What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Roosters chatter

I reckon billy smith will re-sign. Allen would be a good idea too for depth since momo has gone. I hope sandon stays as I'm high up on him and happy to lose Watson in that case.

There is 0 chance Manu doesn't re-sign and same for May and Sitilli

Brandon Smith can't negotiate until next year's his deal goes to end of 2025

JWH will definitely retire and tupou is $1.01 to join him.

Keary is hard to say, depends on how he goes in 2024 IMO.
Billy owes it to us to stay given the club’s patience and loyalty shown to him. I’m happy for Watson to go and with Angus now not going to rugby, our cap strategy will need some rethinking and when I say rethinking, I mean letting Suaalii go to ruggers early in order to secure the others mentioned.
Keary is a wait-and-see for me. He’s talking like he wants to continue when his contract is up. If his partnership with Sammy goes to a new level, he could be worth keeping for another year or two - cap depending of course. Still think he’s another head knock from retiring, though.

Last edited:
I expect Tupou and JWH will retire after next season. Jared is 34 years old, so I'm amazed his body has held up so well and he mentally wants to continue, just I see it being his last hurrah. I saw Dom Young's signing as the club planning for Tupou's eventual retirement since they went looking for a winger with a similar playing style.

Valheru

Coach
Nothing too surprising here but eh club has officially confirmed the departure of the following

Nathan Brown
Corey Allen
Drew Hutchison
Jaxson Paulo
Fletcher Baker
Jake Turpin
Paul Momorovski
Ben Thomas

Nothing yet confirmed either way for Billy Smith or Connor Watson although the former is expected to ink a new deal very soon.

Nothing too surprising here but eh club has officially confirmed the departure of the following

Nathan Brown
Corey Allen
Drew Hutchison
Jaxson Paulo
Fletcher Baker
Jake Turpin
Paul Momorovski
Ben Thomas

Nothing yet confirmed either way for Billy Smith or Connor Watson although the former is expected to ink a new deal very soon.

I thought they may have re-signed Corey Allen owing to Momirovski leaving and Toia being out for the bulk of 2024 whilst recovering from his second ACL

So the squad with Contracts for 2024 so far are - - 24 players

Tedesco
* Tupou
Suaalii
* Manu
Dominic Young
* Murphy
Toia
Pauga
* Keary
Walker
* JWH
Leniu
Collins
* Brandon Smith
* Sandon Smith
Moriarty
* N Butcher
E Butcher
Wong
Radley
* Crichton
* May
* Whyte
* Tupouniua

Players with * are free to negotiate with other clubs from Today

Off Contract - Billy Smith / Connor Watson

Development Contracts

Alex Young

Sandon Smith was on a development contract but one assumes he would have been upgraded to a top 30 contract ?

H.H

Juniors
Shame about Corey Allen.

Reckon he did a great job for us when needed this year. Would've been good to keep him as a depth player.

Shame about Corey Allen.

Reckon he did a great job for us when needed this year. Would've been good to keep him as a depth player.

I suspect salary cap $ are tight. Who's more important to re-sign, Corey Allan or Billy Smith? As Billy doesn't have a contract for 2024 at all.

Valheru

Coach
All good so just waiting on Joey now which I’m pretty confident of
I'd be stunned if Joey left, from what I hear he loves the joint and robbo and is willing to take a little less to stay for life. I expect him to be our next 300 one club man.

Also, I read an article that suggested Brandon Smith will trigger his player option for 2025 imminently. The club has done really well to move swiftly this off season to confirm our core for the next 2 seasons.

I'd be stunned if Joey left, from what I hear he loves the joint and robbo and is willing to take a little less to stay for life. I expect him to be our next 300 one club man.

Also, I read an article that suggested Brandon Smith will trigger his player option for 2025 imminently. The club has done really well to move swiftly this off season to confirm our core for the next 2 seasons.
This is one of my favourite rugby league tropes along with ‘he’s training the house down’ and describing a great player as ‘a freak!’
Excellent news on Brandon. I don’t want to jinx it but I can’t help feeling optimistic for next year.

They’ve been a great partner and they showed respect for our jersey by integrating their logo into the design and not dominating it like NIB have done with Knights. I hope a future sponsor is equally respectful.

I’m in two minds here. I like Steggles for reasons outlined above but always thought they weren’t cool enough for a glamour club like ours. I think it could explain less than stellar jersey sales in spite of its awesome design. I have nine jerseys myself but haven’t bought one since 2010, the 75 GF anniversary addition. Would love to see a brand like Audi but just displaying the four rings for example or a financial institution, something that befits our status as eastern suburbs snobs lol. I hope it’s not the blocky ‘RR‘ Red Rooster logo!

Would love to know how this came about. Were the club asking for more money or has another partner come forward offering more?