What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General NRL Media/Administration

NrlVader

Juniors
The new show on Fox, the lighthearted "The Professor" and again we have the stereotype Islander "Bouncer" as part of the show.

Just seems Indigenous/Islander heritage people who make up the bulk of the NRL playing members and community support are so poorly represented in the media/administration.

We've got a women's show now on Fox, stacked with only white women and pretty much every other show are stacked with white people. This is not playing the race card, but it's 2017 and we have no diversity of ethnicity in the media. The NRL have been progressive to have more women involved - media, club CEO and Chairman, we have openly gay journalists and Todd Greenberg just last week championed same sex marriage.

I can probably count on one hand Indigenous/Islander media people covering the NRL. Justin Hodges ...

So painful to watch the screen sirens on the new League life show giving Tim Simona a slap down. Do they understand the challenges of say a player coming from a remote community and adjusting the bright lights of the city, the homesickness, temptations?

Fox, Footy Show, Nine .....

The bulk of players and fans? Hardly. The steady decline in Anglo-European people playing the sport is a reality but Indigenous and Islander players are not the majority, possibly in the NYC and soon in the NRL.

And there's quite a few non-White commentators and presenters. I don't have fox or watch magazine shows but I can think of Tallis, Daley, Hodges, Brad Cook in recent years. Yvonne Sampson is also Aboriginal and I have a feeling Blocker is too. Then there's the NZ crew that includes several Maori and islander players on tv and radio, like Owen Wright and Awen Guttenbeil.

And if you're linking Simona to naive kids dazzled by the bright lights of the city, it should be noted he was born in Auckland and grew up in Sydney.

Life's Good

Coach
Exactly, a handful.

Look at ESPN coverage of the NFL, M League etc.
ECT has pointed out more than a handful but you are pretty dismissive. Let me add a few:
Todd Greenberg - Jewish - CEO
Mal Meninga - Indigenous - Oz coach & commentator
Laurie Daley - Indigenous - Coach & commentator
Chris Sarra - Indigenous - NRL commission member
Stephen Kearney - NZ - Coach
Raelene Castle - female - CEO
Rebecca Frizzelle - female - CEO
Arthur Beetson- Indigenous-Immortal
Matt Cecchin - Gay - NRL referee
Andrew Webster - Gay - journalist
Nigel Vagana-NZ-welfare officer
There would be plenty of other 'minorites' represented but I think you will remain dismissive.
For the record I can't recall ESPN having any indigenous or islander commentators for those American sports you mention.....

NrlVader

Juniors
They are making Herman the Islander "Bouncer" sing and dance like a monkey at the end of the show on "The Professor" tonight.

Like what the Footy Show made Mario Fenech did 20 years ago.

Life's Good

Coach
Black African Americans, ESPN.

Handful as you quoted.
Thanks for proving my point about being dismissive. Might I suggest 2 things: dont watch the show or create a political party and go into bat for these minorities who we continue to marginalise.

NrlVader

Juniors
Foxtels-NRL-commentary-team-1200x600.jpg

BEgagN_CQAA4e3k.jpg

68f3ffaf1f99dc9c9e880d37c00e83fb

NRL_FootyShow_HEADERNEWresized.jpg

Next to zero Indigenous/Islander in the media.

Life's Good

Coach
What a clever little boy you are being able to post photos. By the way Slater left the footy show a while back but I wouldn't expect you to know that as you aren't big on fact checking.

Latest posts