What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Alintheeast

Juniors
I’ll pull on my contrarian hat on, I always reckoned the 1990 side was better than 91 and the 2000 side was better than 01 or 03. 90 should have won Brandy’s boot failed and coming back from 20 points down in 00 was awesome. Just losing to 2 great sides at their peaks and with no luck stopped us.
However if our 10th International Rep Jarrod Sammut had played in 00 we would have won. Keep hoping Ivan will give him the 14 Jersey for the ICC.

I’ll pull on my contrarian hat on, I always reckoned the 1990 side was better than 91 and the 2000 side was better than 01 or 03. 90 should have won Brandy’s boot failed and coming back from 20 points down in 00 was awesome. Just losing to 2 great sides at their peaks and with no luck stopped us.
However if our 10th International Rep Jarrod Sammut had played in 00 we would have won. Keep hoping Ivan will give him the 14 Jersey for the ICC.
While all our premiership sides have been great for community and club, our current run of hunger and desire really started at half time in the 2020 GF loss to Melbourne.

Down by plenty but came home like steam trains to learn more about beating the top teams in that 40 minutes than the whole season of 2020.

Player maturity at very young ages speaks volumes in itself to the program Ivan and his staff have created in 5 years.

Cudos to our "2nd stringers" who have made the top line-up work for their position over this time, it's where the real coaching is done. And all with no spotlight or fanfare.

It's a pleasure to have watched this club evolve since 1967, to the quality it now, and always will be.

Whino

Bench

‘In rare air’: Is this Penrith team the greatest the game has seen?​

Christian Nicolussi, Billie Eder

9–11 minutes

Best team to come out of Penrith? Try the greatest rugby league team. Like, ever.
That was the bold declaration made by a few good judges in the opening five minutes of the latest documentary, Undisputed, which followed the Panthers’ charge to last year’s third straight title.
Blue-collar hero Royce Simmons, a Penrith hall-of-famer and 1991 premiership winner, says: “I’m not a big fan of judging sides from the past because life in general, everything gets better. It’s how it is. Your car gets better, food gets better, everything gets better.

“Footballers get better. This is easily Penrith’s best-ever side, and maybe the best side out of all the football that has been played.”
Peter Sterling won four p
remierships with Parramatta in the 1980s, but was prepared to declare the current western Sydney neighbours the real champions if they could complete the title four-peat.
It is hard comparing champions from different eras. Winx versus Phar Lap. Michael Jordan or LeBron James. Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods. Taylor Swift versus Madonna. But the Panthers have achieved their run in the salary cap era, unlike other clubs on this list.
As Penrith flew out for England on Friday for the World Club Challenge, plenty of rival clubs are wondering when this brilliant team consisting of Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai, James Fisher-Harris, Dylan Edwards, Isaah Yeo, Liam Martin and Brian To’o will start to slow down.

A fourth title is not beyond them.

Cleary is arguably the best player in the NRL, but at 26 has not been around long enough to appreciate what some of the great teams of the past were able to achieve.
Like St George’s 11 straight premierships from 1956 to 1966. Or South Sydney’s four titles that should have been five had they not lost the “unlosable” decider – and penalty count – against Balmain in 1969.
Cleary was certainly not around to witness similar memorable reigns by Manly and the Roosters in the 1970s, Parramatta and Canterbury in the 1980s, nor Canberra and Brisbane in the 1990s.
“The one thing I do know is we will always be known as the first team in the NRL era to win the ‘three-peat’,” Nathan Cleary says.

“A lot of hard work goes into it, and you also need a bit of luck.”
This masthead headed west to chat with Ivan during the week to get his thoughts on where this side rates among the greats.
Unlike his superstar son, Ivan grew up admiring the Eels and Bulldogs, started playing when Manly came into a purple patch of form, and finished when the Roosters were “top of the pops”.

Since he started coaching in the NRL in 2006, Cleary said Melbourne had been the one constant.
But coming back to his own backyard, and his thoughts on where his current team rate in the history, or since the Dragons’ decade-long reign finished?

