What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Widdop & James Roby

Can someone please explain to me why these two players are not in the starting line up for England.?

Not saying the current players are bad but Widdop is a premiership winning five eight with Melbourne and Roby showed when he came on in the game against France why he is so well respected.

From what I see England have next to no chance against NZ if they do not play the guys.

roughyedspud

Coach
roby is being eased back into games still...he's been injured most of the season...he'll start next week.

widdop will have to wait till next years 4nations to get a starting spot.....its just the way it is

deluded pom?

Coach
McIllorum isn't good enough for international football. Roby to start and Burrow to replace him later in the game.

Bovrick

Juniors
Personally wouldn't risk Burrow against a team that can attack, let alone starting against the best pack in the competition at hooker.

Springs

First Grade
Because the coach is an idiot and thinks Chase is a good player. England's mistakes would probably have been halved if Widdop was at 6 instead. Chase's game against France was embarrassing, killed the play so many times and his error rate was abysmal.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Would Widdop, with the same form and current talent, get a look in had he played the last few seasons at Saints or Wire?

The NRL is undoubtedly the best league in the world, but playing in it does not automatically make you a better player than what the superleague has to offer.

Agree with earlier sentiments - he'll get his chance. Lets not forget he's coming off the back of a hip dislocation

Parra Pride

Coach
Would Widdop, with the same form and current talent, get a look in had he played the last few seasons at Saints or Wire?

I doubt we'd even be having this conversation if he didn't play in a spine that also featured Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater.

shiznit

Coach
Because the coach is an idiot and thinks Chase is a good player. England's mistakes would probably have been halved if Widdop was at 6 instead. Chase's game against France was embarrassing, killed the play so many times and his error rate was abysmal.
The funny thing about that is I remember arguing with an English idiot some time ago about whether Chase is ahead of Foran as a kiwi half.

I couldn't believe anyone would rate him ahead of Foran.

This was of course before the little weed decided to turn out for the poms.

Ir worked out well for him though... There's no way in hell he would make the kiwis squad...

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I first saw Widdop playing for Victoria in Perth for the state u18 team, in the affiliated states comp.

He played halfback was was an utter standout. I have no doubt he can play if left in charge.

Hindyscrack

Bench

The NRL is undoubtedly the best league in the world, but playing in it does not automatically make you a better player than what the superleague has to offer.

Agree with earlier sentiments - he'll get his chance. Lets not forget he's coming off the back of a hip dislocation

Playing in the NRL should automatically put you in front of Chase... bloke is an absolute liability!

roughyed8

Juniors

This and the fact that the coach picked his captain 18 months before the tournament and has to stick with him no matter the players form!

LordLeague

Juniors
Problem is, nobody knows exactly how good Widdop is. For Melbourne he plays alongside Cronk/Slater/Smith and basically does what is required of him. He tackles hard and catches as passes as required by whatever set play has been called by Cronk or Smith. Widdop was definately off his game when he returned prematurely at the end of the NRL season. I think Macnamara has done the right thing not selecting him. Firstly Widdop has not proven himself as a playmaker in the NRL - He will get his chance next year at the Dragons. Secondly, he is recovering from a Hip dislocation and really looked out of sorts in the NRL when he returned during the finals series. I think the English fans need to understand that Widdop is still a somewhat unproven entity in the NRL and simply assuming he is the answer for England is a dangerous assumption. I'm not saying Chase IS the answer but just asking for caution regarding Widdop. His NRL "catch and pass to the Bellamy set play" credentials should not make him an instant selection in the role of England playmaker!

Lord League

Springs

First Grade
Lol you poms are so dumb. Saying Widdop is unproven because he plays with Cronk and Smith is as dumb as saying George Burgess is unproven because he plays with Sam and Inglis.
Widdop does extremely well in set plays and has a good kicking game. chase has played his best when he has caught and passed to Tomkins. Widdop would fit in perfectly with England's structure and sets. Yeah, he may only do what's required of him, but that would be a vast improvement over Chase who goes away from what's required of him and f**ks up the play.
Widdop at least deserved an 80 minute game. 15 minutes off the bench on his wrong side in two games was an insult.

Springs

First Grade

Considering he was first picked for England while a Storms under 20s player, I'd say yeah, he would be.