What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good food leading up to a match?

Silky

Juniors
G'day all. This is my first post on here so... hello!

I've just come back to footy to play third grade in the South Coast Group 7 comp after 10 years away... i'm just wondering what people think is a good meal plan to stick with on the day before/ day of a game?

I know people talk about carbo loading etc?

Lets say i'm playing on a Saturday morning.... what should i be eating for Lunch + Dinner on Friday, and for breakfast on Saturday?

Cheers in advance.

dubo

Juniors
Big bowl of spaghetti bol with a generous serving of mince in it. Few bananas and a protein shake that is suited for pre training will work well, taken one to two hours before you start to warm up. I can't believe no one has offered any advise in two weeks. Come guys lift your game.

Danish

Referee
carb loading really isn't going to be necessary for a game of footy. Its benefits are really only accessed when you are completing a couple hours plus of exercise. In saying that, the wrong meal can make you feel very sluggish so its still a good idea to put a bit of thought into what you eat the night before and morning of a game.

IMO its more about avoiding foods that are going to cause you problems. High fibre foods or greasy/fatty meals can play havoc with your guts during a game. Providing you avoid those then whatever else you want to eat will be ok.

Personally the night before I have a running event (10k, city2surf, half marathon distances) I normally will have white pasta with chicken and a bit of pesto or a home-made pizza (VERY light on the cheese!), plus some garlic bread and a bottle of gatorade. Morning of normally just a couple muffins with honey.

Latest posts