“It’s hard to compare eras. I don’t know. All I know is we are in rare air,” Cleary said.
“We’re very proud of our achievements. If we could have been spoken about in the same sentence [as some of the great teams], that would have been beyond our wildest dreams. Not our wildest dreams because it was a dream, but even the fact we’re talking about it now, it’s quite surreal.
“The consistency over the last four years is what I’m most proud of.
“This year is another opportunity to try and win another premiership. It’s a new comp, new circumstances, new players, that’s how we look at it.”

Pressed on the fact Penrith had continued to win when forced to farewell Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau, Kurt Capewell, Api Koroisau – and now Stephen Crichton and Spencer Leniu – because of salary cap pressure, Cleary looked for the positives.
“Our charter as a club is to bring players through, and while I never want to lose all those guys, it keeps our charter moving,” Cleary said.
“It gives you that little bit of adversity, which is always motivating.
“There needs to be new blood in the team. There will be guys this year in the team who have never won a comp, or never played in a grand final.

“I would prefer it if we could keep all those guys, but maybe we wouldn’t have some of the players we’ve had the last couple of years, and they wouldn’t have had their shot.
“When you achieve so much, it’s sad to see guys go, but now we’re used to it a bit more, and you actually feel good knowing they [departing players] are heading off to help their families [financially] and chasing new challenges. That’s what it is all about really.”
Souths legend Bob McCarthy, Parramatta’s sharp-shooter Mick Cronin, Canterbury’s David ‘Cement’ Gillespie and Raiders royalty Mal Meninga won multiple competitions, and while not prepared to declare Penrith the best ever, they could all see something in the Panthers that made their own teams special.

South Sydney 1967 to 1971​

McCarthy played in three of Souths’ four premierships and, if not for the Roosters and Manly tearing apart their star-studded roster, could have won a lot more silverware.
The tough forward, who maintains his beloved Bunnies are the only team that can threaten Penrith this year, said the Souths teams he played in shared a great camaraderie, something he also sees with the Panthers.
“Had we not lost the unlosable grand final against Balmain in 1969, we would have won all six grades – we had depth, and now this Penrith team has so much depth,” McCarthy said.
“They lose a player, then they pull someone up and they play the same. I won’t call them the greatest.

“They will certainly be hard to beat. I really think we [Souths] are the only side that can give it to them.”

Parramatta 1981 to 1984​

Cronin, who admitted the Eels’ own premiership run ended because of age and injuries, said of the Penrith debate: “You don’t compare champions, you just recognise them – this Penrith team are a champion side.”

“It was just a great side, guys like [Ray] Price, [Peter] Sterling, [Brett] Kenny, [Steve] Ella, [Eric] Grothe, and even though we were beaten in 1984, and lost in the finals in 1985, our desire to win never left,” said Cronin, a brilliant goal-kicking centre who now runs a pub in Gerringong.

“It’s probably why we won in 1986. But by then, injuries and age had started to catch up with us.”

“They are the best team going around by a fair bit at the moment. They always have that bit extra.

“But the best ever?” Cronin asks.

“We’re talking almost 40 years apart. You don’t compare champions, you just recognise them – this Penrith team are a champion side.”

Canterbury 1984 to 1986​

Gillespie won two premierships with the Dogs – he missed the 1986 grand final after losing a finger working as a garbage collector in the final week of the regular season – and later played in three straight deciders with Manly.

“With those teams, there was a lot of chemistry and respect for each other,” he said. “You galvanise as a group because everyone is after you when you’re successful, and there’s a target on your back. That can make you stronger. It did with Canterbury and Manly.
“It’s hard to compare eras, but Penrith are right up there. They are a great side. The way they won that grand final last year, they were down and out, but they found something, and that’s what the great sides do. They’re definitely in the mix when it comes to being the greatest.”

Canberra 1989 to 1991​

Meninga, now the Australian coach who has worked with several Panthers, said his almighty Green Machine believed in the systems in place at the time, and it was the same story now in Sydney’s far west.

“They are a talented footy team, they’re well coached, but they have a belief in their system – regardless of who plays and in what position, they know they can win, and that’s exactly how we felt,” Meninga said.

“They believe in their blueprint and attention to detail that goes into their preparation.

“There’s Nathan, Jarome, Dylan Edwards, Isaah, Liam Martin, they’re two front-rowers ... there’s no doubt they will be in the hunt for four in a row.”

