What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
I get your stance here and I appreciate it. What I'm saying May isn't some random bloke who been blindsided by an out of the blue accusation. He's a prick
He may well be, probably is, but this was announced today and people have him convicted already and that mate is just wrong. There’s just much more relevant information, evidence not yet known which will become available in time.

soc123_au

Staff member
Some of you seriously have no idea, no idea of our criminal justice system. You just read an article in the media and form an opinion. You draw conclusions from a fraction of the relevant information being available. Not facts, not evidence you all just run off half cocked. I was by suggesting the offence may have happened in a taxi, I was suggesting we don’t really no at this point where it happened or anything of substance.
The criminal justice system is flawed, all I care about is he did it or he didn't. I don't want him hung on an accusation, but most of your post was about details not relevant to did he whack his Mrs or not. I don't care about mitigating circumstances either, I had an ex come at me with a pair of scissors many moons ago, didn't whack her.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The criminal justice system is flawed, all I care about is he did it or he didn't. I don't want him hung on an accusation, but most of your post was about details not relevant to did he whack his Mrs or not. I don't care about mitigating circumstances either, I had an ex come at me with a pair of scissors many moons ago, didn't whack her.
The only time I'd give a pass is if the woman was attacking the children. I've also been hit by partners and never raised a hand back

age.s

First Grade
The bar assault didn’t bother me I stuck up for him. But the speeding thing alone shows he’s a dopey merkin. And i say this as someone with quite a few tattoos, anyone who gets their last name tattooed across their neck in big bold letters is probably a f**king shit merkin
Yeah I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the bar fight, particularly given some of the shit footy players have to put up with on a night out that most of us don't. But the speeding thing was disgusting. Flying down a suburban street at that speed, its only luck his mate didn't kill some child. merkin move to glorify it by posting it to social media, promote it to fans he's gained in no small part for the faith our club has shown in him.

betcats

Referee
Yeah I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the bar fight, particularly given some of the shit footy players have to put up with on a night out that most of us don't. But the speeding thing was disgusting. Flying down a suburban street at that speed, its only luck his mate didn't kill some child. merkin move to glorify it by posting it to social media, promote it to fans he's gained in no small part for the faith our club has shown in him.

Yep him acting like that speeding was cool gave me serious doubts about his headspace. The fact he was in car with mate his mate driving and speeding I can forgive, I don’t like it but at that age young fellas do dumb shit. But for him as an nrl player to film it and put it up is just beyond stupid.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have made reasonable attempts to be objective, few if any are interested in listening to reason and instead I am an idiot go figure that one

Once Police are involved AVO is mandatory. Being a male doesn't look good for him, way of the world. The only way he will be let off is if his Mrs backs him up.

age.s

First Grade
I think its reasonable to say he could be genuinely innocent here. It's the idea that you shouldn't be allowed to state your opinion on the balance of probabilities and invoking a criminal justice standard of proof for opinions on an internet forum, thats not even remotely reasonable.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think its reasonable to say he could be genuinely innocent here. It's the idea that you shouldn't be allowed to state your opinion on the balance of probabilities and invoking a criminal justice standard of proof for opinions on an internet forum, thats not even remotely reasonable.
Forget about the fact he could be innocent. That is for a criminal court and it’s presiding Magistrate to determine.

There is no balance of probabilities invoking a criminal standard of proof on an internet forum, that is such an absurd statement it is beyond stupid.

The only information is what is contained in an article on Fox Sports or other outlet he allegedly punched his partner in the face and leg that is the sum total of what we know.

What I have tried to communicate is we don’t necessarily know where it happened, under what circumstances, we’re there any witnesses independent or othwerise, did Police attend, if not when was the complaint made, what other offences may have been involved leading to a late complaint of the alleged assault on the 8th April, when was the police investigation initiated, if they attended on the day of the incident why weren’t charges preferred there @nd then, why was he not arrested till this morning. I could go on the list of potential what and what ifs are exhaustive.

