What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones II

Danish

Referee
Yeah the Essos and Kings Landing stuff is pretty dull at the moment. All the sh*t going down in the North is what they need more of.

What's really going to shit me is a few eps ago we had a goddamned army of zombies thousands strong led by a group of essentially invincible white walkers marching on Westeros, and it seems like we aren't even going to hear about it again this season.

Watching Tyrion drink and decide how to be mayor of some nothing shithole or Cersei and her bitch son sit on the hands for no apparent reason scared of a few dozen peasants in robes while they have the entire Lannister forces plus a freaking zombie giant demon comes across as utterly pointless with that level of awesomeness brewing

Apey

Staff member
If there is only the ~13 rumoured episodes left after season 6 it is a little concerning how slow some of these storylines are going but you'd also expect a hell of a lot to be happening in this season if that is truly the case. You can start to understand why it takes GRRM so long to write this shit when you have so many different story arcs going at once.

My worry would be that a lot of the characters arcs will be rushed and unfulfilled due to fart-assing about with some storylines; that the series will end up being a collection of great moments rather than an overall good story. There is going to be so much tying up to do I hope they have the time. I've hated the majority of Daenery's story and everything over that side of the world for many seasons now, I hope to god something of note happens over there in this season. I love Arya but her stuff feels like it is going incredibly slow too. Bran's was getting a bit that way in general (especially due to missing season 5) but obviously it's getting good now with the flashbacks.

Anyway today's episode wasn't bad, setting the scene and all that... how long will they string tower of joy out for?

Is anything going to actually happen this season? What another boring episode. How long until the walking dead starts again?

Parra

Referee
I concur with Danish and Apey. The big saver in this is the flashbacks from Bran. That was awesome and we need more. I'd love an whole episode of these. Dany getting either rescued or eaten by a dragon would be good as would zombie Jon falling off the wall. Sansa meeting Littlefinger should be good as well. Arya's story is moving along. The kings landing bits seem pointless.

Danish

Referee
I concur with Danish and Apey. The big saver in this is the flashbacks from Bran. That was awesome and we need more. I'd love an whole episode of these. Dany getting either rescued or eaten by a dragon would be good as would zombie Jon falling off the wall. Sansa meeting Littlefinger should be good as well. Arya's story is moving along. The kings landing bits seem pointless.

I actually think it would have been incredible if they had taken the GOT universe and expanded it out into multiple series based around each primary character, with special event episodes a few times per year where they combine. Essentially a Marvel Avengers style set up but for television. That way we could actually spend some quality time with each character and also cut down the primary series to only the important shit, instead of having 7 episodes of setting up stories for a couple eps of payoff.

At the very least I'd love for them to have the balls to devote an entire episode to each character, instead of evenly distributing every Ep equally amongst all the plots going on

McNulty

Juniors
So much whinging going on.

Clearly there are things in motion and they're being set up rather well.

I'm enjoying everyone being off doing their own thing and cannot wait to see them all come together.

----

I am surprised that the Umbers gave Rickon and Osher up. The whole scenario does not make sense to me. Why would they betray the starks for no reason. Or the alternative, why would they use Rickon and Osher in a ploy against the Bolton? Who are they in Cahoots with? Howland Reed?

In the season preview they showed 2 people skinned and being burnt on the cross. I am now thinking this is Osher and Rickon.

lzcopd6p1lqodyjz2cra.jpg

I agree though that the Tyrion arc is getting a little boring. I think this though will be the catalyst for them to abandon Mereen, and the other cities and head for westeros. Realising that they wont be able to govern all the cities at the same time.

Arya's arc is one of my favourite in the book and I quite like that they're taking their time with it.

saint.nick

Coach
It's amazing how nitpicky people are. You're predisposed to think that this season will be the best thing to ever happen to television drama, and you're then easily finding little flaws that undermine that expectation.

- Daenaery's slow Essos storyline isn't a show problem. It's a book problem.

- You can't just devote entire episodes to single characters. That's a ballsy move because it's a stupid move. Characters like Jon, Dany, Cersei, Tyrion and etc need to be in most episodes. Because they're main friggin' characters, not reoccurring characters. The 'fractured' style of the early episodes is just a necessary evil at the moment, but it's not even that annoying anyway.

- For f**k's sake, we will see the White Walkers again this season. The trailer makes that clear enough even if Ayra was watching it. If they were in most episodes, I best most people would complain that they've lost their sense of exciting mystique. People lose their shit when we see the white walkers exactly because they're a relatively rare occurrence.