It still feels like yesterday Cleary was presented a 50th birthday cake after training on a warm March day three years ago.

We caught up with him at the time, asking if his birthday wish was to avoid becoming the next Brian Smith, a talented coach, but also someone who went 601 games without ever winning a title.

“It’s funny how it all works,” said Cleary, when reminded of that interview.

“It took me 14 years to win a minor premiership, which I think is really valuable.

“Nobody remembers them, but they’re so hard to win. It shows you’ve been consistent.

“It took me 15 years to win a comp. It’s not like it’s an overnight success.

“I love this group. I love turning up to work each day. I’ve had the taste of winning, and I like it.”

UNDISPUTED three-part docuseries on Penrith’s 2023 season is airing free and exclusively on 9Now. Episode one is available from noon on Friday, February 16.

A good read :thumbsup:

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Wrong
The prick will be back.

ttps://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/buzz-rothfield-paul-kent-to-return-to-nrl360-and-columnist-duties-as-part-of-fox-leagues-vegas-extravaganza/news-story/29dbb87b58466ff75d2402e099b2e12c?amp&nk=de360a388021a84f7413920be2d7f618-1708132743
He must have some serious dirt on the higher ups at NewsCorp

Bob

Juniors

Taylan May’s return from injury at the World Club Challenge following carnivore diet​

Forgotten flyer Taylan May has revealed how a number of Panthers stars have taken up the carnivore diet in a bid to distinguish themselves from their NRL competition.

Matt Encarnacion

2 min read
February 17, 2024 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...a3aa88a48e3baa2cd5d77635d8643?amp#share-tools

NRL: Penrith Panthers preparations for the World Club Challenge against Wigan without Jarome Luai.
It’s the primal diet that’s keeping Penrith hungry for more premierships.

Forgotten flyer Taylan May has revealed how a number of Panthers stars have taken up the carnivore diet in a bid to distinguish themselves from their NRL competition.
And it could end in a rugby league dynasty seen only once since 1908.
With all eyes on the league’s push into Las Vegas, the reigning premiers on Friday depart for a more familiar destination in England for their World Club Challenge against Wigan.
And on the plane will be May, who has yet to play since suffering an ACL injury in a corresponding loss to St Helens at the foot of the mountains almost a year to the day.
“It’s crazy how it’s ended up, my first game against an England team,” May said.
“I don’t think I’ve got any demons to exorcise. I’m 100 per cent ready to go.”
May resurfaces a different player to the rookie who stormed onto the scene in 2022.
Not only will the 22-year-old switch from wing to the centres, but he claims his body has been transformed by an altered carnivore diet heralded by influencer Paul Saladino.
Taylan May in action for the Panthers. Picture: NRL Photos

Taylan May in action for the Panthers. Picture: NRL Photos
The unorthodox eating plan, which has also been taken up by centre partner Izack Tago and talented youngster Jesse McLean, consists of only meat and fruit.
“We talk about it with the club, but them seeing our results ... it’s probably the fittest I’ve been. It’s the fittest Tago and Jesse has been as well,” May said.
“You know your own body. In saying that, it’s what works for me and us. It’s not like we’re going against the club. It’s just different. People aren’t used to it, but it works for us.”
Tago is no stranger to non-traditional forms of health and wellbeing.
In the lead-up to last year’s dramatic grand final triumph, it was revealed the 21-year-old doesn’t use modern medicine, opting to avoid surgery for a pectoral injury.
“I wouldn’t say it’s weird, it’s just different,” May said of the diet.
“We all follow this guy that we watched on YouTube and done our own research about it. It’s just meat and fruits, mainly organic stuff, knowing where our food comes from.
“We get it from the farm.
“I do crave sometimes some things. We do have one day we’ll eat something normal, one day of the week. It’s hard, but in saying that, you reap the rewards from it. You feel healthier.”
Terrell and Taylan on Terrell's debut last year.

Terrell and Taylan on Terrell's debut last year.
May is understood to have edged out new signing Paul Alamoti for the centre spot vacated by grand final hero Stephen Crichton.
His return from injury comes amid negotiations on a contract extension with the club, despite suggestions May could leave to play alongside brothers Terrell and Tyrone.
Terrell is also off-contract at the Sydney Roosters, while Tyrone, who was part of Penrith’s 2021 title team, is currently with Hull KR in the Super League.
“I think it can happen, eventually. But right now my focus is just worrying on this year. I’m not too focused about that at the moment,” Taylan said.
“It is a goal. I think it’d be everyone’s goal to try and play with their brothers.
“I’ll focus on this year and see how I go from there.”

