What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop pleads with Saints to move Home Final - $250k carrot

nrlnrl

First Grade
how could the NRL not see this when they made the rules surrounding week 1 of the finals?

But look at last years 1st weekend of finals ... Venues included Brookvale (23k max) and Endeavour (22.5k) (where was Rothfield then) ..

Yes it is unfortunate for those who miss out but it is the rules in which we work .. If you want a different set of rules then set them at the start of the year - the expectation has been set with clubs and fans regarding home ground advantage and that is how is should remain.

Yep, agree 100% - despite increased capacity & better facilities at the SFS the Dragons would lose their home ground advantage. Interesting looking at the crowds for those week 1 finals games played at smaller suburban grounds in 2008 ( therefore won't count Roosters v Broncos at SFS ). Sea Eagles v Dragons at Brookvale Oval only 19,227 & Sharks v Raiders at Toyota Stadium only 18,252. Are those capacities correct ? ( 23K for Brookvale & 22.5k for Toyota )

taxidriver

Coach
I'm all for Saints moving the game only if every single semi is also played at the SFS or Telstra

That includes the Titans, Storm, Broncs, Cowboys and Knights going forward.

Why should interstate/regional teams be entitled to an advantage many Sydney clubs don't get?

The whole home ground semi came about because interstate fans wanted to see their team in finals, I'm all for it but it needs to be the same for everyone

flip

Juniors
I don't mind SFS, especially if it's packed. If it does get moved, NRL better promote it in a big way though and FREE tickets for St.George members to make up for the loss of home ground advantage.

I guess if we don't say 'yes' they'll be a lot more hatred thrown at us, especially by the telecrap and rottfield.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Gallop can go and get f*****.

He doesn't care about the fans. He just wants to get his hands on the extra money otherwise he would give ALL the money to the Dragons.

Hope they tell him to **** off with that pathetic offer.

brendothejet

First Grade
How does get f**ked sound?

IM sorry but have Manly, Melbourne, Parramatta, Cronulla, Penrith or any other team with a 20k capacity ground been asked to move?

NO.

St George as a club has earnt this final and if it is 20k Dragons fans who get the tickets (we have nearly 11k members) then so be it. That is what you get when you turn up and support your team every week.

IM all for the good of the game, but this is for the good of the parramatta bandwagon.

If Parramatta fans were there at the start of the season (instead of the 8k that were at the sharks match) then they might have produced better results and got themselves a home final.

If you cant get a ticket to a match then get down to your clubs Leagues Club and watch it there with other fans and buy a couple drinks, have some dinner and put the dollars into your club, and the game that way.

The Colonel

Immortal
As a Parramatta fan I'd rather the game not be moved. Yes, I'd have loved to be able to travel down and see the game at a bigger stadium. The point is though the NRL now see the potential earnings and want it moved. If this is the case they should never have offered teams the home ground advantage in the first week of the semifinals. They can't change the system now because they are missing out on the final dollars.

Either set it up that all finals are played at the bigger venues - SFS, ANZ, Suncorp and Docklands at the start of every season or be happy with what was set in place from the start.

The Dragons earned the home ground right and the NRL agreed to it from the start.

taxidriver

Coach
The Tele is running a concerted campaign to destabilise them.

Whats behind the headline?

the club won't give the telecrap carte blance access to players, managing the media process.

An approach that is the norm across professional sport and is starting to become more prevelent with other NRL clubs.

Add to this Bennett said "no" to Rothfield's request for an interview for a fluff piece and Rothfield is having a sook.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
dont wanna see it moved, they chose kograh as their advantage and they should get to use that advantage. at the end of the day their goal is the premiership, not bowing into the wishes of parra fans

The Colonel

Immortal
dont wanna see it moved, they chose kograh as their advantage and they should get to use that advantage. at the end of the day their goal is the premiership, not bowing into the wishes of parra fans

Can you show me one single quote in any article from a Parramatta fan other than Rothfield? I'm sure the Telecrap will eventually trot out a family like they did with the Masons but at this stage you guys have earned it...... we didn't. Its pretty simple really.

