What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones II

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Jesus christ, that scene with Jon and Sansa. This has to be in the argument for the best season so far. Incredible stuff. I just can't believe the momentum this show can maintain. Easily the best thing on T.V in recent memory

butchmcdick

Immortal
Just a thought.

Only death can pay for life.

Jon has paid for his with 3. He's given back to the many faced God.

The undead motherf**ker that guard Cersi might be a good target if that's the case

Would bring the hound back into play too if he is indeed still alive

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Apparently the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is meant to be up there with LOTR & GOT. I haven't had time to start it but that is next on my list!!

Not sure if it is finished but there is 14 books in the series.

It's finished. Robert passed away before completing the story and Brandon Sanderson took over.

I finished wheel of time recently and I'm not sure I would bother to be honest. It has some interesting characters and the story is ok if not cliche. Worst part is that it's just way too long and Robert gets bogged down half way through. Sanderson takes over for the last three novels and it speeds back up.

Go for it if you are up for a long story but it's not something I'd do again.

Parra

Referee
Jesus christ, that scene with Jon and Sansa. This has to be in the argument for the best season so far. Incredible stuff. I just can't believe the momentum this show can maintain. Easily the best thing on T.V in recent memory

Who the hell is Sansa?

Never heard of the f**ker.

sandshark

Bench
Apparently the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is meant to be up there with LOTR & GOT. I haven't had time to start it but that is next on my list!!

thanks mcnulty. i have been thinking about picking up the first book.

PJ

First Grade

No it isn't.

Not even close.

I agree with McNulty. It started great but by book three was convoluted and slow. Sanderson picked it up for the finale.

If I had my time over I wouldn't bother starting it.

jim_57

Staff member
Impatiently waiting for next book.
Its been hard finding other books to read whilst waiting. Nothing comes close.
If there is, please tell me.

Mate I had this same dilemma once I finished the 5th ASOIAF book. I just ended up googling "best fantasy" series and looking through results. On to about my 5th series from this method now and haven't come across a bad one yet.

Maybe check out ' the first law' trilogy. Steers away from the 'swordsman hero and his wizard friend save everyone' cliche. Best yet the series is finished and not a huge, bogged down read.

sandshark

Bench
Mate I had this same dilemma once I finished the 5th ASOIAF book. I just ended up googling "best fantasy" series and looking through results. On to about my 5th series from this method now and haven't come across a bad one yet.

Maybe check out ' the first law' trilogy. Steers away from the 'swordsman hero and his wizard friend save everyone' cliche. Best yet the series is finished and not a huge, bogged down read.

I googled the exact same thing once I finished the 5th book. :lol:

Cheers, will have to check it out.

Game_Breaker

Coach
It does sound like a far fetched theory, but stranger things have happened.

Here's my theory

SUqzncx.jpg

gUt

Coach

It started out well but by book 7 or 8 it was f**king rubbish

elyod138

Bench
I prefer Robin Hobb and Ursula Le Guin's books over ASOIAF as far as fantasy goes.

Not fantasy but the Hyperion Cantos is also worth checking out, leagues ahead of ASOIAF IMO.

There are so many great series out there, ASOIAF is no where near the pinnacle of sci fi and fantasy IMO.

Gaiman's Sandman is another great one, it's a graphic novel series but it's deep and dense as f**k.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
The book I'd recommend after Dance of Dragons is Game of Thrones. You'd be surprise how much you pick up after each read through. Currently on my 4th read through. First read through yourself miss so much, for example you don't really pay attention to much said about Roose Bolton in the 1st to books because you don't realises how important he becomes much later, and roose isn't the only character/location/event that becomes important much later. so much slips through. The second read through i skipped the characters i didn't like, Sansa, brienne, jon snow in the 2nd book, arya in books 2 and 3 so still missed heaps. 3rd read through picked up so much more details in little throw away lines. Even in the 4th read through I'm picking so much i missed

McNulty

Juniors
https-blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com-uploads-card-image-90052-Game-of-Thrones-Armies-2-480x557.jpg

Wonder what the Bolton army in this graph is made up of & wish they sowed us the other northern houses

Latest posts