After watching week 1 of the "official" pre season matches, depth was the only thing that interested me.

While most clubs as usual didn't play the top players or only did for half a game, it was pleasing to see that Parramatta, Manly, Cronulla and Melbourne still have rubbish 2nd tier players and will struggle with a couple of top 17 injuries.

Surprisingly, Newcastle and Canterbury showed some promise with their second stringers.

I can't remember what game it was, but about 90 seconds in and the second stringer playing dummy half had made no more than 3 passes and Michael Ennis announced, "the young hooker is going great and looks like a real prospect".... So nothing has changed there....

Last edited:

Goonji

Juniors

How pen, paper and intricate planning make Penrith champions in the clutch

ByDan Walsh and Adam Pengilly

February 23, 2024 — 5.00am

“People say, ‘you can’t train for those moments’. But we actually are training for it.”

Jarome Luai’s busted shoulder kept him off the field for the crescendo of the greatest grand final comeback in history.

But he was right there with Nathan Cleary and the rest of Penrith’s premiership-winners for the pivotal training sessions that not only sparked the Panthers’ stunning revival against Brisbane, but now come full circle – albeit 17,000 kilometres away and a year later.

Penrith’s bid for the one trophy missing from the cabinet takes them to Wigan on Sunday morning (AEDT) for the World Club Challenge.

Almost 12 months ago to the day, they were humbled by St Helens, the 7-1 outsiders who prevailed 13-12 in golden point on Penrith’s own turf.

Cleary and the Panthers never got a look in during that frantic finish. A few weeks later, the No.7 was quietly kicking himself for shanking a 45-metre, two-point field goal attempt against the Broncos in round one.

He followed up by nailing a similar shot – and one of the most audacious plays of the 2023 season – a few weeks later against Parramatta, but the premiers still lost.

So with a rare week off during last year’s finals series, Penrith players and coaches began preparing for similar scenarios, first with pen, paper and notebooks, before tactics and strategies were taken onto the training paddock.

“It’s funny in hindsight looking back, some of the things we trained for did eventuate,” Cleary told this masthead of the tactical planning sessions captured in Nine’s Undisputed documentary, which charts Penrith’s rise to a historic third title.

“[That session] helped a lot. Mentally, being able to think about it and the way you react if you do get in that situation.

The late-game scenarios Penrith plot out in Nine’s Undisputed documentary.

Luai adds: “Putting yourself under that mental stress and the game simulated type situations – nothing can beat that. That’s something coach (Ivan Cleary) has brought in throughout the years and we’ve always done it. We nailed those moments when people don’t see it.”

Trailing 24-8 with less than 20 minutes remaining in a grand final is the stuff of rugby league nightmares.

But then so is the other side of that contest, and the four line dropouts Adam Reynolds – one of the finest kickers of the modern era – tried to execute that night.

The first led to Mitch Kenny’s try from a Herbie Farnworth bat-down to no-one. The second, a Cleary penalty goal at the 28-minute mark, and the third sailed out on the full thanks to a sharp take and match awareness by the Panthers half.

Nathan Cleary pulls off a perfectly timed, and placed, catch from an Adam Reynolds kick.

Reynolds’ fourth and final drop punt could just have easily turned the game in the 76th minute. But Liam Martin managed to reel in a kick which was tracking for the sideline and stop a potential Broncos turnover.

“The week of the grand final, we did a half-hour session just on short dropouts and short kick-offs,” Cleary said.

“We weren’t good at it during the year. We ended up scoring eight points off their short dropouts and got back every one. It’s funny how things like that work. The coaching staff know what they’re doing.

“It’s crazy how it works out. It helps with your mental state around it. Training is a bit different with intensity and scenarios, particularly in a grand final. But being able to think clearly when you get to those stages [is very helpful].”

So, was there satisfaction a plan came to fruition in the biggest moment of the season?

