What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GAME DAY. Mighties vs Rickys Unhappy Clappers

Chimp

Bench
I was going to mention the tactics at the start of the game - the back 5 absolutely bossed it out of yardage, leaving the pigs with plenty of energy to handle Tapine and Papali in defence. And once they were gassed, our pigs then started to run. Also meant our starting middles could do BIG minutes, giving us impact from the bench.
We won that game in that first 20 mins.
Ramien is fast becoming elite.
Brailey played very well again, taking the right options out of yardage, running when the opportunity presents, very impressed - we didn’t have much ball right on their line, so I’m not gonna whinge about it, but another game without a barge over attempt…
Overall a very very impressive outing. My only real gripe was the lack of pressure we put on their kicker - so obvious was the lack of pressure, I actually wonder if it was a tactic to stop them being pressured and therefore running it and our structure subsequently being blown out. We certainly can’t let the Clearys and Reynolds of this world have that much time to pick their kicking spot though.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I was going to mention the tactics at the start of the game - the back 5 absolutely bossed it out of yardage, leaving the pigs with plenty of energy to handle Tapine and Papali in defence. And once they were gassed, our pigs then started to run. Also meant our starting middles could do BIG minutes, giving us impact from the bench.
We won that game in that first 20 mins.
Ramien is fast becoming elite.
Brailey played very well again, taking the right options out of yardage, running when the opportunity presents, very impressed - we didn’t have much ball right on their line, so I’m not gonna whinge about it, but another game without a barge over attempt…
Overall a very very impressive outing. My only real gripe was the lack of pressure we put on their kicker - so obvious was the lack of pressure, I actually wonder if it was a tactic to stop them being pressured and therefore running it and our structure subsequently being blown out. We certainly can’t let the Clearys and Reynolds of this world have that much time to pick their kicking spot though.
I reckon it was that for sure. Couple of 18 year old steppers, who can dodge and weave and do the hokey pokey needed to be negated. I think this came up during the run of play earlier in the thread.

I also think Nicho kicking flat from the ad line was by design. Brought our line up who didn't chase as hard but they kept presenting straight lines to their back 5.

Seemed to be a lot about straight lines and connectivity in this one.

Last edited:
Ok, game over for me.
Two words.
Relentless
Pressure

At about the 44-50 min marks the Raiders started playing ad-lib one out stuff, they had no answers to how to play against us.

The other thing was how we brought Atkinson into the game.
He was playing a back seat until the game was without urgency. They them let him play a more natural game.
They eased him in, the same way they have been with Tricky.
I'm more and more liking OK and his role. It's simple but the simplicity which is needed.
Haze too but in a different way.
I see us releasing Royce.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Atko has really grown into the game. Seems he had a very simple assignment to start but he's done some good things.
Ok, game over for me.
Two words.
Relentless
Pressure

At about the 44-50 min marks the Raiders started playing ad-lib one out stuff, they had no answers to how to play against us.

The other thing was how we brought Atkinson into the game.
He was playing a back seat until the game was without urgency. They them let him play a more natural game.
They eased him in, the same way they have been with Tricky.
I'm more and more liking OK and his role. It's simple but the simplicity which is needed.
Haze too but in a different way.
Great minds think alike HAHAHA

OK's progression doesn't surprise me.

Weaponhead

Coach
Controlled, patient and very efficient performance. Built on the back of hard work. Tough carries from the backs. Defensive system was first rate. Covering hard and clear communication.

Hynes was excellent. Involved without overplaying. Not frantic.

Atkinson came into the game. Made his tackles and had a run first mindset.

Big minutes from OK. Held the middle together. Tommy had big carries and was a handful.

Willy K was strong and the trysaver was quality.

Nikora belted the shit out of Chevy. Bashed the kid every kick return.

Jesse is in a rich vein of form. Really focused and strong.

Good signs.

Controlled, patient and very efficient performance. Built on the back of hard work. Tough carries from the backs. Defensive system was first rate. Covering hard and clear communication.

Hynes was excellent. Involved without overplaying. Not frantic.

Atkinson came into the game. Made his tackles and had a run first mindset.

Big minutes from OK. Held the middle together. Tommy had big carries and was a handful.

Willy K was strong and the trysaver was quality.

Nikora belted the shit out of Chevy. Bashed the kid every kick return.

Jesse is in a rich vein of form. Really focused and strong.

Good signs.
A perfect post.

shaggs

Coach
Me either. Nowhere near. Still play within themselves for periods. Lot of opportunity to be taken over next month. Best gauge on where team is at is about to start
I like how we’ve played a completely different style to previous years.
Other teams will be wondering when the trick shots come out now, rather than sliding off and defending it easily by round 15.

Build consistency in defence and structure, earning the right to play wide

Weaponhead

Coach
The big step this team needed to take from the past 2 seasons was to become ruthless. Cold, efficient ruthlessness.

This is what we are starting to see. This team has always been able to score points. The defensive application and concentration to stick to the system is coming along well. The challenge now is to take it further. The coaching staff will be desperate to see how they take it Melbourne, Easts and Penrith.

Atkinson's passing in the trial was poor wasn't it? So not surprised to see him just run and not overplay. Seems Fitz likes to play the long, patient game and keep things very simple for rookies, whilst also keeping said rookies on ice and not throwing them in asap and having them burnt out after half a season and their careers hanging in the balance by the time they're 22 which seems to happen a lot.

Special K

Coach
I can see it. But the way the cap is balanced I think we keep Williams/Iro and make no other moves. Maybe they swap Hunt for someone else.

I can also see us going into next year with the deepest and most stacked middle.

We do need to find a back up half. If one goes down we are faced with Puru.

Quigs

Immortal
It was so noice to come home from the fantastic Emus game and sit down and watch the "From Start" kayo showing of the game without knowing the scores. (thanks for the kind offer anyway Bluey.... "May the gods be with you")

Stress free viewing is such a pleasant experience, I like it.

For the record the Mighty Emus bashed their former competition co-leaders The Rockhampton Brothers to now sit on top just like the Sharkies are.

Deadset anyone who has any involvement with a bush league comps and clubs must understand the hatred to any Brothers Club. Always thinking they are the born to rules.
The Emus smashed their silver spoons right up their arses. It was a joy to watch.

It was so noice to come home from the fantastic Emus game and sit down and watch the "From Start" kayo showing of the game without knowing the scores. (thanks for the kind offer anyway Bluey.... "May the gods be with you")

Stress free viewing is such a pleasant experience, I like it.

For the record the Mighty Emus bashed their former competition co-leaders The Rockhampton Brothers to now sit on top just like the Sharkies are.

Deadset anyone who has any involvement with a bush league comps and clubs must understand the hatred to any Brothers Club. Always thinking they are the born to rules.
The Emus smashed their silver spoons right up their arses. It was a joy to watch.
I'm thinking of coming up there for a game, and resting place.
Is The Tower still an option?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I can see it. But the way the cap is balanced I think we keep Williams/Iro and make no other moves. Maybe they swap Hunt for someone else.

I can also see us going into next year with the deepest and most stacked middle.

We do need to find a back up half. If one goes down we are faced with Puru.
We'll depends on how the Tricky situation pans out I guess. I liked what I saw from Atkinson albeit in a relatively non-pressure game. Happy to see more of him in the next few weeks. Where's Dykes at?