What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

dragon-83

Juniors
I think the losing team àfter golden should be awarded a point they deserve to get something out of the game and yes it should be golden try.

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
As an 'old school' Dragons fan, I don't rate the golden point rule.
What is wrong with a draw.
Two teams battling it out for a well earned draw!
One point is better than none.
Teams having had draws add a new / old, dimension to the ladder which is not a bad thing.
Yes, I'm old fashion, yes, I'm a baby boomer ............... and dam proud of it, just like my team, just like our older system of allowing for draws.

it ain't so bad people.
Even Gus likes the old system ........... and so should we all.
Golden point, in all it's format, is in contrast of the game we love.

Give 'Golden point' the boot.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

dr-evil-aie-quotes.jpg

Gareth67

First Grade
Teams having had draws add a new / old, dimension to the ladder which is not a bad thing.
Yes, I'm old fashion, yes, I'm a baby boomer ............... and dam proud of it, just like my team, just like our older system of allowing for draws.

it ain't so bad people.

Agree O.K.B.1 , that was the original idea . Two teams that had fought it out right to the end , they each deserved to go home with something , one point which would still help to get them to the end of season matches .

I believe that those clowns from the footy show were responsible for the introduction of golden point . They went on and on with it until the NRL decided upon introducing it in the game . By continuing to use the current system the teams are playing those extra minutes and at full pace . As we know that does take a lot out of a team , more so for the following weeks match .

I just hope that should fortune smile upon the Dragons this year , or whenever , that we do not find ourselves fighting for a semi spot in golden point time . As I don't know whom we could consider as our field goal sharp shooter ?

Last edited:

JDHD

Juniors
I don't mind golden point if it's played like this game and last week were. I hate seeing a team lose without touching the ball.

BigBoss

Juniors
Golden point is great, I personally love how the atmosphere of the entire stadium just re-ignites once the game turns into sudden death football. Everyone is pumped and on the edge of their seats hoping their team can scrape through. Even when I'm not following either team it still excites me watching it. I'm sure some of the dinosaurs out there will be of a different opinion but they can't deny how electric/vocal the crowd gets when it's extra time. But boy when your team wins it's an amazing feeling.

A draw just feels old fashioned/pointless to me. There's nothing worse then going to a game and having it end in a draw, you're just left feeling empty/hollow afterwards. I'd rather loose the game altogether then have the game end in a draw. There's nothing exciting about them at all. Isn't Rugby League supposed to be about entertaining the fans? Golden Point is extremely entertaining.

I do agree that during finals time it should be golden try though. But for regular season play I'm happy the way it is.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm not in favour of Golden Point, however, it looks like it's here to stay.

If they were to change it somewhat just so a result could be achieved then I would go this way and it does follow what the finals Golden Point looks like:
1. 10 mins extra time, not olden Point. Team with the highest score wins. If still locked up then
2. 5 mins Golden Point: if teams still locked up then
3. Share points

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
I'm not in favour of Golden Point, however, it looks like it's here to stay.

If they were to change it somewhat just so a result could be achieved then I would go this way and it does follow what the finals Golden Point looks like:
1. 10 mins extra time, not olden Point. Team with the highest score wins. If still locked up then
2. 5 mins Golden Point: if teams still locked up then
3. Share points

NFL golden point works really well.

We could do same - in regular season it's 15 minutes and team that scores most points wins. If scores are still locked up it's a draw and 1 point each.

In play offs same rule but if locked you go to next 15 minute block and if still locked after 30mins it's golden point.

BennyV

Referee
The Golden Try idea floated around is the best one. Teams can still rack up field goals and penalty goals and at the end of the 10 minutes, the team of top wins. But if a try is scored, it's game over.

In saying that, there's nothing actually wrong with golden point. It's no different to the last 5 minutes of regular time when the points are locked! And no, if a team is square after 80 minutes and then loses in GP, they shouldnt be getting a point, there's no prizes for second place and no encouragement awards in the NRL.

hewi

Bench
Should do the same as touch footie and players drop off the field to open the game up, however it must be a try to win.

SBD82

Coach

it ain't so bad people.

Baby boomers don't have a monopoly on common sense.

Nothing wrong with a regular season draw. Golden point can f**k off.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I hate the friggin golden point drop goal a-thon. Call it what it is.....a draw and 1 point each. In finals and deciding origin matches revert back to the old 5 minutes each direction in extra time.
Sometimes the old way is the right way and don't stuff around with it!!