But it seems all reasonable discussion points are irrelevant, because charges have been preferred and on that basis alone many are more than happy to his contract torn up and convicting him in the court of public opinion.

I don’t condone or support violence against women, such behaviour is abhorrent but I am believer in our system of justice and regardless of any previous stupidity on his part he is entitled to the presumption of innocence.

age.s

First Grade
Forget about the fact he could be innocent. That is for a criminal court and it’s presiding Magistrate to determine.

There is no balance of probabilities invoking a criminal standard of proof on an internet forum, that is such an absurd statement it is beyond stupid.

The only information is what is contained in an article on Fox Sports or other outlet he allegedly punched his partner in the face and leg that is the sum total of what we know.

What I have tried to communicate is we don’t necessarily know where it happened, under what circumstances, we’re there any witnesses independent or othwerise, did Police attend, if not when was the complaint made, what other offences may have been involved leading to a late complaint of the alleged assault on the 8th April, when was the police investigation initiated, if they attended on the day of the incident why weren’t charges preferred there @nd then, why was he not arrested till this morning. I could go on the list of potential what and what ifs are exhaustive.

But it seems all reasonable discussion points are irrelevant, because charges have been preferred and on that basis alone many are more than happy to his contract torn up and convicting him in the court of public opinion.

I don’t condone or support violence against women, such behaviour is abhorrent but I am believer in our system of justice and regardless of any previous stupidity on his part he is entitled to the presumption of innocence.
Where did I say I wanted his contract torn up? I'd back whatever decision the club made on that as they're likely much closer to the situation than we are.

You sit here lecturing us like we're a jury, we're not. We're a bunch of people on the internet, discussing the situation and our opinion on what may or may not happen at this initial stage. No ones pretending hes been convicted of anything, or theres only one way this could play out for him. You're taking the holier than thou position as you argue with a strawman. Its obnoxious and kind of boring.

Iamback

Coach
The only time I'd give a pass is if the woman was attacking the children. I've also been hit by partners and never raised a hand back

It is shit you copped that.

Not sure it takes 6 weeks to be charged in most cases though.

May can box, I'd expect some sort of medical treatment. I hope no one at the club has tried to cover it up

Kilkenny

Coach
Where did I say I wanted his contract torn up? I'd back whatever decision the club made on that as they're likely much closer to the situation than we are.

You sit here lecturing us like we're a jury, we're not. We're a bunch of people on the internet, discussing the situation and our opinion on what may or may not happen at this initial stage. No ones pretending hes been convicted of anything, or theres only one way this could play out for him. You're taking the holier than thou position as you argue with a strawman. Its obnoxious and kind of boring.
I’m not lecturing you on anything.

Im perhaps making valid points around why we need to exercise caution before passing judgement.

You don’t think the general conscenus on here hasnt already gone gone down the path on tear up the contract, he is a f**k wit narrative. Really.

If your not prepared to be objective and at least listen to alternative positions based on someone with knowledge of the criminal justice system that’s your prerogative.

Iamback

Coach
I’m not lecturing you on anything.

Im perhaps making valid points around why we need to exercise caution before passing judgement.

You don’t think the general conscenus on here hasnt already gone gone down the path on tear up the contract, he is a f**k wit narrative. Really.

If your not prepared to be objective and at least listen to alternative positions based on someone with knowledge of the criminal justice system that’s your prerogative.

To be fair most had enough of him before this.

He is one of those guys who can find trouble easily

Kilkenny

Coach
matters to me as it leads to why the delay.

Has someone promised hush money that now fell through?

That to me should lead in more heads rolling
Lamback, this why people need to take a step back and await further information arising from the court appearance on the 28th May.

We don’t know whether the alleged incident was actually reported to police on the 8th April.

It May have been but it may not have, we don’t know and that is why @mongst many other reasons we need to reserve judgement.