What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germany Rugby League?

dimitri

First Grade
apparently the game is also established in the UNIVERSITIES there

however if these are german uni's or british type unis in germany

is anyones guess

Big-Hitter

Juniors
dimitri said:
apparently the game is also established in the UNIVERSITIES there

I don't know where you got this info from but it's not true.

The only rugby league currently played in Germany is on the British forces bases there. GB Students sent a development squad over there to play the squaddies a couple of years ago.

There is a bit of union there though.

Big Bunny

Juniors
There never has been a German rugby league. The extent of their involvement is the British Armed Forces RL which holds a regular competition when enough units are available. They have been receiving tours since the early 90's. At one stage there was a duel code club, or more correctly a union club looking for league fixtures but I don't think anything ever came of it. The only native German involvement in RL is the St.George supporters club based over there and I'm not even sure if they are still in operation.

I lived in Germany ages ago - there's tons of union if you know where to look for it.

I spoke to a guy a while ago who played for a club who played league, they eventually folded though as there was no one to play against.

However, the biggest growing sport in Germany is American Football (their obsession with it is absolutely mystifying). Bigger than every other contact sport in Germany put together and then multiplied by about 50.