What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Thomas retires

obsulete

Juniors
http://walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/gareth-thomas-retires.html

Gareth Thomas retires

ual-code Wales international Gareth Thomas has retired from all forms

Wales dual-code international rugby player Gareth Thomas has announced today his retirement from all forms of rugby with immediate effect meaning that he will miss out on Wales' Four Nations campaign.
Thomas said: "I have listened and discussed this decision with many of my family and close friends. My mind has told me that the time to retire is now. If you can't give 100 percent to rugby then you can't do it justice. This is a sad day, but I know that my time has come to an end as a player. My passion for the amazing game will never end or leave me however.
"I do not know what lies ahead, but I feel the challenge of something different excites me more than another year of rugby.
"I would like to thank everyone I have been involved with in the sport. I could not have achieved it without any of them. I have great memories and great friends that I will keep for the rest of my life. I leave knowing I have done everything in my power to be the best person and player I could have ever been. And finally, I thank my parents for all their support and help throughout my career."
Wales Rugby League head coach Iestyn Harris said: "I've worked with Gareth for just under two years and the work and desire that he put into his transition from Union to League was a testament to his supreme professionalism. Even though he switched at a mature age his enthusiasm for information made his switch a huge success.
"Gareth's honesty and reasoning behind his decision were unselfish, it would have been easy for him to play the Wales internationals for his personal gain but he didn't want to take an opportunity off somebody else in our squad. I'm sure Alfie will be a huge success in whatever comes next in his life's journey, he certainly has the best wishes of myself and everybody involved in Wales Rugby League."

Evil Homer

Staff member
Bit of a stupid time to retire.
He's been in New Zealand covering the Rugby World Cup, and so hasn't been able to train with Wales at all. It's a bit unprofessional on his part but you can't blame the guy if his heart's not in it. He hasn't played since the start of July, it must be difficult to get yourself up for two or three final matches after so long off and spending time doing other things.

Last edited:

Indelible

Juniors
Why wouldn't you play three more games? Maybe he's got a Union based job coming up and was told it was conditional on him quitting League. :lol:

hutch

First Grade
It is a bit strange considering he would have had his first chance to play against England, nz and aus, some of the best rugby players on earth!

RedVee

First Grade
It would have been good for him to have the 4nations as a farewell tournament, like Lockyer.
Well, from a fans perspective anyway. I would also assume his presence would have been a good thing for some of the younger guys in the squad who I guess would likely not played at Wembley before a (hopefully) large crowd before.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Congratulations on a wonderful career. I wish Gareth all the best in his life after footy.