“A little bit,” Ivan Cleary said. “We’ve been doing [scenario training] for years.

“Sometimes, it’s a hard thing to fit into your schedule. That’s the beauty of a week off: you get a little bit of extra time to do stuff like that. You can do it in training as much as you want, but it’s a much bigger advantage if you’ve got guys who have been in those situations.”

Goonji

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/di...-grand-final-masterclass-20240222-p5f6uw.html

Did NRL rule tweaks help Nathan Cleary put on grand final masterclass?

Andrew Webster

Chief Sports Writer

February 23, 2024 — 5.38am

Last Friday, ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys was on stage at North Queensland’s season launch in Townsville, riffing about the NRL and all the wonderful things it’s done in the last few years.

When host Danika Mason asked him about the raft of rule changes introduced on his watch, V’landys told the room how the six-again rule for ruck and offside infringements had saved the game from the dreaded wrestle.

By doing so, he argued, the NRL had reintroduced fatigue into the contest, thereby allowing “brilliant” players to work their magic against tired defences late in the game.

“Someone said to me, ‘Imagine if we had the six-again [rule] with Johnathan Thurston’,” V’landys said. “Imagine how much better he would’ve been. You bring in Reece Walsh, Kalyn Ponga … Even [Nathan] Cleary in the grand final. If that fatigue hadn’t come in the last 15 to 16 minutes, it might have been a different result.”

Sitting in the crowd, Thurston’s immediate thought wasn’t about his career but that of another Cowboys superstar who regularly shredded defences.

“I thought, ‘Imagine how Matthew Bowen would have gone’,” Thurston chuckled when contacted.

V’landys’ remark about Cleary, however, was received differently when it found its way to Manchester, where Penrith are preparing for the World Club Challenge against Wigan at DW Stadium on Sunday morning (AEDT).

The Panthers’ miraculous win in last year’s grand final against Brisbane, when they turned around a 16-point deficit in the final 18 minutes, can be attributed to many things, but a set restart isn’t one of them — because there was only one.

It came in the 75th minute, when Broncos centre Herbie Farnworth was pinged for holding down Penrith back-rower Liam Martin on the first tackle from a line dropout.

Farnworth had flopped on top of Martin for a nanosecond too long, prompting a chorus of boos from Panthers fans. You see players do the same thing in every set of six, in every game, every round, with impunity.

Four tackles later, Cleary darted inside against the tired Broncos’ defence to score the match-winner, handing Penrith their third consecutive premiership and earning himself a second Clive Churchill Medal.

The NRL argues the very threat of a set-restart hovering over every ruck has sped up the play-the-ball and therefore created more fatigue, but I dare say those Broncos defenders were tired because it was a grand final in which referee Adam Gee barely blew his whistle before Cleary tortured them in the

Is the game vastly better to watch since the six-again rule was introduced midway through 2020?

It is, but generational players like Thurston, Cleary and many others would have revelled in any era, under any rules. That’s what class is. That’s what sets them apart from the rest.

In a column for the Herald in May 2020, Phil Gould explained how fatigue wasn’t created with faster play-the-balls. “Fatigue is caused by having more play-the-balls in the game, not so much by having faster play-the-balls in the game,” he wrote.

To that end, things have improved. On average, there were 279 play-the-balls per match last season. In 2019, there were 270. Ruck speed was marginally faster, too. The game certainly feels faster. The last three Origin series have produced, arguably, the fastest matches ever played.

There’s no dispute that wrestling techniques involving increasingly stronger and fitter players were squeezing the life out of attacking teams and kudos to the NRL for trying to do something about it.

“The wrestle did affect how I played,” Thurston said. “I would have to rely on a couple of players – like Matt Scott, Jason Taumalolo, Jimmy Tamou – for a quick play-the-ball to create that ruck speed for me to play off. There’s a lot more fatigue now, but the wrestle is still there.”

He’s right. Three defenders still come into most tackles: two up top, one collapsing on the legs below, slowly bringing the ball-carrier to the ground like they’re putting a baby into his cot as the defensive line resets.

The difference now is a set-restart allows the attacking team to work over those three defenders again, providing playmakers more time and space on the next play because there’s less inside pressure.

