What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gavin Miller - Immortal

millersnose

Post Whore
The greatest player ever to play for the sharks finally gets some recognition thanks zed

there are games i remember just watching in fascination at this guy and his ability to set up a break

as for toughness i remember him dropping 2 penrith front rowers whilst still holding on to the ball

not until brett kimmorleys 2004 efforts do i remember seeing a player endure such severe pain whilst playing on

from mr angry on the sharks den

Gavin Miller began his Sydney career as a 17 year old centre at Western Suburbs in 1977, having grown up in Goulburn NSW. In 1978 he moved to Eastern Suburbs, before making his career defining move to the Cronulla Sharks where he would play the rest of Sydney career. It was also at this stage that he was repositioned and settled the into second-row position.

His first couple of years at the Sharks were hard times for the club. Coaching changes were frequent and the Sharks star player Steve Rogers left for St. George. In 1983 he became the youngest ever captain in the Sydney competition at Cronulla. It was also the season Gavin appeared in the sky blue of New South Wales for the first time at Origin level. This was the season when Cronulla hit the wall financially and players were forced to take huge pay cuts. Miller became spokesman for the players and raised $22,000 for the club in sponsorship. The financial crisis that enveloped the club took its toll and alas in 1984 Gavin left Australia and signed for the British club Hull Kingston Rovers.

Having signed with Hull as a virtual unknown to the British Rugby League public, Gavin quickly showed his class, and the toughness that would become the trademark of his game in the usual position of lock forward. During his first season Gavin quickly gained a reputation as a tough tackler and a player who, despite being smallish for a forward, was very difficult to wrap up and a very handy ball-playing forward.

The following season would prove to be a great success for both Gavin and Hull, in a team full of great players Gavin was the stand out and won the prestigious 1985-86 Man of Steel and First Division player of the year. Towards the end of the season Gavin was playing injured and virtually on one leg, he could not inspire his team to a Challenge Cup Final victory, Rovers losing 15-14 to Castleford. Unfortunately injury would rule out Gavin for most of the next season with Hull.

Gavin returned to Australia and the Sharks in 1987 and immediately made an impact Sydney competition, quickly becoming a moving target for opposing forwards due to his excellent ball playing abilities. Opposing teams quickly realized the importance of Gavin to the Sharks chances, thus he was a constant target for late foul play. I cannot remember a player who received as many late shots as Gavin, to his credit he always got up and played on.

The season of 1988 would prove to be Gavin’s best thus far, winning his first player of the year Dally M award, and playing a leading role against the Kiwis in the World Cup Final. He struck up what turned out to be a very successful combination with Barry Russell the pocket rocket halfback for the Sharks. Cronulla finished up Minor Premiers, but would end up to bowing out to the talented Balmain side. Gavin also returned to Hull for one last season, it would prove rather unsuccessful due to the injuries the club sustained during the season.

The following year was the zenith of Gavin playing career, he again won the Dally M player of the year award and added the Rothmans medal to his trophy cabinet. He was honoured with captaining the NSW State of Origin team for the series; unfortunately NSW lost all three games, with Alan Langer the main destroyer. Gavin would gain his revenge on the Queenslanders later in the season, with the white hot Sharks crushing the Broncos in the play off for the last available finals spot, Miller and Russell were the demolishers.

Gavin ended his illustrious playing career with the Sharks in 1992.

Anyone who witnessed him at his peak, crabbing at a 45 degree angle, slipping incisive passes, embarking on a dummying side-stepping charge, or somehow getting up from a blatant late shot will not forget Gavin Miller, nor his tough as teak attitude.

Gavin Miller – Goulburn Sporting Hall of Fame inductee, Hull Hero, Rugby League Legend, Cronulla Immortal.

black_dot

Juniors
An excellent piece on a wonderful Shark and one of the best ever players in my book.

One small thing though, the author has erred in stating that Miller is a Hull Hero. Miller played for Hull Kingston Rovers, as opposed to Hull FC. By saying he is a Hull Hero would be to suggest on a UK website that Adrian Morely came over here to play for the roosters and as such was a Sydney Hero.

Half of Hull will certainly worship Miller. The other half would detest him purely due to the colour he played in !

It is akin to calling Wayne Rooney a Manchester Hero.

I apologise for being pedantic and it isn't my intention to criticise the piece, it's fantastic.

et

Juniors
Yep, a great article by Mr Angry. One other point - he returned to the Sharks in the middle of 1986, not 1987.

Marty Moose

Juniors
I agree great article, but it was Paul Bishop not Barry Russel who played the half back position in the play off with Brisbane

coolumsharkie

Referee
In-a-rage said:
Marty Moose said:
I agree great article, but it was Paul Bishop not Barry Russel who played the half back position in the play off with Brisbane

ur joking me aren't u!

I doubt it was Paul Bishop :lol: He didn't feature in any Sharks success.

Marduk

Juniors
In-a-rage said:
Marty Moose said:

ur joking me aren't u!

It was Bishop. The Sharks side for that match was,

J. Docking
A. Wilson
A. Ettingshausen
M. McGaw
J. Davidson
M. Speechley
P. Bishop
G. Picken
M. Porter
D. Lee
D. Stains
G. Miller
D. Hatch

G. Coleman
A. Pappas
C. Quinn
D. Harris

imasharkie

Coach
J. Docking
A. Wilson
A. Ettingshausen
M. McGaw
J. Davidson
M. Speechley
P. Bishop
G. Picken
M. Porter
D. Lee
D. Stains
G. Miller
D. Hatch

G. Coleman
A. Pappas
C. Quinn
D. Harris

Ahhh memories.

Nullajet

Juniors
geez thats harsh on paul bishop..i thought he went okay!

But yep....GAVIN MILLER!! What a legend!

all the skills toughness and versatility a footballer requires...

I miss those ball playing forwards!! :(

The best thing about Gavin Miller was his know-no-fear attitude.

He'd run into the opposition knowing he'd get smashed, but draw in 2-3 defenders and get a pass away. Russel, ET & McGaw did the rest.

Great stuff.

Marty Moose

Juniors
His short kicking game was brilliant, especially when Barry Russel got on the end of them.

And yes Paul Bishop had an absolute blinder on that decider at Parramatta stadium.

Also if I remember correctly the Sharks got a letter from the ARL thanking them for knocking out Brisbane

gunnamatta bay

Referee
The real tragedy was his last game for the club in reserves. I was at the game and surpised by the low key way he went out. No fanfare at all. It was as if the club didn't give a stuff. He just sort of rode off into the sunset.