What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Vee

First Grade
I would add the Central Coast Bears so a 9 team top flight presence would occur. Eventually these 9 teams would be part of a metropolitan only relegation and promotion conference . Eventually a 20 team comp would be good with another Brisbane club, West Coast team and another area that shows promise.
You're on drugs

Stallion

First Grade
You're on drugs

Following the tact thats been advocated by some in this thread will quicken the decline of the code. I suppose if thats what u want go for it. You take culture, history and respect away you see a lost game and code. The Sydney clubs are the foundations of the NRL. Your disdain for these clubs will ultimately lose public confidence and regard for what is a popular competition which has legitimacy courtesy of its history.
And the drug comment is quite apt given the nonsense Im witnessing from some of the contributers in this site. Brings me back to my uni days and I might need some weed with the scurrilous comments of some.

Vee

First Grade
Following the tact thats been advocated by some in this thread will quicken the decline of the code. I suppose if thats what u want go for it. You take culture, history and respect away you see a lost game and code. The Sydney clubs are the foundations of the NRL. Your disdain for these clubs will ultimately lose public confidence and regard for what is a popular competition which has legitimacy courtesy of its history.
And the drug comment is quite apt given the nonsense Im witnessing from some of the contributers in this site. Brings me back to my uni days and I might need some weed with the scurrilous comments of some.
Blah, blah, blah

Vee

First Grade
Vee. I've noticed you have liked some of my previous thread posts that follow that same theme? Why the change in thought?
If you say so, can't be shagged to check but, if true, I would suggest there would be subtle but significant differences between what I liked and the dribble you're peddling now.

Stallion

First Grade
If you say so, can't be shagged to check but, if true, I would suggest there would be subtle but significant differences between what I liked and the dribble you're peddling now.
Their's a "like' directly related to maintaining clubs and avoiding dilution of the clubs in Sydney that u have put a 'like' to. I can quote you details if u like?

Perth Red

Post Whore
And ruin the foundation and reason why the NRL is in the public eye!

Too few fans, too many teams. No business runs more outlets in one area than it has customers for. NRL is not popular enough in Sydney to sustain nine teams long term. Time for another rationalisation like in 1999.

Stallion

First Grade
Too few fans, too many teams. No business runs more outlets in one area than it has customers for. NRL is not popular enough in Sydney to sustain nine teams long term. Time for another rationalisation like in 1999.

And continue to tear up established support thats been followed and culturally significant over many decades. A good way to dismantle rugby league Thought you had changed your destructionist stance with an earlier post? Looks like you are back to derailing the game and code again.Even if the support is dormant , its still there. And it matters.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
And continue to tear up established support thats been followed and culturally significant over many decades.

Established support with cultural significance that has consistently shown its self to be incapable of supporting its clubs.

Having 9 clubs in Sydney is a classic case of over supply and of putting way to many eggs into one basket, the amount of sponsorship, broadcasting rights, corporate, and government money alone that we are forgoing by maintaining an unnecessarily large amount of Sydney clubs at the expense of new clubs in new markets (such as Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Wellington, Christchurch, etc, etc) would be absolutely staggering and enough of an argument in of it's self to strip at least 4 clubs out of Sydney for the greater good of both the sport and the NRL, and all in the name of tradition and baseless assertions that if we did things differently the skies would fall in.

A good way to dismantle rugby league Thought you had changed your destructionist stance with an earlier post? Looks like you are back to derailing the gane and code again.Even if the support is dormant , its still there. And it matters.

A dormant supporters base is a bit like a silent majority in the way that they don't matter at all, because by their very nature they aren't participating in the discussion.
They may be the majority, but they don't care enough to take any actions, so who f##king cares what they think because they don't even care enough to express their opinions themselves let alone take action based on those opinions.

Besides, in my experience most dormant fans aren't actually dormant, they're either not really that interested in the sport to begin with, are over their phase of being a hardcore fan, or are dead fans that are still being counted.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

Rationalisation is an inevitability for every business eventually, and the NRL is in desperate need of one, but for the love of god lets not have one anything like the one in 99.

Surely we can hope for one that is organised with at least at little bit of competency and not at all like the absolute clusterf##k that was the peace deal.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Gosford is outside of Sydney. What it does is consolidate the game and increase rivalries with more local derbies. The mistake being made is that diluting the code sends a negative message to neutral fans and many longtime fans.. Additional clubs are the way to go. Otherwise the mess continues.

I dont think you understand what "dilute" means....

If 11 nsw teams isnt enough rivalry, i dont think a 12th will really fix much.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And continue to tear up established support thats been followed and culturally significant over many decades. A good way to dismantle rugby league Thought you had changed your destructionist stance with an earlier post? Looks like you are back to derailing the gane and code again.Even if the support is dormant , its still there. And it matters.

Lose small fanbases to bring in big ones. Tough love is never easy.

This alleged fanbase isn't dormant, its non existant

Stallion

First Grade
Lose small fanbases to bring in big ones. Tough love is never easy.

This alleged fanbase isn't dormant, its non existant

You assert that these established Sydney clubs have small fanbases. So Cronulla Sutherland and other 'smaller' clubs haven't created a fanbase outside of their area despite winning a premiership and being competitive. I think you underestimate the effects of genuine longevity and the credibility that goes with this. Once again your backflip is dissappointing. Negativity must sit well with you.

Stallion

First Grade
I dont think you understand what "dilute" means....

If 11 nsw teams isnt enough rivalry, i dont think a 12th will really fix much.

I think the dudes whom convinced the rugby league administrators in the so called superleague agreement knew what 'dilute' meant. 'Weaken'!

Stallion

First Grade
Rationalisation is an inevitability for every business eventually, and the NRL is in desperate need of one, but for the love of god lets not have one anything like the one in 99.

Surely we can hope for one that is organised with at least at little bit of competency and not at all like the absolute clusterf##k that was the peace deal.

You call it rationalisarion I call it diluting the core of the game in Sydney. Melbourne have 10 top flight AFL clubs with 1million less people than Sydney which has 8.5 top flight NRL clubs. One code seems to be going ahead and the other keeps regressing? Go figure. If I were the NRL I would show the same intent as the AFL in junior development. Thats progress. Please note that the AFL has universal presence in both public and private schooling. This is not the case for rugby league. As rugby league dismantles itself(courtesy of superleague logic) more neutral fans see a weakness and go elsewhere for their 'footy' fix.

Stallion

First Grade
If you want

September 13th page 375 of thread 'like'. Topic was on 'Tyrrany of distance' with the geography of Sydney clubs and the issue of external one city clubs being vulnerable when things go bad.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Relegate a Sydney team to nsw cup and bears can come in at Gosford. No way any future expansion slot should be taken by yet another mediocre nsw club.

Nah, the Bears have ditched the CC. Havent you heard, they are now totally committed to the GC since like last week...

Partial relocation by the Rooster/Eagles (StGeorge style) is what Gosford should be aiming for.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I would add the Central Coast Bears so a 9 team top flight presence would occur. Eventually these 9 teams would be part of a metropolitan only relegation and promotion conference . Eventually a 20 team comp would be good with another Brisbane club, West Coast team and another area that shows promise.

P&R for Sydney exclusively. This would actually be brilliant for the game...

It protects the vital markets across the regions/interstate, and travel costs in the lower grade would be nothing (the longest trip for this second division would be Manly to Campbeltown).

Get some fear back in fans that (if you dont turn up, your team might not be here next year) and it gets some excitement back in the game (the closed shop we have is f*cking dull).

And, if a team want to protect it place in the NRL, all they need to do is relocate to a city outside of the Sydney division area.