What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

How anyone thought a GC team playing 1-3 at NSO was ever a good idea is beyond me.

The Bears bid is Florimo. And that's about it. It's sad but so too are Newtown Jets and Balmain Tigers.

In fact, I think a Jets return is more likely than a resurreted Bears.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
How anyone thought a GC team playing 1-3 at NSO was ever a good idea is beyond me.

The Bears bid is Florimo. And that's about it. It's sad but so too are Newtown Jets and Balmain Tigers.

In fact, I think a Jets return is more likely than a resurreted Bears.

If the institution behind the Bears is keen to get back into the NRL, they should be looking to take up the Balmain share of the WTs JV.

If, on the other hand, it is just about getting the brand back into the NRL at all costs, they are useless to the NRL and any prospective clubs.

Pommy

Coach
Anyone know if marwan koukash made a serious bid?
It would be great to see him kicking off at the NRL. :):):)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

In fact, I think a Jets return is more likely than a resurreted Bears

In still bummed the Jets never merged with Easts.

East Sydney Jets in the Blue-Bags jumper would have made them actually likeable...

flippikat

Bench
For a while now, I've honestly thought the best bet for the Bears is...

NOT the Central Coast - that should be the destination for an existing Sydney club to relocate to.

NOT the Gold Coast (or Brisbane, or anywhere in Queensland) - they won't buy into a NSW transplant.

NOT Perth - They have their own brand they've built during their "wilderness years", and the Pirates name and colours are marketing gold, not to be messed with.

I think the choice for the Bears boils down to two - Adelaide & Christchurch.

Adelaide Bears: Adelaide only had the Rams for two years, and hasn't built a "bid brand" to come back into the NRL like Perth has with the Pirates. The Bears colours suit a team from SA, and there's no in-built hostility to a team relocated to the degree that Queensland would have.

Mainland Bears: Christchurch likewise has no bid on the table, but it could be a good strategic move to have a 2nd NZ team (and all the benefits that brings) dove-tailed into the revival of a foundation brand. Extra bonus is that the representitive colours of the Christchurch's "Canterbury province" are red and black.
Under this scenario, it would be a good idea if the Warriors rebranded to "North Island Warriors" (blue, white & green perhaps?), and the Bears could take a game or two to Dunedin or elsewhere in the South Island. As for the name? The "Mainland" is colloquially what we Kiwis call the South Island.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Bears to Adelaide is the only one i would back...

Under this scenario, it would be a good idea if the Warriors rebranded to "North Island Warriors" (blue, white & green perhaps?), and the Bears could take a game or two to Dunedin or elsewhere in the South Island. As for the name? The "Mainland" is colloquially what we Kiwis call the South Island.

I would actually like to see the Warriors go back to Auckland and the new team try to position as the Everything-Else team (a city-Country allignment) with whatever name is appropriate to that set up.

Diesel

Referee
The Auckland Rugby League are in the final stages of due diligence to buy the Warriors. The Warriors will eventually revert back to Auckland and will adopt the Auckland colours of blue and white.

flippikat

Bench
Bears to Adelaide is the only one i would back...

I would actually like to see the Warriors go back to Auckland and the new team try to position as the Everything-Else team (a city-Country allignment) with whatever name is appropriate to that set up.

Fair points, I think the Christchurch idea for the Bears was a *bit* of a stretch that I was making, basically stemming from the red & black colours. New Zealand can be split North Island / South Island OR Auckland vs the rest - but one thing's for sure, it's a market that needs a rivalry, just as Brisbane is.

Adelaide would be a great choice if we had to bring back the Bears brand - I honestly think it's the only Australian location that makes sense.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Fair points, I think the Christchurch idea for the Bears was a *bit* of a stretch that I was making, basically stemming from the red & black colours. New Zealand can be split North Island / South Island OR Auckland vs the rest - but one thing's for sure, it's a market that needs a rivalry, just as Brisbane is.

Adelaide would be a great choice if we had to bring back the Bears brand - I honestly think it's the only Australian location that makes sense.

North-South island is the one i hear all the time, but it doesnt make much sense...

It would exclude Wellington as a home base, the South has a tiny population and (as far as im away) the rivalry isnt huge.

On the other hand, going for Auckland-Rest given NZ2 a huge population to play to, they can pick any city they want as a base and the City-country rivalry is easily the biggest divide i have seen in NZ.

Paving the way for a New Zealand NRL club to play out of Wellington perhaps?

Not really relevant. In fact, from a Warriors POV, id be inclinded to remain "NZ" if a 2nd team was coming; perminantly delegate them to "little brother" as the Broncos have with the Titans...

Saying that, i think "Auckland Warriors VS New Zealand Orcas" would be a perfect naming scheme.