The Umbers didn't really 'betray' the Starks for 'no reason', he made it clear that it was because of the Wildlings, although it is a very thin argument, and it's why I'm skeptical of the Umbers joining the Boltons. Why would the Umbers betray the Starks just because the Lord Commander, who is not a Stark and has absolutely nothing to do with the Starks anymore, let the Wildlings in? Sure, it does look like that Jon Snow will at the very least reassociate himself with House Stark after ending his Watch, but Smalljon doesn't know that. Greatjon is still alive in the books, and there's been no indication of them joining the Boltons. If it's really not a conspiracy, and the Umbers really are genuine about being turncoats and f**king the Starks over for such a frivolous reason, then I won't hesitate to call that shit writing. But for now I predict that the Umbers are conspiring with the Manderlys against the Boltons.

Last edited:

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I don't think that body burning is Osha or Rickon.
Look at the arms, they are quite muscular, and the body itself doesn't suit either of the two.

I'd be surprised if Ramsey did that, as Rickon is now the known heir to Winterfell. If he were to kill him or torture him, it'd be done in secrecy, not a public burning.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
In regards the episode

It was definately a building one. Tommen and the leader of the high sparrows - building, Rickon and Osha in winterfell - building (actually my favourite bit as it was so unexpected and is a game changer), Arya - building, Jon Snow - building. Pretty much what was to have been expected. Tyrions table scene with Grey Worm and the lady whose name espaces me currently was a bit of filler, but it was nice to see Varyss given his dues.

People are complaining about characters not dying? We've just come off Stannis and Myrcella going and already this season we have the Dorne situation, The Greyjoy situation and Roose Bolton.
Granted, you could make a case none of them were main characters, but I'd argue that Stannis was a main character, and Roose Bolton was one of the more important recurring characters. The Dorne scenario took me by surprise, moreso by the speed of it all happening.

This is by far the most anticipated show I'm watching and easily the best one.
Currently enjoying this season a whole lot more than I did at this point last season.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The quick cutting between characters any locations is what has made the book and tv series so succesful.
The problem i think is that they have the pacing wrong. Books one and 2 cover seasons 1 and 2, book 3 covers most of season 3 and 4 amd they've tried squeezing books 4 and 5 into 1 season. Dany in meeren has been dragged on unnecessarily, an important dorne story line ruined, greyjoys kept sidelined for to long. The armies of slaver bay should already be at meerens doorstep, with greyjoy in tow. Cersei ruling in Kingslanding has been rushed. They've tried to make cersei'a character sympathetic ( tv viewers might not believe this but she is a little worse in the books) instead of the power hungry bitch she truly is in the books. If they had a season of her bumbling and making mistakes, setting the whole of westoros into chaos then a lot of things would male more sense. Then they could of ended the season with here imprisonment by the faith which was her own doing. But because they've had to rush that storyline to have her walk of shame in season 5 (because seasons 5 lacked big moments) it means that a lot of what's happening in kings landing is now dull and seemingly pointless

Walt Flanigan

Referee
There's not much there that spoils the TV series. Cersei is just a lot worse in the book. Borderline insane after her father dies (burning down the tower of the hand).

DiegoNT

First Grade
There's not much there that spoils the TV series. Cersei is just a lot worse in the book. Borderline insane after her father dies (burning down the tower of the hand).

Having people sent to qyburn. Appointing idiots and yes man to her council, stuffing up every political decision because she thinks she's the equal to tywin. Making enemies of the tyrells, pissing of jamie and Kevan lannister so much they both leave the city. The funny thing is she gets confidence because she believes she has handled the dorne situation when in reality they may be one of her biggest threats. Creating the faith militant by accident because she was impatient to have tomnen's crowning ceremony and having the high septon assinated, plus her whoring around. But they've turned her into a character who will do anything for her children for the tv show

saint.nick

Coach
Not just out of love of children. Seriously, the way Tommen caved into the high sparrow suggests that he could begin to have Tommen wrapped around his finger, and Tommen and Cersei could conflict. In the red band trailer they had Tommen and Cersei 'facing off'.

saint.nick

Coach
I reckon Ned actually heard Bran in the flashback...but didn't understand him. There's a good theory going around that Bran actually went back to where Aerys killed Brandon and his grandfather, and the indiscernible 'whispers' in Aerys' head driving him mad were actually Bran trying to tell him to stop.