) Hassan Saleh (Retired) Marty O'Born (Released)

Possible Gains: Chris McKenna

Any I Have Missed Please Fill In Below

Nuffs

Bench
i did say that he might be over in 2005 but that's not the case. 2006 is 95%

i don't think we'd be able to pay him enough over what he's getting there now

Special K

Coach
I hope Dallalana gets picked up by some club. He wasn't that bad. I still remember him killing Manly in PL in 2003 and kicking goals from all over the park.

blueshark

Juniors
We seem to be putting a lot of faith in beu scott and mcgoldrick next year ,or do we have another young centre coming through,as i thought we were just not getting the job done out wide.

SirShire

First Grade
Alot of those losses are for the better. We had alot of deadwood in PL. But now we have very little in the way of experienced forwards and fill-in halves.

I would have been pleased if we released all bar Beattie, Kent, Bickers and Greenfield. Hopefully some sense might prevaila dn Kent may be resigned.

blueshark said:
We seem to be putting a lot of faith in beu scott and mcgoldrick next year ,or do we have another young centre coming through,as i thought we were just not getting the job done out wide.

Vince Mellars?
Paul Mellor?

Nullajet

Juniors
kent is the glaring mistake in allowing him to go........it scares me that we seem to be buying back a few players from our past success.......are we really expecting them to maintain the same form from 3 seasons ago????

i loved mellor.....i thought dykes had ONE great season from...countless bad ones...... I think McKenna is class......oops....WAS class...he is getting long in the tooth........

then we let go Kent......a young guy showing some ability....

I hope Im wrong but Im not impressed with our buys.......

The Popper

Bench
Nullajet said:
it scares me that we seem to be buying back a few players from our past success.......are we really expecting them to maintain the same form from 3 seasons ago????

Ditto. I just hope club funds are not becoming Superannuation for soon to be retired players.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Some positions you need NRL experience.
Even if Dykes plays 8 games next year, as long as he is there for the finals, he will be a bonus & a good buy.

Experience is the most important thing in a club. It is worth 2 salary caps of inexperienced players.

Look at any clubs slide down the ladder & you will see a common trait. The loss of experience.

The recruitment job is therefore, to to have player churn, but to manage it in a way as to suffer no loss of experience.
Imagine if the club let go of Stevo or Peach for next year. No matter what our purchases have been, we would be looking at the spoon.

SadShark

Bench
I agree with you about Dykes reefy - it just allows another kicking option on the 4th or 5th and puts the defence in two minds. Mellor will still be hard to bring down. The team will still be too weak to challenge any of the top four next year. :cry:

Nullajet

Juniors
I'm not convinced Dykes can get back the sort of form he had but i do like the idea of having a 'real' 5/8th for next season. I also like the fact that we have an extra playmaker and kicker so that Kimmorley isn't alone......

Mellor was greeat when he was here last and I was filthy that he left but again Im not sure he can produce the same form.......

I understand and agree with Reefy about the experience side of things but I just hope we don't end up with too much experience and not enough good form.

I disagree with sad shark that we wont challenge any of the top four because I believe we weren't far off being a chance this year save for injuries and discipline

always optomistic.... :)

carinashark

First Grade
We dont have Peach replacement coming through either (what if he copes an injury in 2005) And our props will be thin in 2006 as well. I really like the look of some of our players but the team will be lucky to finnish in 10th or 12th next year. There seems to be a loss of the mungrel that we had with Jason Williams.I really would have liked to have kept Reick as well as he is sooo quick.
Carinashark

warren

Juniors
Gunna Matter said:
Did anyone see Dean Bosnich playing the drums on the footy show?

I seen him, he goes alright. hardly got a cheer out of the crowd though.

bull shark

Juniors
SadShark said:
I agree with you about Dykes reefy - it just allows another kicking option on the 4th or 5th and puts the defence in two minds. Mellor will still be hard to bring down. The team will still be too weak to challenge any of the top four next year. :cry:

Without Kimmorley we beat the Roosters and almost beat Brisbane. we did beat the Broncos in Brisbane with BK. In the Dogs game we were all over them till Bails bombed that try - and the Dogs grabbed it at the end.

We put in lots of good games this season but we then followed with a crap performance (eg Roosters/Eels). What we lacked was not experience, talent or enthusiasm. We lacked consistency. And to me that comes back to the thing I'm always ranting about - Team Spirit. This was completely kicked out the team in 03 and has come back in 04. If Stuey can keep it going, we will win games and that will increase confidence, and with that we definitely threaten any other side.

We now have enough depth that even a moderate run of injuries won't knock us back - EXCEPT: [decided to start a new thread on this..]

Go_The_Sharks

Juniors
Without Kimmorley we beat the Roosters and almost beat Brisbane. we did beat the Broncos in Brisbane with BK. In the Dogs game we were all over them till Bails bombed that try - and the Dogs grabbed it at the end.

We put in lots of good games this season but we then followed with a crap performance (eg Roosters/Eels). What we lacked was not experience, talent or enthusiasm. We lacked consistency. And to me that comes back to the thing I'm always ranting about - Team Spirit. This was completely kicked out the team in 03 and has come back in 04. If Stuey can keep it going, we will win games and that will increase confidence, and with that we definitely threaten any other side.

We now have enough depth that even a moderate run of injuries won't knock us back - EXCEPT: [decided to start a new thread on this..][/quote]

I totaly agree with you. Consistency is more important than anything. You can have all the good players you like. But if the teams not right on the day and don't play like a team, then the talent you got means nothing. Try and compare teams like the dragons or melbourne to the bulldogs and the roosters. Dragons and Melbourne can beat both those teams but they won't do it everyweek. You need consistency and team spirit.