Mr Saab

Referee
Manly didnt move week one vs the Rabbits in 2007. If it was at the SFS they would have filled the place up.

Cupid Stunt

Can you show me one single quote in any article from a Parramatta fan other than Rothfield? I'm sure the Telecrap will eventually trot out a family like they did with the Masons but at this stage you guys have earned it...... we didn't. Its pretty simple really.

Exactly. I'm missing out on seeing this live BUT stiff sh*t on my behalf. I know amongst my Parra mates, & really those of the other teams also, we dont want to see the demise of the boutique ground. I still haven't been to one game at any of the major stadiums at half full give an extra bit of ambience. And no they will NOT completely fill any stadium they move this game to. Saints earned the right to pack their own house, good luck to 'em I say...

Oh & as someone mentioned earlier, if Gallop was really doing this for the fans then give ALL the cash to StG-I if they were to move. That way they can pro-rata a bit back to the sponsors that keep them afloat. Wouldn't happen though.

to_ddeath

Coach
No way should it be moved. Tell em to get bent.
Some bile morons on here have no idea, stick your bile bias up ya clacker...

brendothejet

First Grade
To all the parra fans who support the dragons at Kogarah my hat is off (and indeed neutral fans)

To offer 250k is just insulting. Winning the premiership is worth at least a million dollars to a team and the first semi final is a vital step.

Hosting the game at kogarah is a step towrads the premiership and the dollars associated.

And if Gallop wants to cash in on a big crowd he shouldnt be trying to knock St George out. We had a prelim against melbourne in 06 and pulled 50k, not to mention the infamous 05 match.

Whatever money they miss out on in week 1 of the finals will be more than made up for later on.

Its not even that many people that are missing out. They will get 20k + in their tonight and again in the semi. The SFS could bring in 40k. This is akin to:

1. Titans moving to Suncorp for their match:30k to a 50k
2. Storm moving to Etihad: 20k to a 50k

Are either of these occuring?

I guess the bulldogs could move it tothe MCG and get a few more through the door.....

nrlnrl

First Grade
why not. good money and better for the fans

but what if it doesn't end up Dragons v Eels?

what if it's Dragons v Manly?

can't imagine that being a massive crowd puller

An excellent point, I think they should wait until Sunday night when matchups are known. eg - if Dragons play Knights, a game at the SFS would be a bonus for Newcastle

drake

First Grade
Kogarah hasn't hosted a final since '98. A grass roots movement worked tirelessly to get St George Illawarra back to Kogarah, and now we should give up the first St George district final in a decade?

Go f**k yerself Gallop.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just goes to show how little the minor premiership means.

Shame really.

I think the Minor Premiership should be a bigger deal for the team that comes first after 26 rounds.

But apparently moving a semi final is worth 250,000 yet the MP only 100,000.

Shame.

The Colonel

Immortal
like I said

the question should be home finals for all the top four or not.

not just Saints

True - they either offer home finals in the first week like they said they would or they play them out of the biggest stadia in the respective regions - SFS, ANZ, Docklands or Suncorp.

Butters

Bench
To all the parra fans who support the dragons at Kogarah my hat is off (and indeed neutral fans)

To offer 250k is just insulting. Winning the premiership is worth at least a million dollars to a team and the first semi final is a vital step.

Hosting the game at kogarah is a step towrads the premiership and the dollars associated.

And if Gallop wants to cash in on a big crowd he shouldnt be trying to knock St George out. We had a prelim against melbourne in 06 and pulled 50k, not to mention the infamous 05 match.

Whatever money they miss out on in week 1 of the finals will be more than made up for later on.

Its not even that many people that are missing out. They will get 20k + in their tonight and again in the semi. The SFS could bring in 40k. This is akin to:

1. Titans moving to Suncorp for their match:30k to a 50k
2. Storm moving to Etihad: 20k to a 50k

Are either of these occuring?

I guess the bulldogs could move it tothe MCG and get a few more through the door.....

Hate to break it to you but if Melbourne get a home final it'll be played at Etihad.

Suck it up princess and let more fans get to the game.