What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

soc123_au

Staff member
Point being, it had nothing to do with Latrell. It was a completely different game. Only thing is he is Indigenous too. He doesn’t need to guilt the judiciary into a harsher penalty.
I dont disagree that players shouldn't be commenting. I'm just saying I understand why they are. It's in the news cycle, social media etc etc. What Trell, Hynes etc have to say about it wont have much bearing on the outcome.

Would he come out saying the same things if a White player was the victim?
The thing we need to remember is it isn’t about a single word; it’s about a lifetime of torment and discrimination that goes along with the word.

So I am white and if someone called me a monkey I would be shocked and saddened. But because it would be the first time in my life I had been insulted in that way those feelings would a) not be as deep initially and b) quickly pass. For someone like Ezra, those comments could/seemingly have awoken feelings and insecurities that have been imposed on him over a lifetime of casual and overt racism.

That doesn’t make Ezra any less tough (I’d argue the opposite). It also means it is hard for him to ‘leave it on the field’ because he is carrying that around with him all the time (he also shouldn’t have to leave it on the field; yet again league blaming the victim). It is also why I have no issues with the likes of Latrell and Tuquiri coming out and saying what they are saying; this incident has also triggered them in a way I can never understand.

Kilkenny

Coach
The thing we need to remember is it isn’t about a single word; it’s about a lifetime of torment and discrimination that goes along with the word.

So I am white and if someone called me a monkey I would be shocked and saddened. But because it would be the first time in my life I had been insulted in that way those feelings would a) not be as deep initially and b) quickly pass. For someone like Ezra, those comments could/seemingly have awoken feelings and insecurities that have been imposed on him over a lifetime of casual and overt racism.

That doesn’t make Ezra any less tough (I’d argue the opposite). It also means it is hard for him to ‘leave it on the field’ because he is carrying that around with him all the time (he also shouldn’t have to leave it on the field; yet again league blaming the victim). It is also why I have no issues with the likes of Latrell and Tuquiri coming out and saying what they are saying; this incident has also triggered them in a way I can never understand.
I understand all of it I really do.

But I grew up in High School at Kingswood High as a ten pound Pom, it wasn’t easy you had to survive with your fists otherwise the bullying would have been overwhelming. Same experience for the Mediterranean Descendants, Italian or Greek immigrants. Just the way it was.

It’s a very different world now that’s for sure.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

If you're white it wouldn't mean anything though

Chins get the wins

First Grade
As I said in the thread on the main board I grew up in the only white family in a Housing Commission block of units. I copped "white dog or white merkin daily". The f**kwits who think only white people can be racist are so f**king uneducated.

Spencer deserves 6 weeks and he's a scummy human or at best just a f**king dumb merkin.

Kilkenny

Coach
If you're white it wouldn't mean anything though
In California they have a committee looking into to paying reparations to African Americans who have never been slaves, to be paid for by persons who never owned slaves all in a State that never had slavery. As the joke follows it’s kind of like paying child support to a women you’ve never met nor had sex with. Common sense is no longer a valuable trait or personal attribute. It’s all rather sad how common sense in society has been hijacked by the extreme left.

In 2024 the current world we live in then sure what is alleged to have been said by Spencer is unacceptable and as it stands may be punished accordingly. Is it worthy of 6 8 12 weeks suspension or more I’ll leave others to decide.

Of all the banter on a football field is it possible to racily vilify a white or Anglo Saxon player. If a white player is called a white C in the heat of the game how do we deal with that if it even becomes an issue.

I understand all of it I really do.

But I grew up in High School at Kingswood High as a ten pound Pom, it wasn’t easy you had to survive with your fists otherwise the bullying would have been overwhelming. Same experience for the Mediterranean Descendants, Italian or Greek immigrants. Just the way it was.

It’s a very different world now that’s for sure.
I served for over 40 years in our Navy and a name for your appearance was run of the mill normal.

Ironically, a good friend is known to one and all as "Monkey", because, wait for it, he looks like a monkey.
Another friend had to get a service cap made specially because he has a larger head, he is known affectionately as "Headly".

You can probably guess some of the names thrown around for the heavier guys, those with glasses or short people.

Point is, nobody gets hurt from words (except some feelings might) and the problem has yet again been created by minority groups.

The lefties just want us run of the mill, overweight, balding, with glasses, nearly normal looking people to just shut up and be told what we can and can't say.

That's not what I served this country for.

As I said in the thread on the main board I grew up in the only white family in a Housing Commission block of units. I copped "white dog or white merkin daily". The f**kwits who think only white people can be racist are so f**king uneducated.

Spencer deserves 6 weeks and he's a scummy human or at best just a f**king dumb merkin.
Born and Bred Outback NSW. Predominately aboriginal, we had our moments with the "White fulla" business, life went on because that's all I knew. As years went on the Aboriginals started to become whiter, and the abuse started to become more personal.
In a twist of fate, Sam Kerr is facing criminal charges for calling a cop "stupid white bastard."

Pomoz

Bench
Oh Spencer! I don’t think he realised how serious it is to use that phrase. The “banter” defense doesn’t work when it comes to comments of a racial nature. I can’t help think he has been wound up to go out and prove he is “the man” for the Roosters and got completely carried away. He seemed amped up and just looking for trouble during the game.

He didn’t do that for us because Fish and Moses kept him in check. Ivan would have yanked him off the field if he saw him carrying on like that. Unfortunately, Robinson has form when it comes to looking the other way when his players go a bit crazy.

I don’t for a minute believe he is racist, the Panthers team is truly multi-cultural and he was loved by his team mates. Perhaps, because he has an ethnic background they are likely to be less harsh with the penalties. That is his best hope.

Imagine if he was caucasian? You can almost hear the hooves of the posse as they try to string him up. It’s bad enough as it is with people like Trell calling for massive penalties before he was even found guilty.

I would just like to say, aside from players speaking out before he was even found guilty, which is just not acceptable, I am proud of the way the players have reacted and the Bronco’s players for supporting Ezra. They won’t tolerate racism. Contrast this with the AFL and how Adam Goodes was treated. Absolutely disgusting treatment that led to him quitting the game. An embarrassing stain on Australia’s cultural identity.

Last edited: