What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gerrard- Red/Blue/Red Devil/Galactico?

GreenGuy

Well everyone knows about the speculation of Stevie Gerrard jumping off the seemingly sinking ship which is Liverpool FC. Benitez needs success for his key players to remain at the club, but the squad needs a bit more evolving before i can see more silverware in their trophy cabinet.

Chelsea have ruled out making a move for him in the January transfer window, but will re-assess the issue at the end of the season. Money talks, and we all know about Abramovich's bank balance.

Sir Alex Fergurson is a keen admirer of Gerrard, and usually what SAF wants, SAF gets- but $ may be a problem. He has been told by the Chairman that someone has to be sold before another purchase is made. This leaves the future of fringe players such as Kleberson, Phil Neville and even Louis Saha in doubt.

Real Madrids problem has always been plugging the hole in the middle of the park. Sure their defence has been a shambles in the past couple of seasons, but they have lacked that holding player with a bit of mongrel in the centre of midfield. Walter Samuel and Jonathan Woodgate, when fit are a decent stopping partnership, and with their ambition to bring at least 1 'galactico' to the Bernabeu stadium every off-season, would they swoop for the England international?

The question is, would Steven Gerrard make the ultimate betrayal, and join a rival club in order to find success, or would he be satisfied to remain at the Reds and risk his career? Surely he wouldn't want to be asking himself 15 years down the track what could have been :?: :arrow:

DJ Raida

Bench
i think he would, especially for the money chelsea would shell out for him, hes only young, and has plenty of time to turn into an amazing player

I think chelsea will spurge on him, making an offer too good for liverpool to refuse, such as the offer manchester made for rooney.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
If he does go to Chelsea, well you cant say they are guaranteed the title but they will be white hot favourites.

A midfield of:

Robben-----Lampard-----Gerrad-----Duff

is irresistable. And that isnt including the likes of Makelele, Scott Parker, Joe Cole and Smertin.

In-goal

Bench
I think a move to the continent is on the cards should he leave Liverpool, Every club will have an interest but only a handful can afford and offer the silverware.

Real Madrid???
Juventus???
AC Milan???
Bacelona???
Manchester United???
Monaco???

DJ Raida

Bench
as a man u fan, id love to have him at manchester- hes still young and could have a huge future at old trafford. I think chelsea will get him though :?

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
A midfield of:

Robben-----Lampard-----Gerrad-----Duff

is irresistable. And that isnt including the likes of Makelele, Scott Parker, Joe Cole and Smertin.
Actually, I would love to see Chelsea play that compared to what they do now. It doesn't have the strength and defensive capablities of what they could have, and would find it hard to dominate teams who looked to physically control them in the middle of the park. However, if they simply put Gerrard into the third central midfield role next to Lampard and Makelele (the position where Tiago or Smertin normally play) then I would be officially scared. Those three in the centre, Duff and Robben roaming wide and then either Drogba or Gudjohnson upfront - devastating.

Despite popular belief, Gerrard is not a defensive midfield. He is an attacking playmaker who happens to be a good defender compared to the majority of other attacking players. There is a huge difference. Just like Scholes, Lampard, Zidane, etc, to play at his best he needs someone else in the midfield to do most of the dirty work. That's the reason why, if he did join Man Utd, he would never be a Keane replacement in terms of positioning.

Chelsea - possibly; as I said above they do seem to have one position in the central midfield up for grabs for a top player. Would give him the most money, but there is a lack of tradition and history which may turn him off.

Man Utd - Has a lot of tradition, history and worldwide appeal, but part of that history and tradition is as fierce rivals to his beloved Liverpool. Gerrard has in the past expressed his admiration for Fergie, something which Sir Alex gave right back.

Arsenal - Highly doubt they've got the money, although they did show some financial muscle when they bought Reyes.

Barca - Don't think they need him.

Real - May finally be running low on cash after years of galactico signings. However I wouldn't write them off if they really set their eyes on Gerrard.

Then there are the Italians. Depending on how the big three's (Milan, Juve and Inter) finances are, I actually feel this is, along with Chelsea, the most likely destination for him.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I cant see Gerrard going to Italy. If he did leave London I can imagine him alonside Woodgate, Owen and Beckham at Real.

In England it's a two horse race between Chelsea and Man U.

In-goal

Bench
Yeah Liverpool right near Stamford Bridge also just a short walk to highbury :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Foz

Bench
There is no way Gerrard would end up at Man U.
The supporters would make life extremely difficult for him and he knows it.
If Gerrard played for another English Club it would be Arsenal or Chelsea but my money is IF he left that he'd be off to Spain with his mate Mikey's team.

Matt23

Staff member
Either he'll remain a red (he wont play against Liverpool) or become a galactico

MONY

Juniors
GERRARD WILL STAY AT LIVERPOOL................

full strength team and liverpool will beat anyone. think of the talent they have there.

Kewell, luis Garcia, baros, cisse, xabi alonso.