What frustrates fans is the subjective nature of those calls, like Farnworth’s indiscretion in the dying minutes of the grand final, which was the right call but one that could’ve been made countless times earlier in the match.

Asked to clarify his remarks about Cleary, V’landys told me: “You don’t need six-agains to speed up the ruck. It was never going to be used a hundred times a match.”

As for perceptions he is taking credit for the players’ performances, he said: “You know me better than that. That is certainly not the perception I want to give. It’s about bringing the great players to the fore.”

How much faster can the game get? The NRL has struck the right balance with ruck speed, although Thurston – ever the crafty playmaker — reckons there’s another way to introduce fatigue. “Imagine if we could speed up the Bunker,” he said. He wasn’t laughing.

Pomoz

Bench
Sat in a cafe in Phuket, watching episode two of Undisputed. Great to watch if you are a Panthers fan, it really fires you up. It did make me sad though. The fantastic family feel to the club is slowly being destroyed by the salary cap. Romey is such a positive, energising person he will be sorely missed. Can we we keep the family feel going?

If the club can maintain that family culture, whilst constantly losing key players, it will place Ivan in rarefied air as one of the greatest coaches ever. When you look at dynasties created in other sports, the key difference that makes the three peat even more amazing, is the salary cap.

Alex Ferguson had a blank cheque book to go out and sign another superstar to help build his dynasty. Jack Gibson could sign who he wanted. Tim Sheens built a roster before the salary cap started to bite. Bennett had Andrew Gee in charge of brown paper bags, a role not answerable to the NRL In spite of an unexplained $300,000 entry in the published accounts. To this day he has never answered questions on what he did, “It was repaid”, said the club, nothing to see here.

We have had to put up with signing people like the “Weak Gutted Dog”TM, or, Cronulla cast offs like Sorro and bringing in juniors with no experience. Ivan has had to turn water into wine. He will have to do it again this year with Schneider, Cole and Henry.

I keep thinking “surely we can’t do it again?”. Four? Four, can we do it??????

Sat in a cafe in Phuket, watching episode two of Undisputed. Great to watch if you are a Panthers fan, it really fires you up. It did make me sad though. The fantastic family feel to the club is slowly being destroyed by the salary cap. Romey is such a positive, energising person he will be sorely missed. Can we we keep the family feel going?

If the club can maintain that family culture, whilst constantly losing key players, it will place Ivan in rarefied air as one of the greatest coaches ever. When you look at dynasties created in other sports, the key difference that makes the three peat even more amazing, is the salary cap.

Alex Ferguson had a blank cheque book to go out and sign another superstar to help build his dynasty. Jack Gibson could sign who he wanted. Tim Sheens built a roster before the salary cap started to bite. Bennett had Andrew Gee in charge of brown paper bags, a role not answerable to the NRL In spite of an unexplained $300,000 entry in the published accounts. To this day he has never answered questions on what he did, “It was repaid”, said the club, nothing to see here.

We have had to put up with signing people like the “Weak Gutted Dog”TM, or, Cronulla cast offs like Sorro and bringing in juniors with no experience. Ivan has had to turn water into wine. He will have to do it again this year with Schneider, Cole and Henry.

I keep thinking “surely we can’t do it again?”. Four? Four, can we do it??????
You are 100% right. Not to diminish Cleary’s body of work but the most amazing dynasty of modern times has been the Bellich/Brady Patriots; the NFL has not only a salary cap but also a draft and a schedule system that is designed to bring balance.

Munky

Coach
You are 100% right. Not to diminish Cleary’s body of work but the most amazing dynasty of modern times has been the Bellich/Brady Patriots; the NFL has not only a salary cap but also a draft and a schedule system that is designed to bring balance.

The Patriots weren't exactly clean during the dynasty.

The balanced schedule was nullified by Billy B ensuring his division opponents were weak. Six gimme games a year made it easy to get a top 2 seed and a week off in the play offs.

That said still a ridiculous run.

The current Chiefs are also pretty nuts. Four SBs in five years despite shedding serious talent due to the cap.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Teams losing on purpose makes any comp far weaker

Iamback

Coach
You don't play every team in the NFL, As @Munky said if you play in a bum division then you will be set up well for the playoffs - Well unless you are the Cowboys.

NBA is probably the better one to use, A few dynasties in there too