What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Widdop should stay on bench

LordLeague

Juniors
There seems to be a popular line of thinking that Widdop should start at 6 just because he plays 6 for the NRL minor premiers.

Widdop plays his role for Melbourne as he is coached to do. He basically catches, passes and defends as requried by Melbourne's well-drilled attacking and defensive patterns. He does not play a leadership role at the Storm where others routinely call the shots.

England need an organising no 6 to call the plays and lead the team around the field, reading the play and choosing the right options. The man for this job is Kevin Sinfield. I was an unbeliever but after the weekend I now think Sinfield is finally comfortable at this level and is capable of leading England to an unlikely tournament victory.

At Wembley on Saturday, one moment stood out. Widdop got his hands on the ball in an attacking position with a two man overlap outside of him. The players screaming for the ball included Jack Reed, Sam Tomkins and Ryan Hall. These guys know how to take advantage of an overlap and a bit of space. What did Widdop do? That's right, he panicked and put in a rushed kick to nobody.

Widdop at 6 for England would be a DISASTER.

England fans, be very careful what you wish for.

Lord League

JasonE

Bench
Yes i am still undecided about Widdop, he was piss weak on the weekend and his defence is suspect.

But Chase is struggling though so i was thinking maybe Widdop could slot in at #7 and bring Chase off the bench.

LordLeague

Juniors
I would seriously consider Maguire at half or even giving Rangi another chance. Rangi would have learned from his mistakes on the weekend and should be better for it. Widdop is better left on the bench to cover a few different positions.

If England can repeat their Wembley first half performance this weekend, they will put 30 points on the Kiwis.

Lord League

yakstorm

First Grade
Let's be honest, Widdop has only had one season at 6 for the Storm, a season he did extremely well, but naturally he still has a lot of learning to do.

Sinfield brings a lot of experience, and whilst he doesn't have the potential of Widdop, when it comes to Test footy you want someone out there who will do the right thing 90% of the time in your halves.

Widdop will get better, and he definitely should be considered a long term option for England, because his roles and responsibilities at the Storm will only increase over time, and thus he will grow as a player, but LL is right, he isn't there yet.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Having watched Widdop play during the one of the Storm's games minus their Origin players, I think you are selling him way too short.

During that game he displayed all the characteristics of a player who can lead a team around the park. In fact, at times he was toying with his opposition. Hardly 'playing a role'. You make playing in a well structured and disciplined environment, and doing that job well sound like a slight against him. Rather strange line of thinking I'd say.

You must ask yourself, would you seriously dismiss a player under the tutelage of Bellamy, Smith, Cronk and Slater and who is developing within the yoke of that level of professionalism?

I think it is fair to say that by the time Widdop has finished his career he will have a far more accomplished international career than Sinfield.

Sam H

Juniors
I think it is fair to say that by the time Widdop has finished his career he will have a far more accomplished international career than Sinfield.

Can only hope so.

I thought Sinfield was typically average again on Sunday morning. He's a solid player and he came up with some very nice touches but for a player with alot of experience and ability he makes some absolute shockers. That knock on in the second half when he was too busy turning around and yelling his team into position to see an offload bobbling towards his feet was a shocker though, as was the butchered try on the left in the first half. I can really only think of one good game he's had at this level -at hooker against the Roos in 2009. He might be the best option there for now, but not for long.

Pity because with a couple of strong years of international footy under his belt Sinfield would be a bit of a legend in the game given what he's accomplished at Leeds. And the fact that he hasn't scarpered off to union for the cash that has no doubt been thrown at him.

LordLeague

Juniors
Agreed. Widdop is an excellent long term prospect for England at 6. Right now though, he is not the man to spearhead England to victory this year. He will get his chance.

I was just trying to put some perspective to his performances for the Storm in the NRL. He will be the answer for England at 6 one day. This should happen when his game is ready, not just becasue he is 6 for Melbourne.

Lord League

Latest posts