Vee

First Grade

I liked your Christchurch line, except that Wellington is arguably a better location (financial support vs RL support). The colours fit at Christchurch or SA was an interesting idea.

I always liked the idea of the Sharks moving to Adelaide and putting the Great Australian Bight on opponents.

flippikat

Bench
North-South island is the one i hear all the time, but it doesnt make much sense...

It would exclude Wellington as a home base, the South has a tiny population and (as far as im away) the rivalry isnt huge.

On the other hand, going for Auckland-Rest given NZ2 a huge population to play to, they can pick any city they want as a base and the City-country rivalry is easily the biggest divide i have seen in NZ.

Good point, and as far as population-base goes, Auckland vs the rest of NZ does make sense.. and Wellington as geographical centre of NZ makes sense as a base for most home games, with 2-3 home games per year in Christchurch.

Other NRL teams can leverage off the 2nd NZ team by taking THEIR home game vs NZ2 to other NZ locations like Dunedin or Hamilton. Just how some teams currently take their Warriors games to NZ.

I think the sad thing is, the Bears are now basically Greg Florimo. And the logo and colours. And nostalgia. But they'll probably never shift as many units of merchandise than Newtown do and will eventually fade out of memory much like Glebe and Annandale.

The NRL has options to move to - Perth, Adelaide, Central Coast, Central Queensland, Brisbane 2, PNG, Fiji and another in NZ. I don't think they need to hang the Bears on any of these. If they can, so be it. But I can't forsee a new region adopting the colours and logos of a team that have been out of the top flight for almost 20 years.

As far as the logo and colours go, the colours can be adopted by someone else (the Warriors basically use them anyway). The bear can just hibernate. It's sad but true.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...arlc-chairman-john-grant-20171216-h05wg7.html

Bears turn to women's league
Having missed out on the NRL licence on the Gold Coast, the North Sydney Bears have turned their attention to securing one of the six spots up for grabs for the inaugural elite women's competition.

The new tournament will kick off in August and games will be staged as double-headers in the lead-up to and during the NRL finals. While up to 14 of the 16 NRL clubs are expected to jockey for a place in the competition, the Bears have revealed their desire to also be considered.

"Women in rugby league is a major priority for the Bears," club chairman Perry Lopez said. "We see a fantastic opportunity for our fans to have a great game-day experience around the women's competition, the under-20s competition, Jersey Flegg and the Intrust Super Premiership."

The NSWRL is seeking expressions of interest for women's teams. The Bears will look to enter a team in what they view as an important first step towards involvement in the NRL's elite competition.

"We'll be working hard to secure a spot," Lopez said. "Women playing elite rugby league is a great story and we want to be a part of it."

Bears fans were crushed by the NRL's decision not to award them the Gold Coast licence. The Bears haven't given up their dream after the Titans were handed to a consortium comprising Darryl Kelly, Rebecca Frizelle and their families.

Stallion

First Grade
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...arlc-chairman-john-grant-20171216-h05wg7.html

Bears turn to women's league
Having missed out on the NRL licence on the Gold Coast, the North Sydney Bears have turned their attention to securing one of the six spots up for grabs for the inaugural elite women's competition.

The new tournament will kick off in August and games will be staged as double-headers in the lead-up to and during the NRL finals. While up to 14 of the 16 NRL clubs are expected to jockey for a place in the competition, the Bears have revealed their desire to also be considered.

"Women in rugby league is a major priority for the Bears," club chairman Perry Lopez said. "We see a fantastic opportunity for our fans to have a great game-day experience around the women's competition, the under-20s competition, Jersey Flegg and the Intrust Super Premiership."

The NSWRL is seeking expressions of interest for women's teams. The Bears will look to enter a team in what they view as an important first step towards involvement in the NRL's elite competition.

"We'll be working hard to secure a spot," Lopez said. "Women playing elite rugby league is a great story and we want to be a part of it."

Bears fans were crushed by the NRL's decision not to award them the Gold Coast licence. The Bears haven't given up their dream after the Titans were handed to a consortium comprising Darryl Kelly, Rebecca Frizelle and their families.

A Bears womens rugby league team playing out of Central Coast stadium or the odd game at North Sydney oval would be positive for North Sydney rugby league.

mave

Coach
The Bears are simply scavengers these days.
They are shameless in jumping on any bandwagon to try and remain relevant.

Stallion

First Grade
The Bears are simply scavengers these days.
They are shameless in jumping on any bandwagon to try and remain relevant.

Two pretty obvious additions to the competition would be the Central Coast Bears and Brisbane/Sunshine Coast teams. Both areas full of juniors and fans. However the stagnant approach of current NRL administration is both perplexing and dissapointing.