What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Titans hatch plan to sign Israel Folau

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...k=6080d854352e57c281414f128734136f-1435009955

Gold Coast Titans hatch plan to sign Israel Folau

The Australian
June 23, 2015 12:00AM

Gold Coast are hatching a plan to use the funds and third-party arrangements previously set aside for Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, to bring dual international Israel Folau back to the NRL.

Winner of the 2014 John Eales Medal and Australian Super Rugby player of the year, Folau’s signature is the most sought-after prize in Australian sport.

Off-contract at the conclusion of the upcoming Rugby World Cup, it is believed Folau will take-up a lucrative short-term deal with Japanese rugby, whose season concludes in late February.

Since linking with the NSW Waratahs after a short, though highly profitable stint with AFL newcomers the GWS Giants, Folau has established himself as Australian Rugby’s most valuable asset and both the ARU and Waratahs are confident of tabling an offer which will keep him in the 15-man code long-term.

However, after the debacle surrounding Cherry-Evans’s backflip on his deal with the club, coupled with the impending loss of skipper Nate Myles, the Titans appear to be the one club with the salary cap space which, with financial assistance from the NRL’s so-called “war chest”, would allow them to table a bid worth Folau’s consideration.

The giant fullback has made no secret of his passion for the NRL, recently describing the chance to play in the annual State of Origin series as a career highlight.

And while it would appear a long shot, that hasn’t stopped the *Titans putting the wheels in *motion for a last-minute bid for the tri-code superstar.

The idea has won overwhelming support from league heavyweights, including former Broncos and Kangaroos skipper Darren Lockyer and NRL commentator and former NSW and Test playmaker Matthew Johns.

Lockyer used his weekly newspaper column recently to take the NRL to task over its inaction during the contract negotiations of both Folau and Queensland Reds signing Karmichael Hunt, adamant that for all David Smith’s big talk about bringing the best athletes to the NRL, when “push came to shove, the NRL inexplicably dithered in agreeing on a value for their respective contracts”.

That dithering cost Parramatta a signing that then-coach Ricky Stuart believed could have transformed the NRL’s “basket case” into a legitimate finals threat. With the young Titans having already proven themselves to be competitive, Folau is seen as the piece which could lift the Gold Coast to the “next level”.

But the Titans will look to strengthen a variety of positions with the millions freed up by the loss of Myles, five-eighth Aiden Sezer and Cherry-Evans.

While Bulldogs and NSW halfback Trent Hodkinson is thought to be high on their list of priorities, coach Neil Henry is also keen to bolster both the size and experience of his pack, with Canberra’s former Test prop David Shillington and Sydney Roosters powerhouse Sam Moa in discussions. Since returning from a broken thumb in round 10, Shillington has been one of the form forwards of the competition, averaging 145m in almost 50 minutes on the field per match.

He is understood to be torn between accepting a two-year contract extension and the chance to return to southeast Queensland with his young family.

“It is a tough decision,” he told The Australian . Hopefully I will have something sorted within the next fortnight.

“ I want to make sure I do it the right way so I don’t want to be seen to be playing this out in public.”

As a Rugby League Fan and a Titans Member I would love to see it , but can't see it happening but any club would be a fool not to try and sign him.

MarkC

Juniors
As an outsider looking in I recommend the Titans stop trying to sign high profile players for marketing / promotional purposes.

The best approach is to bring young junior players like Elgey through the ranks and boost the squad with sensible signings of lower profile forwards and outside backs as needed.

In other words, forget promotional purposes, just sign players for football reasons and build the best possible squad.

I'm not from the area, but I reckon it is a league area and the fans will turn up if a squad built around local talent turns up and has a dig each week.

I say signings like Idris, Taylor and DCE (attempt) were a mistake.

These are high profile players on big $$$$ but no guarantee they will turn up and have a dig.

The consistent mistake many clubs have is they don't have enough faith in their fans, yes fans drift away when the team is struggling and playing crap.

But fans want to see a decent effort each game, they don't necessarily want star players, a quick fix or an immediate premiership.

Latest posts